any professional window fitters here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Andyc View Post
    when we fit windows we measure before so that if they come back wrong then we are to blame
    so, was the cell door wrongly measured then

cheeRS
    sigpic

Comment

Aaron have a look at this site

Will give you a bit more info

Windows/Double glazing in the south must be Document L compliant
      Basically thermally efficient windows/DG units with K-Glass possibly argon filled.
      Did the frames and the units come from Poland.
      Did you notice a label on the glass saying K-Glass fit this sicker to inside of room or something similar??
      What the fitter is saying about the sizes difference inside and out is common so he should have measured both the inner and outer sizes the he could have got the windows made with a longer leg on the outside or rebated the frame on the inside
      If they had have been pvc windows a simple single leg frame extension would have sorted it.
      From looking at the pics with a bit of time spent they could be easily sorted
      Hope he used expanding foam when fitting them and they should be silicone sealed outside
      If you need any more info pm me and i will send you my number

Cheers Sean.........

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron P. View Post
        ok lads first off all thanks for the comments.....

he said to me that the granite head is higher than the concrete lintol inside by around 20-30mm...this to me sounds like he just wants to pass off the job & say not my problem

If this is the case then he may have a point. It still wouldn't excuse him not finishing the job to make it look good.
        If you poke in with a screw driver, or even have a good look you could find out if this is the case.
        If the windows are fitted to an accepted clearance to the lintel then its just a matter of getting it nicely boxed?
        We're not Brazil, we're Northern Ireland

Comment

right guys just a quick update on the situation....

i sent a letter the other day to the guy, he recieved it & he rang me. He showed up yesterday morning with another guy. The other guy was a client of my office and this is how i got the window fitter. anyway after some chit chat etc and what i think was moral support or someone to lighten me or change my mind on what i said in the letter i still feel no better off ( i mean the client was there for that and there to change my mind)...during this time my dad & uncle were on the scene and they were not impressed at all with what the window fitter had told me to do. He was still insisting that the granite heads were to high compared to the concrete heads inside....my d & u came over & began quizing the wf....then the cleint pulled me aside & toldme to intervene as the wf didnt deserve this shit...i just let the quizing go on for a while longer then siad stop & pulled the wf to one side...i told him i got 2 opions on the fitting 1: from another wf that had sid did stevie wonder fit them to which he wasnt to happy & 2 : from my boss who is an architect an he had said that windows are measrued to small and dont fit the opes & should be removed with immediate effect...the wf just stud there shocked...anway i agreed to let him sort out the windows by using dry mortar above the windows...he did one as the picture shows and left...now after looking at it its still looks wrong as this is the smallest gap & i would let it go if the windows were all the same as in 12- 15mm, but the rest of the windows have 25-36mm gap..thus rendering the granite heads useless as the windows dont meet the granite heads... i still feel the windows should be taken out & replaced....whats your thoughts on it
          Attached Files

Comment

Aaron,
            those pics, are they from the inside of the building, or the outside ?

cheeRS
            sigpic

Comment

all from outside...i can take some from the inside 2moro nite

Comment

hi this completely wrong if you have not paid ,get them removed and done again . The windows are measure inside and out, but they are wood finish they would be 15mm bigger to go behind the render,so if lintol is lower you can take a check out of the window.plastic you get make ups,so trade and standards will sort this out if you have not paid. which you are ok you have the money still. cheers jas

Comment

unfortunately i paid up front as the guy had to order them and install them...i have however not paid for fitting which is not very much but it would bring the total cost of 7 windows, 1 pair of french doors & 1 pair of front doors to over €10300...the windows are tilt & turn style

Comment

shit thats dear we did a full house 12 windows 2 doors for £2800 (pvc though)
                    Difficult roads often lead to beautiful places

Comment

Working...
                    X