The end of the trackday tyre

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The end of the trackday tyre

The end is nigh for trackday tyres . From 2012 they are being axed due to their poor wet/damp weather performance and other issues . R888's are the worst in the wet and cold weather so they should ban those shite things now !!!!!!
    sigpic 2.1 ATMO YB POWER .
    Tick tock goes the clock and the clock don't lie .
    12.4sec to 109mph With NO turbo , NO gay trailer , NO slicks , NO gas , NO race fuel and NO bits missing . Beat that !!!!

Not good news !

Where did you hear that ?
    cheeRS

DAVE

Comment

They are looking into banning ROAD legal track tyres, you will still be able to use them on the track but not on the public highway

my_car_in_the_vBGarage

Comment

They're BANNING the manufactor of all street legal dry weather trackday type tyres as they're dangerous in the wet/damp on the public highway . All street legal tryes from 2012 MUST pass strict new guidlines in all weather conditions or else they can't be made road legal .
        12.4sec to 109mph With NO turbo , NO gay trailer , NO slicks , NO gas , NO race fuel and NO bits missing . Beat that !!!!

Comment

Originally posted by RS2000CUSTOM View Post
          Not good news !

Where did you hear that ?
          it's on page 20 in the latest "EVO" mag .

Comment

Originally posted by mk1gaz View Post
            They're BANNING the manufactor of all street legal dry weather trackday type tyres as they're dangerous in the wet/damp on the public highway . All street legal tryes from 2012 MUST pass strict new guidlines in all weather conditions or else they can't be made road legal .
            blimey the black beauty is fitted with 888's.......... better get it finished before the tyres are illegal

cheeRS
            sigpic

Comment

lol , you've got a few years yet mate plus they wear out in 500 miles !!!!

Comment

R888's are the worst in the wet and cold weather so they should ban those shite things now !!!!!!
                hmmm, strange then that I drove round the outside of shed loads of people in the cold and rain at Croft a few weeks back with 888's - this is me chasing my mate Ste in his 4x4 on new road tyres in the wet

Andy

If it doesn't break it's not modified enough
                www.clevelandrsoc.co.uk

Comment

R888's are the worst in the wet and cold weather so they should ban those shite things now !!!!!!
                  hmmm, strange then that I drove round the outside of shed loads of people in the cold and rain at Croft a few weeks back with 888's - this is me chasing my mate Ste in his 4x4 on new road tyres in the wet. He couldn't get anywhere near the grip I had

Andy

www.clevelandrsoc.co.uk

Comment

lol , you've got a few years yet mate plus they wear out in 500 miles !!!!
                    will last me for years then

cheeRS
                    sigpic

Comment

Think mine have done about 350 miles so far so probably one more day in em
                      Andy

www.clevelandrsoc.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Northern Bloke View Post
                        hmmm, strange then that I drove round the outside of shed loads of people in the cold and rain at Croft a few weeks back with 888's
                        It's standing water R888's can't handle or wet emergency stops . You need a greater stopping distance over normal road tyres and hitting standing water at speed will cause the car too get airborne and aquaplane . Sub-zero temperatures also cause R888's rubber tread too come off . Moral of the story is they are shite , lol !!!!!!!

Comment

Yeah I read that article as well but apparently cars produced before 1980 are going to get an exemtion from the regulations how far that will go I dont know big discussion on Pistonheads about this see link

Also it would seem the key driver behind this is fuel saving and noise of new tyres also relating to wet stopping distances it could prove beneficial in getting rid of some of the more questionable tyre makers who make claims they cant back up!! thus getting these manufacutrers to either buck up their game or get out.

See this link to the EU Parliament

The best explanation I can find on the web is this one from Continental Tyres which explains the impact quite well

Lord Lucan

Rather push a Ford than Drive a Vauxhall

RSOC Member: 25467

My Car in the V/garage

Comment

Make sure you wear out your R888's before winter !!!!!!

http://marktg.toyotires.com/file/TireStorage.pdf

Comment

Never had a problem with my R888's on my 500 even in winter great tyre tbh
                              Lord Lucan

Rather push a Ford than Drive a Vauxhall

RSOC Member: 25467

My Car in the V/garage

Comment

Working...
                              X