seam welding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• seam welding

I was thinking of seam welding my 79 rs2000 as per the rally prep book,i'm going to use the car for fast road & occasional track use and was wondering if this was O.T.T. The car is stripped to a shell at the moment for some welding,i'm just lookin for some opinions please

Mine seam welded all the way !!

As per the same book - go for it
    cheeRS

DAVE

Comment

A lot of it is seam brazing not seam welding - doesnt the Ford book make the point that welding can make it too brittle? Dont dismiss track as being an easier life for the shell. My rally car never used to loosen or split the rear firewall in the forests but always did when using racers on tarmac stages.

Comment

my fastroad/track car is seam welded but not fully i didnt do round the apertures but i did gusset and seamed the chassis rails does make a good strong shell for the track days mine has done 15+ and doesnt show signs of falling apart like some of the non seam welded cars that i have seen but ask any of the boys off here who i have took out ion my car and they will tell what i handles like :thumbleft: and the differance on the road is a solid feeling car that with the right suspension is a excellent fast 'A' road blaster

hope this helps m8

Comment

Too right Mex-IT

Here are a few of your previous passengers !!

Pity about their teeth though

[/img]
          cheeRS

DAVE

Comment

Do you know my dad then Dave?
            Autumn Has Arrived by Kevin Frost, on Flickr

CHES'S UNDERSTUDY...........

Comment

Cheers for the opinions looks like a bit of welding is due. :compress:

Comment

My shell was seem welded, best thing i did was the gusset the front.

Now i got a full cage welded in the strength is unreal....

Also a good point is the front chassis skids, add's quite a load of strength to a fairly weak point of the shell.

Comment

Quality gurning.
                  sigpic

Comment

DINGY,what do you mean by the front chassis skids

Comment

Its not Gurning !!!

Its just that their teeth fell out after a ride in Mex-ITs car !! - lol lol lol
                      cheeRS

DAVE

Comment

They go at the front outer edge of the chassis between the chassis and the sill.....

That is the full one, mine stop after about 12"s

Comment

Cheers for that Dingy,not sure whether i'll go for that,anyway just ordered the gusset boxes from Prefab anyone had any dealings with them?. i.e whats their quality like

Comment

Working...
                          X