Jaffa's Return

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by willid1 View Post
    What paint did you use? And was the colour a good match for the proper bilstein blue?.

Cheers

David
    Spray can (standard colour) from the paint rack in a French Motorists Discount store. I can look if there's a colour reference on the can.

It was such a good match, that only chipped parts of the leg had to be painted! Actually, after overnight drying, I decided to give them a complete coat anyway, but I wasn't able to detect the bits i had touched up the day before. Finish was nice too - not too glossy but more glossy than almost matt original.

Comment

• Originally posted by lee bishop View Post
      very nice, when will it be finished?
      As Confucius said "Zhi yu Dao". The journey is the goal. So really, it's finished now.

Comment

• Billies

I too have cleaned up a pair of Billies, got mine s/hand from the UK

They're a bit slow extending for my liking, is it "normal" for them to be a bit on the slow side or are my inserts knackered??

Comment

• Originally posted by rwdrs View Post
          They're a bit slow extending for my liking, is it "normal" for them to be a bit on the slow side or are my inserts knackered??
          Sounds ok to me. Mine take perhaps about 5 or 6 seconds to re-extend if I remember well.

Just trying to conjure up a mental picture of a shock absorber interior and can't at the moment think why the speed would relate to wear as (I think) it's governed by the hole sizes in the non-return valves.

If seals were worn I think there would be either external leakage or they wouldn't return to the original full extension. Must look at a diagram cross section tonight!

Comment

• Originally posted by dasadrew View Post
            Sounds ok to me. Mine take perhaps about 5 or 6 seconds to re-extend if I remember well.

Just trying to conjure up a mental picture of a shock absorber interior and can't at the moment think why the speed would relate to wear as (I think) it's governed by the hole sizes in the non-return valves.

If seals were worn I think there would be either external leakage or they wouldn't return to the original full extension. Must look at a diagram cross section tonight!

The normal reasons for slow return is either that the casing is bent or the casing and the bushings are full of crap...both of which will hinder (or sometimes halt completely!!) both the bump and the rebound action of the insert.

HTH's...

Comment

• just read through this thread m8,lovely looking car buddy,credit to you
              sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by GP4 View Post
                The normal reasons for slow return is either that the casing is bent or the casing and the bushings are full of crap...both of which will hinder (or sometimes halt completely!!) both the bump and the rebound action of the insert.

HTH's...
                Don't want to hijack your excellent thread Andrew, just for clarity's sake, my casing are pretty straight and full extension takes 4-5 s.
                Piston rod always has a thin film of oil on it, so maybe just about alright still.

Comment

• Have spent the last week doing the last bit of underfloor stuff. Being in a smallish garage, there was one side I couldn't do originally - the LH between sill and chassis rail.

To be honest, I'd more or less forgotten this, so had started to fit underfloor bits and pieces - $h1t!

I then noticed there were a few bits of the underfloor where the underseal wasn't totally up to scratch. You get the picture? Touched in the underseal and repainted the underfloor today from firewall to rear axle. Looks better now but still not the finish you could get on a chassis tilter

Rewarded myself by fitting the calipers. Managed to turn up some original Ford caliper pistons in the last weeks, so they went in now.

Before and after pics:

Bit of pipe-bending coming this way soon!

Comment

• superb work as always Drew

Comment

• great work Drew, car looks stunning, love the colour, any idea of completion date ??

Comment

• Originally posted by ian parker View Post
                        great work Drew, car looks stunning, love the colour, any idea of completion date ??
                        Thanks Ian. TBH, I have low visibility on the "completion". It will surely take another couple of years until seats are retrimmed, bla, bla.

At the moment, I don't know whether to:

a) "interrupt" the re-build, get the shell painted, then continue, or
                        b) complete the car mechanically, then put it in for a paint job by driving to the shop.

At the moment, I'm working on b), so it should be running and driveable this summer ready to drive up to the village for a repaint.

I know you did version a), but b) has the advantage for me that I can start clearing parts shelves quickly and I also can be a bit clumsy shuffling past the car in the garage with a gearbox in hand with no fear of scratching. I aim to have all the interior and "hidden" bits painted first anyway, so the paint shop won't have to paint under wings, in door jambs etc.

End of the year my posting to France runs down, so car MUST be movable, steerable, driveable by then. Unfortunately, things look like I may be spending summer weeks and months in Greece which will really kick progress in the teeth.

Comment

• I've just had my leccy Fan apart today and from what I can see the brushes look like ordinary alternator ones.
                          Drew did you try getting hold of some Lucas or Bosch type alternator brushes?

Comment

• Originally posted by rwdrs View Post
                            I've just had my leccy Fan apart today and from what I can see the brushes look like ordinary alternator ones.
                            Drew did you try getting hold of some Lucas or Bosch type alternator brushes?
                            To be honest, the brushes weren't a problem and had a lot of meat left on them. Problems were the tin clips which are rivetted to the body and which hold the stator magnets in place. They rust like he11 and then the bits strat mangling up the works inside. On one, the magnet blocks had been completely shattered.

Secondly, the shaft play in the bearing olives isn't brillinat and, when you clean up the surfaces, they have a lot of play. The balance of the fan blades is terrible and puts a lot of flapping about forces on the shaft.

Still, they don't run too long at any stretch so I'm hoping.....

BTW, just bagged another one on the 'Bay, so my ship might come in yet!

Comment

• Whilst rusty the whole bleedin thing was as rusty as ****, the magnets and clip are in one piece and there wasn't that much play in the olives, but the brushes are pretty sha...

I've measured them, and they are about 7.5 mm square, don't know what they come out of, but would like to renew them before reassembly, I've cleaned up the commutator, which was nicely grooved!

You didn't find out where to get any new bits for these fans by any chance?

Comment

• Like I mentioned earlier, wrote to Kenlowe and didn't even get told to naff off.

Comment

Working...
                                X