X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So there are 4750 people out there who´ve got a license where it says
    - 4b 20.03.2010 on the front
    - 4b=date of expiry on the back
    - they got a letter through the post saying they have to renew, and they don´t understand??

And they´re out there driving motor vehicles??

Comment

still a bloody con!! should be for free i say

i dont have to worry too much mind, i still have my boyish good looks my photo wouldnt look any different

Comment

explain this one then, i have just been and looked at mine and my missus licences

we both renewed ours last time we moved house (2002/3 ish ), however hers is due for replacement may 2009 and mine not till april 2013 how does that work??

Comment

were the previous licenses due to expire at different dates too though or difference in your ages?? i.e. 70th birthdays

Comment

Originally posted by kev14 View Post
            Just got the letter saying mine needs updated, £17.50 for changing a picture and it will no doubt be a fair bit dearer in another 10 years, and all multiplied by millions of drivers, surely its not another of our governments hidden taxes
            cheers Kev
            Change address and its free ( register at friends or relatives and then move back in a couple of months)
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by driverace View Post
              I have to have a medical now every year to keep my Class 1 licence(C+E),but this applies to all HGV drivers,who after the age of 50 to 65 have to have a medical every 5 years .Then from 65 every year.The other thing is I may need to have is a C1 catagery on my licence to drive larger than 3.5 tonne motorhome and tow a car so need a C1 +E to drive this combination.What is not commonly known either is that ANY driver who passed their driving test after 1st January 1996,can ONLY tow a small trailer up to 750kilos UNLESS they have passed a test and hold a B+E licence Although I have a Class 1 (C+E) my C1 +E restricts me to a trailer of less than 4.5 tonnes
              You must read the codes in sectoin 12 they are 107,101 and119,do be careful.If unsure ring them on 08702400009.
              Nearly spot on there, its 45 you have to have the first medical, every thing else is good info for those who didn't know

You get a letter from the DVLA when your medical is needed and this is around one - two months before the expire date.

As for paying for the photo to be renewed it said this at the time when they first came out so its not a hidden tax; its just most people forgot about it.

You must inform the DVLA of any changes and this includes moving abroad

my_car_in_the_vBGarage

Comment

Originally posted by hotrs2000 View Post
                You must inform the DVLA of any changes and this includes moving abroad
                DVLA say you have to inform them of any address change. They say clearly that, if you move abroad, you don´t need to inform them, but the driving license authority in the new country.

If you DO live abroad and your license needs to be changed for any reason (you married and changed the name or whatever) then you cannot apply for an updated GB Driving License.

Comment

Berlin local govt website says:

Inhaber von Fahrerlaubnissen aus EU- und EWR-Staaten dürfen auch dann Kraftfahrzeuge im Inland führen, wenn seit der Begründung des ständigen Aufenthalts mehr als 6 Monate überschritten sind. Es bleibt diesen Fahrerlaubnisinhabern freigestellt, die ausländische Fahrerlaubnis in eine deutsche umschreiben zu lassen.
                  Die deutschen Vorschriften der Fahrerlaubnis-Verordnung über die Geltungsdauer von Fahrerlaubnissen der Klassen C, C1, C1E, CE, D, D1, DE oder D1E sind jedoch zu beachten.
                  Gegebenenfalls ist eine Verlängerung der Geltungsdauer zu beantragen.

or in other words, you can if you want.

Comment

On a similar topic;

Has anyone bought a car and had the V5 sent to a different address to the licence holders' named address?

Comment

Still have my pink paper one from 1985 with my parents address on. Should I change it??
                      Autumn Has Arrived by Kevin Frost, on Flickr

CHES'S UNDERSTUDY...........

Comment

better check mine
                        Ex-Chairman of 'The Clique'

Comment

Originally posted by lee bishop View Post
                          explain this one then, i have just been and looked at mine and my missus licences

we both renewed ours last time we moved house (2002/3 ish ), however hers is due for replacement may 2009 and mine not till april 2013 how does that work??

most likely 10 years on the original application with the photo

Comment

licences

I have 4 licences.My old red small book that they used to stick pages in .An oblong green licence that folded into 4 oblongs ,then another pink and green that folds up nearly square, and then a photocard one.Each time I have had to renew my HGV licence they ask you to send your old licence back in BUT as I have always been going on holiday and neaded my licence to hire a car in another country,the person that I have spoken to at Swansea said to me,that I should tell them my current licence had been misplaced so that I could go on holiday ,get an hire car and have a new licence on my doorstep when I returned from holiday Bingo!

Comment

Working...
                            X