RS on the rollers today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RS on the rollers today

Well I took the RS to Torque of the Devil in Uxbridge (West London) today to have it checked over and set up.
    1st run before any work and was putting out 134 at the flywheel, not at all happy as its a Vulcan 160 spec engine.
    Bike carbs running very lean as well, bit of fiddling with the carbs and timing and managed to get it up to 145 at the flywheel still 15 down on what it should have.
    Steve the owner of Vulcan popped in and happed with things but couldn't get anymore than 145bhp.

Basicaly the bike carbs are running lean, not to lean as to cause engine problems but just enough to not get the extra bhp.

So on my shopping list for the year is a set of 45's and a 2 1/4 ex manifold as they said the 2" one is not helping things as well.

Drive home was bad as now the car has nothing below 2000rpm and coughs n splutters but hit 2000-2500 and is a dream to drive.

Should of sayed in bed me thinks today

my_car_in_the_vBGarage

it's not all bad m8....you get to get some new carbs
    sigpiccheeRS paul

Comment

Originally posted by hotrs2000 View Post
      Well I took the RS to Torque of the Devil in Uxbridge (West London) today to have it checked over and set up.
      1st run before any work and was putting out 134 at the flywheel, not at all happy as its a Vulcan 160 spec engine.
      Bike carbs running very lean as well, bit of fiddling with the carbs and timing and managed to get it up to 145 at the flywheel still 15 down on what it should have.
      Steve the owner of Vulcan popped in and happed with things but couldn't get anymore than 145bhp.

Basicaly the bike carbs are running lean, not to lean as to cause engine problems but just enough to not get the extra bhp.

So on my shopping list for the year is a set of 45's and a 2 1/4 ex manifold as they said the 2" one is not helping things as well.

Drive home was bad as now the car has nothing below 2000rpm and coughs n splutters but hit 2000-2500 and is a dream to drive.

Should of sayed in bed me thinks today
      I would stick with the Bike Carbs ,Dave Bogg swears by them ,if they are set up right and on the correct manifold you never have to touch them again,I have 45's on mine and it cost me £80 in service parts alone to have them refurbed and a mate did them for nothing,even considered selling them and putting Bike Carbs on but I might want to do an Historic class one day so will keep em .
      sigpic

Comment

A vulcan head ,should give you more depending on your cam, my mate has one, goes very well on twins he has 140bhp@ the wheels.
        I had a full race Dave Brooks motor that was knocking out 150bhp @ the wheels.

What spec is the rest of the motor? what cam is it?

I have had two pintos supposidly chucking out the same bhp and they were chalk and cheese.

There is a new generation of 2.0 pintos out there now built by Dave Brooks and Jondel, they are both over 200bhp but you will need a very very big wallet.
        Last edited by Scandinavian Flick; 21-04-2008, 13:43. Reason: !
        sigpic

Comment

A standard pinto on dave brooks splits and rl31 cam would give you that much,how is your dizzy?
          sigpic

Comment

vulcan stage2 head with a FR33 cam, 2.1 L&B bottom end.
            I'm running a lucas rally pack which seems fine.
            Just spoke with Bogg Brothers who said just drill out the main jets, as these are the same type as 38dgas jets so I might buy some spares.
            What size should I try, 1.75 or 1.85 as I have no idea what size are in there at the moment as Bogg brothers did drill them out for me two years ago.

my_car_in_the_vBGarage

Comment

If the car is crap under 2 you have other issues besides your main jet but try the smallest first.

I always use Mosleys down here in west wales,he has never let a car of mine beat him, have a word with him, he is a real nice guy,if you do ring him tell him Roger Hicks put you in touch and ask him how he still stands with legs that are so old.
              www.mosleysgarage.co.uk
              sigpic

Comment

Cheers for your help mate

my_car_in_the_vBGarage

Comment

Originally posted by Scandinavian Flick View Post
                  I always use Mosleys down here in west wales,he has never let a car of mine beat him, have a word with him, he is a real nice guy,if you do ring him tell him Roger Hicks put you in touch and ask him how he still stands with legs that are so old.
                  www.mosleysgarage.co.uk
                  i'm from swansea Keiran and mosleys has a very good reputation for rolling road tunning, what he does not know is not worth knowing

Comment

Or ask Steve at Vulcan about the two Steves at Track'n'Road , as i'm guessing Rainham is closer than Wales. And once you find a set of rollers and operators that you like you should stick with them.. any tuning must be done at the same rollers for repeatability ..
                    You can go to 10 rollers and get 10 different readings ..
                    Also are you driving it on the road with the odd blast around a track ???
                    If 90% of your driving is on the road tell the operators this, if they are good they wont waste your money getting "pub talk" figures at 8000rpm but will aim to give you a huge area under the graph, you may 'lose' a few bhp, but you'll gain everywhere else and be quicker on the road than a nothing till 5000 rpm bigger bhp engine of the same spec.
                    sigpic
                    www.retromotorsport.co.uk

Comment

I would'nt worry too much about the figures mate, providing your happy with the way it drives.
                      When Ive taken mine in the past to a RR they usually set the car up and then let me take it for a spin to make sure I'm happy with it before I pay the bill.
                      I'd personally take it back and explain that your not happy with it the way it is.

Ive heard that that particular RR although new is very "tight" with the bhp figures.
                      sigpic

Comment

Am i missing somert here....

You took it to a tuners to get it setup and it comes away with badly setup carbs....

Why didn't the tuner fix the problems as part of the setup ?

Comment

Originally posted by dingy View Post
                          Am i missing somert here....

You took it to a tuners to get it setup and it comes away with badly setup carbs....

Why didn't the tuner fix the problems as part of the setup ?
                          They set it up as per the engine builders spec with the timing for max bhp, my cam power range (Kent FR33) is 3000- 7500rpm and now the engine picks up at 2500rpm below that it seems flat.
                          After speaking with Bogg Brothers I need to get larger main jets, as its mainly used on the road I'm going back to the tuners to have it set for road use with good all round performance and not set for max bhp.

my_car_in_the_vBGarage

Comment

kieron, i too was dissapointed with my RR results last week, i have a JEMS head, hoofing great ports/valves with a newman phase 3 cam and 45's and mine only made 140bhp ( previously 160 on a pair of knackered old oil drums ) on sussex performance centres rollers, but on the way home the thing seemed so much nicer to drive. my first thought was right rebuild time, but for the extra hassle and expense i'm gonna leave it be for now. the important thing is its a nice driving road car

Comment

forget max bhp keiran needs to be set up for drivabilty and have a good torque curve

Comment

Working...
                              X