Rubber Petrol Hoses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nick Mexi-cos View Post
    Very good point gaz everyone needs to check there pipes as a matter of urgency ,we fired the fuel pump on the xe mk1 cortina and that's got braided hose all the way through , hose burst in got to say more than 5 places very lucky indeed , glad you got lucky with your fella
    Been reading this thread with some concern,
    I bought what I thought was suitable.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sytec-Fuel...item3f0bd9d325.

All we can do is keep checking regularly?

Comment

am going to replace the rubber hose on mine from the pump to the carb,would like to replace the plastic line from the tank to pump but cant find any plastic pipe, any one know of a good source

Comment

pm Stage1 on here

Trevor does the plastic pipe with the end on for the tank as well, he has them on ebay if you want to see a pic, the RS1600 one is larger bore if you think you may go twin carbs at a later date
        Cheers Glyn

Comment

On my cortina ive Run copper pipe front to rear and only used small sections of fuel hose to try and elimanate as much rubber pipe as possible
          sigpic

Comment

I've done the same on my cars Nick but it's supposed to eat copper and brass too.

This is sh!t, I can't believe they think that stuff that corrodes alloys and will no doubt cause numerous fires and possibly deaths is a good idea.

Bloody greens, save the planet, global warming, climate change, it's all bollox and yes, I truly believe that, imo it's just an easy way to tax the masses with no chance of any comeback.

Comment

I've just started stocking fuel pipe that is 100% ok with methanol, ethenol and butanol. Not cheap but I'm fitting it on my cars.

One other problem will be the flexible filler hose on the tank of Mk1 & Mk2s, so watch your tank wells and if you smell fuel, it could be that it's fallen to bits!

Comment

If there Any keen Bikers out there ive been told there eating the insides or motorbike tanks now too , coming back from ride outs and finding ya balls all covered in fuel OUCH just hope ya mrs dont smoke after she's givin you He~~ cough cough
                sigpic

Comment

My R5 Gordini has had 2x petrol tanks eaten on the trot . The new fuel strips the linings off and blocks up the carb . Just bought an alloy fuel tank for it and now i find out it eats alloy as well !!!!!! WTF
                  sigpic 2.1 ATMO YB POWER .
                  Tick tock goes the clock and the clock don't lie .
                  12.4sec to 109mph With NO turbo , NO gay trailer , NO slicks , NO gas , NO race fuel and NO bits missing . Beat that !!!!

Comment

I belive new car tanks have a liner fitted to them to stop them rotting.

Comment

This sounds bad new this was going to happen reading the reports, will renew mine ASAP
                      sigpic

Comment

Back last year i was driving my mk1 cortina round town when the engine cut out, when i opened the bonnet i found the fuel line had come off & fuel had splashed around,the brass inlet tube had dropped out of the top of the carb casting with rubber fuel line still attached luckily it didnt go up in flames, those brass inlet pipes are pressed tight into the carb casting, reading this thread i'm now starting to wonder if this new fuel has caused it?? I've never had anything like it happen before.

Comment

Originally posted by TugsW View Post
                          The new fuel I think your on about gaz is the 5% Ethanol blend been used for a while now.
                          Maybe what we are now seeing is the rubber used in older cars reaching the critical point.

The blend of ethanol is going up to 10% I in the next few years, then carbs and ally bits will start to corrode due to ethanol likes to turn Ally into some salts (I forget what ones).
                          The fuel at the pumps in the UK should be E10 by now. It is part of a European directive.

Originally posted by Smudger View Post
                          I've done the same on my cars Nick but it's supposed to eat copper and brass too.

This is sh!t, I can't believe they think that stuff that corrodes alloys and will no doubt cause numerous fires and possibly deaths is a good idea.

Bloody greens, save the planet, global warming, climate change, it's all bollox and yes, I truly believe that, imo it's just an easy way to tax the masses with no chance of any comeback.
                          Not quite son, I'm afraid it's blame ze Germans time
                          It was pressure put on Angela Merkel by companies like Daimler, BMW and Porsche to improve the eco balance of their "gas guzzlers" with 3-4 litre engines, i.e. the COČ absorbed by the plants is supposed to counteract the COČ produced when the fuel is burnt.

The effect has been that grain prices have exploded and the gains are in actual fact minimal. By the way, in the states they have been using E10 for a while now.

Comment

The braided fuel pipe under my Starlet let go a few months back & dumped fuel all over the driveway(wrecked a patch of tarmac).

I replaced the main length under the car with copper & replaced the tank & engine ends with new rubber stuff.

I asked the question on a couple of forums as to which spec of rubber pipe is resistant to modern fuel, but got no conclusive answers.

Also, hard pipe made with copper/nickel mix is more resistant to fuel than 100% copper...apparently
                            sigpic

Comment

Forgot to add, the braided rubber hose which let go under my car was only 2 years old & had done about 800 miles!!
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by rwdrs View Post
                                The fuel at the pumps in the UK should be E10 by now. It is part of a European directive.

Not quite son, I'm afraid it's blame ze Germans time
                                It was pressure put on Angela Merkel by companies like Daimler, BMW and Porsche to improve the eco balance of their "gas guzzlers" with 3-4 litre engines, i.e. the COČ absorbed by the plants is supposed to counteract the COČ produced when the fuel is burnt.

The effect has been that grain prices have exploded and the gains are in actual fact minimal. By the way, in the states they have been using E10 for a while now.
                                Sorry mate i deliver the stuff and its still E5, and the stuff has made the exhaust gasses so much more dirty than before.

Comment

Working...
                                X