any professional window fitters here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• any professional window fitters here

can someone shed their opinion on these pics for me please....

I got a guy to fit windows for me on my house. the problem is that he has left a gap of around 1" or more on some of the windows below the granite heads. all blockwork was done befrore he arrived on site. he measured the opes, was paid in full before the windows were fitted. he fitted the windows but left a gap as i said. he wants to pass the blame or take no blame for his mistake.....were do i stand do you think legally? should i get a full refund and should he take the winodws out & replace them with ones that fit?

Im at the opinion that they should be removed and replaced or full money back
    Attached Files

are they PVC or wood ?

cheeRS
    sigpic

Comment

sorry they are wood and imported from poland

Comment

did stevie wonder measure them? has to be the fault of whoever measured them,but as he's been paid you will find it hard to get the £/E back.i had to go and finish off a mates house for his mum,she sadly paid in full too as 'anglian' shit windows only finished off what the customer could see and left most of the rest without any sealant !!
        what i need is a high horse like the others have !

Comment

builders from hell springs to mind Aaron
          *Edited*

Comment

Hi Aaron,

Did he fit them from the inside? with stone reveals, they will be uneven, so the inner leaf should be slightly larger than the outer so as the window will be fitted from the inside and will sit against the stone. Thats what we do anyway.
            I'm always careful with window suppliers, a lot of them make good windows but use fitters who havn't a clue. Did they not even make good with mastic? all I see is foam and DPC.

get the gangster back and remove them.

Robert
            sigpic

Comment

not a problem to resolve if upvc windows (foam and trim!) but in your case id try to get your money back at least, as any good fitter on here will tell you its the surveying that makes the job, should be 5mm all round for a neat gun line, not 30-40mm, shame you didnt ask for prices and advise on here to start with dude.
              all the best with it mate, if you require any further questions asked pm me!
              Edd.
              sigpic

Comment

theres a few window lickers on here!!!!
                sigpic

Comment

i own a window company and i am very sorry to tell you that you do not have a leg to stand on.
                  i know many people who have had thier windows done by the poles,
                  dont take this personally but,
                  the poles are fitting cheap crap and are not FENSA registered, this is the governing body of the window industry in the UK.
                  i am also pretty sure that the windows will not conform to the current regulations that came into effect on the 1-04-2002.
                  all windows fitted after this date have to have documentation supplied to the customer so if you sell your property you can prove that the windows conform to all regs.
                  if i was to fit these import windows i would be shut down as the governing body,FENSA, would make me take them out and replace them at my own expense.
                  you should never pay anyone for any work until it has been done to your satisfaction, i dont take payment until the job is done to the customers satisfaction,
                  like i said above i am very sorry but you have been stitched up mate

Comment

window fitting

unfortunately for you unless he agrees to come back and rectify the problem you are at a very sticky situation.
                    a couple of questions.
                    his he a registered company.
                    did you get a full receipt for the work done.
                    if so you can ring trading standards.
                    hope you get sorted.

Comment

ok lads first off all thanks for the comments.....

the guy is irish and is registered for being in the buiding trade....he is a stone mason by trade so i think he should have known about the opes and be a better judge of it all...
                      he said to me that the granite head is higher than the concrete lintol inside by around 20-30mm...this to me sounds like he just wants to pass off the job & say not my problem
                      i was sent 2 different fitting bills and was given a verbal bill also for fitting which i have not paid and will not pay
                      i never got a cert in relation to the windows as that policy doesnt exist here in ireland as of yet
                      not sure how they were fitted as i wasnt at home when they were being done
                      no mastic used at all, just all expanding foam

i work in an architectural practice and my bosses have told me that he would be at fault as he measured the opes....the guy even told me that if i was to measure the opes it would be my fault if the windows didnt fit but if he measured them & made a mistake its his fault...pity i dont have that on record just verbil...my bosses also said if the problem is not sorted i should just sue him....so I think maybe my only option if the problem is not sorted....

i rang him around 2 weeks ago to ask him to come out to the house, he said he would contact me & be out to have a look...i said fine & havent heard from him since...im not chasing him as im fed up with the bullshit of it all.....

am i making any sense to people????

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron P. View Post
                        ...im not chasing him as im fed up with the bullshit of it all.....

am i making any sense to people????
                        Sounds like you are giving up

Phone him, pester him, make as much noise as you can until it is sorted

My cars in the VbGarage

Comment

Originally posted by peanut View Post
                          i own a window company and i am very sorry to tell you that you do not have a leg to stand on.
                          i know many people who have had thier windows done by the poles,
                          dont take this personally but,
                          the poles are fitting cheap crap and are not FENSA registered, this is the governing body of the window industry in the UK.
                          i am also pretty sure that the windows will not conform to the current regulations that came into effect on the 1-04-2002.
                          all windows fitted after this date have to have documentation supplied to the customer so if you sell your property you can prove that the windows conform to all regs.
                          if i was to fit these import windows i would be shut down as the governing body,FENSA, would make me take them out and replace them at my own expense.
                          you should never pay anyone for any work until it has been done to your satisfaction, i dont take payment until the job is done to the customers satisfaction,
                          like i said above i am very sorry but you have been stitched up mate
                          when we fit windows we measure before so that if they come back wrong then we are to blame we also meaure the new ones before we ripp the old ones out as people make mistakes they can only be fensa reg if they are k glass and double glazed as for import it shouldnt make any differance dont pay for them til hes put them right report the bloke to the standards and tell him that you are doing so
                          Difficult roads often lead to beautiful places

Comment

Originally posted by alminera View Post
                            Sounds like you are giving up

Phone him, pester him, make as much noise as you can until it is sorted
                            Agree with Aled, and if that doesn't work get Trading Standards in then sue him
                            Cheers

Comment

Builders from Hell.

Hello Aaron, Sorry for your troubles. Give me a call after 17.30 hrs and I can give you some advice on your options. Take care Paul.

Comment

Working...
                              X