Motorists being hit again!!!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motorists being hit again!!!!!!!!

Thousands of motorists are at risk of being fined up to £1,000 because they are unwittingly driving without a valid licence.

They risk prosecution after failing to spot the extremely small print on their photocard licence which says it automatically expires after 10 years and has to be renewed - even though drivers are licensed to drive until the age of 70. The fiasco has come to light a decade after the first batch of photo licences was issued in July 1998, just as they start to expire.

Motoring organisations blamed the Government for the fiasco and said 'most' drivers believed their licences were for life.
    A mock-up driving licence from 1998 when the photocards were launched shows the imminent expiry date as item '4b' They said officials had failed to publicise sufficiently the fact that new-style licences - unlike the old paper ones - expire after a set period and have to be renewed.

To rub salt into wounds, drivers will have to pay £17.50 to renew their card - a charge which critics have condemned as a 'stealth tax' and which will earn the Treasury an estimated £437million over 25 years. Official DVLA figures reveal that while 16,136 expired this summer, so far only 11,566 drivers have renewed, leaving 4,570 outstanding. With another 300,000 photocard licences due to expire over the coming year, experts fear the number of invalid licences will soar, putting thousands more drivers in breach of the law and at risk of a fine.

At the heart of the confusion is the small print on the tiny credit-card-size photo licence, which is used in conjunction with the paper version.

4b: The small print on the back of the driving licence is easy to miss
    Just below the driver name on the front of the photocard licence is a series of dates and details - each one numbered.
    Number 4b features a date in tiny writing, but no explicit explanation as to what it means.
    The date's significance is only explained if the driver turns over the card and reads the key on the back which states that '4b' means 'licence valid to'.

Even more confusingly, an adjacent table on the rear of the card sets out how long the driver is registered to hold a licence - that is until his or her 70th birthday. A total of 25million new-style licences have been issued but - motoring experts say - drivers were never sufficiently warned they would expire after 10 years.

The DVLA said failure to update the photocard after 10 years fell into the same category as failing to inform them of a change of address.

CHECK YOUR LICENCE EXPIRY DATE!!!

I'd rather push a Ford than drive a V**X***L

well i didnt know that better check me dates
    Difficult roads often lead to beautiful places

Comment

I've still got my paper license, but as I'm not living in the UK and have notified them about my move abroad I wonder if I could be done for driving in the UK.

Are paper ones still valid?

Comment

oops
        AKA The Dipstick

Comment

I say bring in ID cards, if you don't get them renewed after ten years, I hear the Americans have a "holding centre" where people can be sent until their indentity is cleared up

Comment

Originally posted by rwdrs View Post
            I've still got my paper license, but as I'm not living in the UK and have notified them about my move abroad I wonder if I could be done for driving in the UK.

Are paper ones still valid?
            Thought the UK license automatically expires once you no longer llive in the UK?

Comment

That would be the equivalent of revoking the license, for what reason. That would mean that any other "official" documentation would also become invaild i.e. passports, N.I. cards etc etc.

Comment

driving licences

I have to have a medical now every year to keep my Class 1 licence(C+E),but this applies to all HGV drivers,who after the age of 50 to 65 have to have a medical every 5 years .Then from 65 every year.The other thing is I may need to have is a C1 catagery on my licence to drive larger than 3.5 tonne motorhome and tow a car so need a C1 +E to drive this combination.What is not commonly known either is that ANY driver who passed their driving test after 1st January 1996,can ONLY tow a small trailer up to 750kilos UNLESS they have passed a test and hold a B+E licence Although I have a Class 1 (C+E) my C1 +E restricts me to a trailer of less than 4.5 tonnes
                You must read the codes in sectoin 12 they are 107,101 and119,do be careful.If unsure ring them on 08702400009.

Comment

Originally posted by rwdrs View Post
                  That would be the equivalent of revoking the license, for what reason. That would mean that any other "official" documentation would also become invaild i.e. passports, N.I. cards etc etc.
                  Don´t see what one has got to do with the other. When I didn´t have an address in UK anymore, I changed mine to a French Driving License after informing myself at the DVLC (DVLA).

Change the address on your full or provisional driving licence for free - do it online or by post

Comment

It also says on Berlin local government website that EU citizens do not need to exchange their licenses.

Comment

TBH, I don´t think DVLA care too much about what the Berlin websites say

It is correct that you are allowed to drive in Germany with a valid UK license. Bo one in Germany forces you to give up residence in another country. If you´ve got a valid UK license with your correct address then you´re ok.

So you´ve got a UK Driving License with a German address? Well done!

Comment

just as well I need to worry about driving in the UK then, as the Germans don't care what the DVLA has to say either

Comment

Just got the letter saying mine needs updated, £17.50 for changing a picture and it will no doubt be a fair bit dearer in another 10 years, and all multiplied by millions of drivers, surely its not another of our governments hidden taxes
                          cheers Kev

Comment

you will get a letter so its not like the basturds don't tell you, if you look at the front of your licence card and go down to serial 4b that tells you when your licence expires, then its cheque books out AGAIN!!!

here is nellys card, pmsl

Comment

im okay ,i have never had a license

Comment

Working...
                              X