No announcement yet.

Top gear..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's an entertainment program. That's all. You lot are are too old.
    Autumn Has Arrived by Kevin Frost, on Flickr

CHES'S UNDERSTUDY...........

Comment

Originally posted by In The Pit View Post
      I’ve always thought that the ‘new’ Top Gear is awful I used to like it in the mid to late 90’s when they had a greater variety of content and presenters. When they covered reviews, motor sport, classic cars, buying advice, motorbikes etc. The first and last time I watched the new Top Gear must have been around 2006/07 they were repeats on Dave I watched a number of episodes to see what all the fuss was about I couldn’t believe how boring it was all the episodes seemed to have the same format each week.

Bloke in a jump suit and crash helmet drives a fast car fast round a track.

Jeremy Clarkson interviews some ’celebrity’ I’ve never heard of (usually from a reality TV show or cookery program etc) he asks them what their first car was they say it was a Honda Accord, Jeremy makes fun of that even though then they were a student and it was 1986, then they talk about their new book/TV series/whatever (the reason why they agreed to go on there in the first place) then they drive either a Suzuki or Kia round a track whilst a camera records them pulling funny faces with bleeped out swearing. They then have to try and pretend they actually care how many minutes it took them.

Then there’s a bit where Jeremy and Richard have some car names on magnetic cards and they pin them on a metal board, the joke that is repeated every week is that Jeremy puts them high on the board so Richard can’t reach them.

There’s an outdoor filmed part where they buy some crap car for a hundred quid something like a twelve year old VW Golf with rusty arches, they laugh at the rusty arches then strap a washing machine to the roof and one of them drives it into a lake whilst the other two roll about on the bank in hysterics.

I don’t know if it’s still like that but all the episodes I saw were I couldn’t believe how terrible it was, everything was obviously scripted with a few xenophobic or far right comments thrown in for shock value and they all spoke in a weird put on sarcastic tone of voice. I’m guessing the newer series has a different format so can’t comment on that. I’m sure they must have dropped the parts with that magnetic board and the celebrity driving a car a long time ago as that was the worst part of all.
      Me thinks you're taking it too seriously!
      sigpic

Comment

Top Gear

It was quite informative for me this week. I finally found out how tea leaves nicked my Nova SRi off my driveway back in 1998....

Comment

Blimey lads, its made to be a laugh and shouldnt be taken too seriously. Its not particularly full of information but for an hours worth of car based dickin around its hard to beat! Crack open a tinnie and relax!
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by In The Pit View Post
            I’ve always thought that the ‘new’ Top Gear is awful I used to like it in the mid to late 90’s when they had a greater variety of content and presenters. When they covered reviews, motor sport, classic cars, buying advice, motorbikes etc. The first and last time I watched the new Top Gear must have been around 2006/07 they were repeats on Dave I watched a number of episodes to see what all the fuss was about I couldn’t believe how boring it was all the episodes seemed to have the same format each week.

Bloke in a jump suit and crash helmet drives a fast car fast round a track.

Jeremy Clarkson interviews some ’celebrity’ I’ve never heard of (usually from a reality TV show or cookery program etc) he asks them what their first car was they say it was a Honda Accord, Jeremy makes fun of that even though then they were a student and it was 1986, then they talk about their new book/TV series/whatever (the reason why they agreed to go on there in the first place) then they drive either a Suzuki or Kia round a track whilst a camera records them pulling funny faces with bleeped out swearing. They then have to try and pretend they actually care how many minutes it took them.

Then there’s a bit where Jeremy and Richard have some car names on magnetic cards and they pin them on a metal board, the joke that is repeated every week is that Jeremy puts them high on the board so Richard can’t reach them.

There’s an outdoor filmed part where they buy some crap car for a hundred quid something like a twelve year old VW Golf with rusty arches, they laugh at the rusty arches then strap a washing machine to the roof and one of them drives it into a lake whilst the other two roll about on the bank in hysterics.

I don’t know if it’s still like that but all the episodes I saw were I couldn’t believe how terrible it was, everything was obviously scripted with a few xenophobic or far right comments thrown in for shock value and they all spoke in a weird put on sarcastic tone of voice. I’m guessing the newer series has a different format so can’t comment on that. I’m sure they must have dropped the parts with that magnetic board and the celebrity driving a car a long time ago as that was the worst part of all.
            Sums it up well
            sigpic

Comment

Working...
            X