X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outdoor car covers

Which is the best one to get????

Tuned by Lorven Performance Services 01473 610102 www.lpsauto.com

I also need one for mine - got a halfords one before andit was useless. Wasn't waterproof in the slightest and just stuck to the car when the water got between the cover and car. Then it started to split and tear all over the place - basically I wouldn't recommend them.

Went and had a look at their newer and more expensive ones today after work, and they are still not water proof - just 'water resistant', and they just look awful.

I need one that is fully waterproof and is soft on the inside so as not to damage my nice new paint work. I've emailed a guy today who deals with car covers to see if I can get such an item - when he replies i'll let you know what he says...

Let me know if you find a decent one in the meantime though...

Cheers

Phil

Comment

The only ones I ve really looked at so far are in Demon Tweeks and are called Moltex.
      They re supposedly totally water resistant and are fleece lined, oh and are about 70 quid.

Thanks for replying and hope to hear if you get one soon

Tuned by Lorven Performance Services 01473 610102 www.lpsauto.com

Comment

Try Classic Additions, Paul (my brother) keeps his concours S2 under one ousdide and it is excellent (the cover I mean)

Much better than the old halfords one that was rubbish.

Alan

www.rscarshows.co.uk
        2006 AUTO GLYM Grand Final, class F (1991-2004) Winner,
        2006 FORD FAIR STANDARD CAR OF THE SHOW
        2006 & 07 & 08 RSOC National Day Standard RS Fiesta Winner,
        2006, 07 & 08 RSOC Expert post class Gold cup winner,
        2007 & 08 OVERALL GOLD CUP WINNER

Mk2 Custom - 2l Pinto, flat front, 5 speed MT75 box, - NOW SOLD

Comment

Alan - can you find out which type he has - i.e fully waterproof, lightweight etc. How much was it?

I've just spoken to Classic additions and the guy was very helpful. He said that becuase my car has been recently sprayed, a fully waterproof cover would not be a good idea as the fabric is not breathable and this can have really nasty adverse effects on the paint - blistering etc. He reckoned that cars need air for over a year to allow the paint to set in properly. And as the waterproof ones do not let the cover 'breathe' they are obviously no good for such a situation.

He recommended a lightweight version which is made of breathable material, and is water RESISTANT to about 90%. Some water will get through but not very much. They're semi tailored to the car also. He quoted me £100 for this inc vat and delivery next day - 10% if you're a member of RS owners club!

He also said that the inside is very soft on the paintwork and is guarenteed not to scratch or damage it. Made up of 3 layers or something.

Need to find out if paint really does need that long to 'set' properly, otherwise I may go for the fully waterproof version. Any painters on here that can confirm this??

Cheers

Phil

Comment

Richard who painted mine said the paint was fully hardened after a week

Comment

So are you saying that after a week, the paint would be as hard and set to the same extent as the old paint that was 25+ years old - to the same level almost?

So you could throw a cover over it and the paint wouldn't be affected?

Anyone else know whether this is true..?

Comment

yep

after a week it was getting to hard to flat back with sandpaper, I know i spent everyday doing the bloody thing LOL

of course it will probably get a bit harder, but not significantly so as you would notice

Brian

Comment

On the subject of paint and covers, one of the secrets is to rope down the cover securely over the entire car. Otherwise the wind will cause the cover to flap about and this will sure damage the paint finish.

As for the paints, a few days hardening is more than sufficient. In my business, they fly at twice the speed of sound after a couple of days with 2-pack paint!

Doesn't apply if you're using cellulose paint!

Comment

sorry to hijack but what part of aviation are u in das - i am a engine tester for pratt and whitney

Comment

Here is a pic of the cover,

(I've included some of the paving just to keep vinny happy - LOL )

Alan

www.rscarshows.co.uk

Comment

the paving is not as nice as Neils LOL

Comment

Thanks Alan

Does that cover let a lot of water through when its been raining?

Only it looks in the picture like the cover is stuck to the panels due to lots of water between the cover and the car..?

Thanks again mate - its very much appreciated

Regards

PHil

Comment

Nope, car is dry as a bone underneath it (the cover I mean, the underside of the car still gets wet and needs a good chamois off)

The reason it looks like that is cos it is straped down tightly.
                            One under the center of the car, one over the bonnet and 2 elastic straps (front and back) that hook onto the suspension.

The cover has a waterproof outside and a soft lining.

Alan

www.rscarshows.co.uk

Comment

nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnoooooooooooooooooooooo oo a picture of a vauxhall on the mk2 rs bb

Comment

Working...
                              X