No announcement yet.

What was the very FIRST RALLY YOU CAN REMEMBER WATCHING

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My mate at school said there was a major rally - the Gulf London International - starting at one of the Heathrow hotels and we'd better cycle down and have a look. In Cranford we came across a blue VW1600TL with a Swedish flag on the front wing and two guys puzzling over a map. We showed them the way to the start and carried on, commenting between us that they must be rubbish if they couldn't even find the start and what the hell sort of name was that -really strange one that had sounded something like Bjorn Waldegaard...

We got there and my life changed. I knew I had to do some International rallies some day.

Comment

Originally posted by wozzy View Post
      must have been 84 then,
      Did you wave to "PHF" ? (It's out tonight with 167awo on the Telford Novice Rally!)

Comment

first one...

RAC...Sutton Park....1972.

Russ.
        [/quote]

Comment

first rally

Could easy have been the 50s Keith as my grandfather had a butchers shop in Skipton from about 1950.I remember them coming in from Gargrave and down the High Street,turning left into the Town Hall car park.AND it was definatly NUB. Anthony Fall used to work at Appleyards in BRADFORD as a car salesman,and lived within a mile of where I am writing this ,near to the famous Harry Ramsdens,and Tong Park Automotive at the bottom of Hollins Hill,Nr Baildon ,
          Another RAC later in the 70s,I can still remember seeing Harry Kallstrom coming down Dalby forrest towards the pub at the bottom in a red Lancia Fulvia HF with all four discs glowing red in the night.

Comment

Rac

Keith I am sure the 1980 RAC also started in Bath and over night at Bowness on Windermere as we were servicing for Terry Kaby that year .I am sure that was the same year that Ronnie Beecroft won his class in the Hillman Avenger of Skip Browns as he was taking the pi** out of me at the hotel overlooking Lake Windermere as we had been all round Scotland with very little sleep and i was creme crackered

Comment

Sutton Park 1981 RAC
              sigpic

Comment

Slaters of Abergele Rally, circa 1969. Stage rally: RAC 1973 or 1974 during early hours of the morning at Clocaenog Forrest.

Comment

canny remember the year but it was group B and the RAC at ingleston near edingburgh bloody freezing but will never forget the sound of them and the flames from the exhausts at nite

Comment

The Raylor Rally in N Yorks in the late 1970's and the Crystal Stages when it did all the local Airfields and Olivers Mount.Followed the 1981 (I think) RAC when Toivinen won it in the Sunbeam ,followed the full Rally from Yorkshire to Kielder down to wales in a RS1600 and the starter packed up on the first day so we had to push start it every time we stopped,slept in the car ,Contour Buckets are the worst seats ever to kip in LOL
                    sigpic

Comment

That would be the Granite City rally in 1994. (My dad is not into sport so never got to go when i was a kid !!).
                      It was supposed to be nice weather and it turned out to be thick snow and caught everyone off gaurd including the spectators who only had summer jackets !!!!.
                      Was absolutely freezing but enjoyed every moment
                      Marshalled on a few since then.

I remember my first ones on tv too, that was in the mid 80`s when the bbc used to do the late night repoerts of the rac. I remember seeing the 6r4`s etc etc. , was presented by an old top gear presenter but can`t remember his name. william ?
                      sigpic

Comment

Probably a stage on the Ulster rally. Don't quite know what rally it was or what year.
                        Just remember going with my dad to Boyd's quarry in mallusk and watching these mad men snake about the rocks. The noise echoing off the rock faces was awesome, you were so close you were getting covered in dirt when they went past and the smell of petrol and oil hung in my lungs for days. Loved it.
                        We're not Brazil, we're Northern Ireland

Comment

RAC in the early 70's when it went through Lowther Park forest on Cold Fell near Egremont! I think it was the last time it ever went there! Been to several others usually on Whinlatter, again another location that isn't used nowadays.

Comment

Rac

Thanks for the photo Martin 85 RAC when Henri rolled the Lancia Delta,and went on to win the rally.A little story here.I was walking into one of the North Yorkshire stages on the 86 RAC ,I heard the Delta coming ,but was unsure weather it was Markku or Henri.I waved and as we got up to the holding point before the stage start,Henri was in the queue.I was going to walk past and let him get his brain into gear for the stage as I had had chats with him 2 or 3 times on that rally.Just as I was walking up the left hand side of the car Henri opened the drivers door to block my path.HE said Ba**y,you were not going to speak to me.( I explained ,that I was going to let him concentrate before the stage)You are my freind never walk past me without speaking to me again.
                            Skids it was 1980 when Henri won the RAC in the Talbot Sunbeam,the youngest driver EVER to win a world championship rally,which stood for 28 years untill last year when Jarri Matti Latvala took that title

Comment

Rac

Sorry 85 Rac when I was walking into the stage.Unfortunatly as we all know Henri never did the 86 RAC,due to the tragic accident in Corsica

Comment

I Missed out on the start of the 1979 Rally of Great Britain out side the Grosvenor hotel in Chester as my dad knows FA about cars and we only live 3 mile way in Saltney...
                                But I think it was 1984 ish when they had a over night stop in chester and a gang of us from school and watch them coming in, at the northgate arena.
                                Hey the good old days....

Comment

Working...
                                X