No announcement yet.

My new MK2 RS2000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking lovely this, and I love the reg number too!

Comment

• Originally posted by Hoogi View Post
      I'm stunned with the transformation of the bodywork...........very impressive.

Looks beautiful by the way
      Thanks for that

Comment

• Originally posted by RS2000EXPRESS View Post
        Looking lovely this, and I love the reg number too!
        Cheers.

Comment

• I was contacted by a photographer who had seen my RS on another forum, he wanted to take a few pictures of it for a feature in Used Cars NI magazine which will be out in a few weeks.
          He decided to use the same spot I used for the last photos, here are his pics

I thought they turned out great

Comment

• Whoooops......... link fixed now

Comment

• Just picked up the car today from Winston Henry's near Markethill.
              I asked him to change the gaskets on the carbs, service/set the carbs, set ignition timing correctly etc. and anything else he thought necessary.
              As soon as I started the car it even sounded so much better, and 500yds down the road I had a big smile on my face again, it now feels like a completely different car.

Comment

• I've not really had to do much lately.
                I took the spare wheel out last week and decided to clean it up a little. After washing it and removing any brake dust I used some Autosol to polish it up, some small bits of corrosion were easily removed and then polished up.
                I'm not sure whether the wheels were originally laquered to prevent corrosion but this one isn't. I finished the job off with a few coats of Collinite 476s wax for protection and then some tyre slick on the rubber, put some air in it and strapped it back in the boot.

Comment

• That looks like the one in my boot, except it isn't as shiny as it's gone a bit milky under the laquer. While I have about as much tread on the CN36 as you I don't think I'd trust a 30+ year old tyre on the road myself. Hope you've been out enjoying the RS since you had it tuned up.

Comment

• Originally posted by KelvinS1965 View Post
                    That looks like the one in my boot, except it isn't as shiny as it's gone a bit milky under the laquer. While I have about as much tread on the CN36 as you I don't think I'd trust a 30+ year old tyre on the road myself. Hope you've been out enjoying the RS since you had it tuned up.
                    The tyre looks in very good condition, there are no cracks in the sidewall or any signs of rubber perishing, probably because it has never really been exposed to sunlight, but I know what you mean.
                    I'll probably keep an eye out for another spare and keep this one tucked away.
                    Its a different car now since the carbs were set up properly, I just wouldn't trust anyone else to work on it.

Comment

• A bit more fiddling.

One of the first things I done n I got the car was to remove the bulkhead pad as it had cracks in it, small bits missing from the edges and was becoming very brittle.
                      I thought of a few different ways to try and revive it and settled on using some Tigerseal and then IsoFlex liquid rubber paint.
                      Both the seal and paint would remain flexible just like the original pad.
                      The idea I had was to remove some of the cracking rubber and then rebuild the missing bits with layer after layer of Tigerseal, it took quite a while as I let it dry each time for a few days, then forgot about it for a few weeks, then started work on it again, then forgot again etc etc.....
                      After the cracks were filled and I was happy with the basic shape round the edges I started to apply more layers of the rubber paint, waited again for it to dry, sanded, painted, sanded, painted until eventually I was ready to finish it off with some matt black paint.

Im sure I took some before pics but cant find them.

Heres after applying some Tigerseal to the missing area.

Gradually building up layers and then painted with Isoflex rubber paint and sanded back.

Eventually ready to put back on again.

I used the original brackets and clips that hold it in place.

Comment

• Final update for the year as the car is now SORN'd and tucked up nice and warm and snug until about March or April.

I had a quick check on the inner rear panels and wheel arch areas.

Fuel filler neck.

Rear arch and panel OK.

Panel and floor section.

When I confirmed all was OK, original and rust free I cleaned away some dust and sprayed with Waxoil.

I then removed the door cards with the intention of spraying the whole inside of the door but when I seen the original plastic was all still intact I just hadn't the balls to cut it or remove it so I just sprayed through any gaps or holes in it.

Passenger door.

Final job done was to replace the bulkhead pad retaining clips that I had sitting for about 6 months.

Sorry if some of this sounds a bit anal.

Comment

• nothing wrong with a bit of anal m8

lookin good

Comment

• Originally posted by vinny View Post
                            nothing wrong with a bit of anal m8

lookin good

I'll take your word for it.

Comment

• nice car .there .looks very soild
                              mine a seen it before on the irsh s club site.
                              keep up the good work.
                              dav

Comment

• Originally posted by bluevan1 View Post
                                nice car .there .looks very soild
                                mine a seen it before on the irsh s club site.
                                keep up the good work.

Cheers, yes its on there as well.

I cant wait now until the end of March to get it out of storage and get a run in it again.

Comment

Working...
                                X