• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mogsmex View Post
    4 speeds are the new 5 speeds
    Lol....Agreed !

My cars in the VbGarage

Comment

i found with a 4 speed you reving its nuts off all the time, put 5 speed in so much better rob!
      Too old of a cat 🐱 to be f--ked by a kitten

Comment

2.8 box is the way to go, but as Taff says keep the original gearstick

Comment

I have just gone over to the type 9 box.

Best thing I have done to the car. the tunnel needs to be pushed out by 11mm to add clearence.

But I kept in the back of my mind that maybe sometime in the future the 4 speed will need to be refitted.

Comment

i do LOTS of big mileage trips, still a 4 speed here, no probs really, have to keep the speed down a bit, but that keeps economy up and 8 hours of droning at high speed aint nice

grum, have you got straight cut gears in yours then??

Comment

Thought about changing it a while ago, but the 4 speed is still good enough.

Better shift, although it does make for a bit of engine noise at motorway speeds.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Dermot View Post
                Thought about changing it a while ago, but the 4 speed is still good enough.

Better shift, although it does make for a bit of engine noise at motorway speeds.
                I must get a type 9 for mine, for long trips the 4 speed is too noisy, and Autobahn speeds are a tad higher

Comment

Originally posted by hally View Post
                  i found with a 4 speed you reving its nuts off all the time
                  ........... errrrrrr yes ! ......... aint that how you meant to drive 'em ?

Comment

i've got a type 9 in mine which i find very good as i do alot of long motorway runs and like to cruise at 80 - 90

Comment

What is a type 9 gearbox? and what is the difference between a 2.8 one?

Mine has a four speed in, and just spoke with Hally about it, and he said 5 speed is better?

CheeRS

Daz

Comment

the 2.8 box has a better 1st gear for highly tuned cars, you need to get the input shaft machines to match the normal run of the mill type 9, you may need to replace the input shaft cover as well with the normal type 9.

The sierra type 9 ratios are fine on my car.

Comment

Everyone must be running a 3.54:1 diffs still as the 4 speed is to low geared for a 3.9:1 like im running the ratios are the sameish anyway.

Comment

2.8 Box here and a great addition. Has all the "RS" ratio's as the 4 speed with the overdrive 5th so perfect. Thing is, Now with a 3.9 LSD still rev's its tits off like the 4 speed used to....
                            Autumn Has Arrived by Kevin Frost, on Flickr

CHES'S UNDERSTUDY...........

Comment

Originally posted by Frosticles View Post
                              2.8 Box here and a great addition. Has all the "RS" ratio's as the 4 speed with the overdrive 5th so perfect. Thing is, Now with a 3.9 LSD still rev's its tits off like the 4 speed used to....
                              ''''''''Averaged 11mpg on the Lakes Tour...''''''

Good job you got the 5 speed Kev, otherwise the 4 speed would give you 7 mpg instead of the whopping 11 !

My cars in the VbGarage

Comment

Damn Right......
                                Autumn Has Arrived by Kevin Frost, on Flickr

CHES'S UNDERSTUDY...........

Comment

Working...
                                X