X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well done.....a video would be nice

My cars in the VbGarage

Comment

• I'd asked a couple of mates to do a video, but they turned up late and I couldn't contain the urge any longer.

Have now just had a fright ....

Instruments aren't connected yet, so I was relying on the electric fan thermostat to tell me when operating temperature was reached. All of a sudden, the motor starts to really labour to keep going. All hell breaks loose, radiator cap pops and boiling water everywhere. Motor grinds to a halt and won't start again. Arrggghhh!!!!

Electric fan didn't come on because I hadn't connected the relay earth to chassis yet . So now faced with pistons having welded themselves to the bores, made a cuppa and reflected.....

Er, could it be that the two pints of fuel I'd put in only represented half a pint of usable fuel, and that had been used up now?

Topped up with more fuel, connected fan relay to earth. Starts and runs even sweeter than on the first go Panic over. Engine sounds seriously evil!
      Last edited by dasadrew; 04-04-2009, 17:31.

Comment

• Originally posted by dasadrew View Post
        I'd asked a couple of mates to do a video, but they turned up late and I couldn't contain the urge any longer.

Have now just had a fright ....

Instruments aren't connected yet, so I was relying on the electric fan thermostat to tell me when operating temperature was reached. All of a sudden, the motor starts to really labour to keep going. All hell breaks loose, radiator cap pops and boiling water everywhere. Motor grinds to a halt and won't start again. Arrggghhh!!!!

Electric fan didn't come on because I hadn't connected the relay earth to chassis yet . So now faced with pistons having welded themselves to the bores, made a cuppa and reflected.....

Er, could it be that the two pints of fuel I'd put in only represented half a pint of usable fuel, and that had been used up now?

Topped up with more fuel, connected fan relay to earth. Starts and runs even sweeter than on the first go Panic over. Engine sounds seriously evil!
        Andrew, I'm sure it would take far more than this to do any damage to your engine. I've done something like this in the past, usually by being distracted by something else and I have worried like hell, but the fact that you still had water in the engine helps a hell of a lot. The real problems can start if you run out of water!

Anyway great progress, well done!

Tim.

Comment

• Have never liked the idea of those plastic covers on the relay for hetaed rear window under the dash to be melting away as they do. Replaced mine with a modern type of relay with fuse

Be aware though ! The Ford relay pin pattern is not the standard as is used today and since 20 years. To make it work, you have to swap the pins 30 and 86 (red wire and black/red wire). You can unlatch the spade connectors in the terminal block and refit them swapped over. Then, any new relay should work. Must be the same for the headlight relay and electric fan relay, but haven't checked them yet.
          Last edited by dasadrew; 05-04-2009, 18:04.

Comment

• Nice one...
            Andy

Comment

• good idea!

Comment

• Praise be to the Lord! Jaffa can see again!

Just spent two hours trying to trace an earth/short circuit problem in the lighting looms. Found it at last - I DON'T BELIEVE IT! - it was a short within the H4 headlamp bulb itself. Both filaments worked, but had a short in them. Changed the bulb and everything is tickety boo.

So, just need to plumb in the instrument binnacle and then all the electrics can be signed off

Comment

• Coming along a treat Andrew ....light at the end of the tunnel now

My cars in the VbGarage

Comment

• looking real nice now, will you be bringing it over here to any shows at all, would be good to see it in the flesh.
                    Ex-Chairman of 'The Clique'

Comment

• Nose now going on. As it's been off the car for a few years and has taken on its own form, it will need a few days of persuasion to get it to fit into every corner without forcing it.

RH Headlight backplate needs dropping a few millimetres.

All headlights and blinkers are BNIB NOS Ford boxed originals.

At last it will stop the pesky neighbours asking if it's an Opel!

Comment

• thats looking great now mate

Comment

• she,s looking very cool Andrew. Loved your web page , especially the car humor

Comment

• looks great andrew, nice to put all the new bits on,
                            MK2 member 091, RSOC member 2675, RS18 No 001, HRE7724 /50

My Car in the VbGarage and in My Album

Comment

• looking lush Andrew
                              cheeRS
                              Ian
                              sigpic

"Live everyday as if it was your last, because one of these days, it will be."
                              Jeremy Schwartz.

"Better to burn out than fade away"

Comment

• Stunning Andrew
                                Autumn Has Arrived by Kevin Frost, on Flickr

CHES'S UNDERSTUDY...........

Comment

Working...
                                X