Jaffa's Return

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi Andrew,

I stripped my heater down about 15 years ago and replaced all the sponge, and according to your pictures it looks like you're putting a second hand motor in your heater casing! Only last week I stripped mine down again as an annoying squeak was coming from the motor at fast speed, and I was worried about the bearing wearing out. True enough the bearing was bone dry, so I put a spot of engine oil on it. The engine oil is a bit thick at the moment, but the squeak has surely gone. If only I had done this the first time around it would have saved me a lot of work, please don't forget yours.

I also noticed on mine that the slow speed resistor which is attached to a small board, is a bit rusty on the metal bits. So avoiding the resistor itself, I put a tiny bit of waxoyl on the rust to stop it getting any worse and failing,..............this might be something to look out for!

ps. Loved the good use of the dishwasher for cleaning it!

Keep up the great work,

Tim.

Comment

• Good call that! I had blasted out my motor with brake cleaner to get out all the gunge and was going to drop some oil into it. Your post has just reminded me that I forgot to do that!

In actual fact, I've just removed the heater again as I decided to put full soundproofing on the bulkhead. I'll be able to drop some oil in without disassembling the heater unit as I have a few syringes lying about for that sort of task.

Comment

• Well, due to a tip from Neil (191964) heater unit came out again and got a brand new motor fitted

All back in now and all cables, controls and ducts fitted.

Think I've stumbled on a clutch problem though . Just by chance noted that the clutch pedal was amazingly stiff. Applied a bit more pressure and the pedal bent !!!

Seems like the old release-bearing-collar-binding-on-the-gearbox-shaft problem. Everything was OK when I fitted the gearbox. I checked, as I know this problem by heart. Hope I can sort it by unhooking the cable and wiggling the clutch lever in the bellhousing back into place.

Don't know what could have caused it - maybe as it wasn't yet adjusted, but the car was transported up and down ramps etc., the bearing collar may have drifted to a point when it just got askew on the shaft? Any ideas?

All-in-all, the car is going together quite quickly now - should be startable at Easter

Comment

• Originally posted by dasadrew View Post
          Well, due to a tip from Neil (191964) heater unit came out again and got a brand new motor fitted

All back in now and all cables, controls and ducts fitted.

Think I've stumbled on a clutch problem though . Just by chance noted that the clutch pedal was amazingly stiff. Applied a bit more pressure and the pedal bent !!!

Seems like the old release-bearing-collar-binding-on-the-gearbox-shaft problem. Everything was OK when I fitted the gearbox. I checked, as I know this problem by heart. Hope I can sort it by unhooking the cable and wiggling the clutch lever in the bellhousing back into place.

Don't know what could have caused it - maybe as it wasn't yet adjusted, but the car was transported up and down ramps etc., the bearing collar may have drifted to a point when it just got askew on the shaft? Any ideas?

All-in-all, the car is going together quite quickly now - should be startable at Easter
          Wow, the pedal is quite strong Andrew, have you straightened it ok?

I don't know what's caused this, never had it happen before. Can you disconnect the cable and move the lever back and forth to see if it feels right?

Tim.

Comment

• Originally posted by RS2000EXPRESS View Post
            Wow, the pedal is quite strong Andrew...
            me too! In actual fact, I was depressing it whilst stood next to the car wiht the foot inside, so I was applying some side force too. The pedal just crumpled! Couldn't straighten it, but had a couple of spare pedal boxes, so robbed one.

Originally posted by RS2000EXPRESS View Post
            I don't know what's caused this, never had it happen before. Can you disconnect the cable and move the lever back and forth to see if it feels right?...
            Another possibility has just occurred to me. I fitted the gearbox about a year ago. I've had the problem before that the clutch plate sticks to the flywheel after standing a long time, like over winter. Usually I solved this by starting the engine with gear in and handbrake on. Can't do that in this case. Might see if I can just get a rod into the bellhousing and give the clutch plate a knock with a hammer unless anyone has got any good ideas?

Comment

me too! In actual fact, I was depressing it whilst stood next to the car wiht the foot inside, so I was applying some side force too. The pedal just crumpled! Couldn't straighten it, but had a couple of spare pedal boxes, so robbed one.

Another possibility has just occurred to me. I fitted the gearbox about a year ago. I've had the problem before that the clutch plate sticks to the flywheel after standing a long time, like over winter. Usually I solved this by starting the engine with gear in and handbrake on. Can't do that in this case. Might see if I can just get a rod into the bellhousing and give the clutch plate a knock with a hammer unless anyone has got any good ideas?
              If ever I have a clutch plate that has stuck I just stick the car in gear, press the clutch pedal down and rock the car backwards and forwards until it releases......always worked for me, but there are more drastic methods which have been mentioned on here. The only problem is that with a siezed clutch you should still be able to press the pedal down. You have bent the pedal by attempting to do this, so it does sound like something else is jammed up in there.

Comment

• Found out what the clutch problem is. I think.

Obviously "thinking" wasn't something I was doing when I put the gearbox in.

Comment

Found out what the clutch problem is. I think.

Obviously "thinking" wasn't something I was doing when I put the gearbox in.
                  I'm sure we have all done that some time or other, glad you are getting somewhere with it now!

Comment

• I remember as I was putting the gearbox in, the lever fell off a couple of times. I guess that, lying under the car and working overhesd led me to think in mirror reversed mode when I popped it back into place. Anyway, gearbox out yesterday, lever turned through 180° and all back together. Taking gearboxes out of RS2000's is my favourite weekend acvtivity ....NOT!

Just been trying to get that bloody gearlever nylon screw thread into the gearbox - almost impossible to not get it cross threaded. Can't remember ever having big problems before. It's in now but, to be honest, I've no idea whether the gearbox cut its own new threads on the nylon bit or not!!

Comment

I remember as I was putting the gearbox in, the lever fell off a couple of times. I guess that, lying under the car and working overhesd led me to think in mirror reversed mode when I popped it back into place. Anyway, gearbox out yesterday, lever turned through 180° and all back together. Taking gearboxes out of RS2000's is my favourite weekend acvtivity ....NOT!

Just been trying to get that bloody gearlever nylon screw thread into the gearbox - almost impossible to not get it cross threaded. Can't remember ever having big problems before. It's in now but, to be honest, I've no idea whether the gearbox cut its own new threads on the nylon bit or not!!
                      These gear levers are bloody awkward Andrew. They are a horrible shape and you're working through the hole in the tunnel. They are supposed to have an ordinary thread but yours may have been cross threaded sometime in the past and you've just caught the bad bit of the thread! You will have to get a T9 5 speed in it, just 3 screws holding it in.

Nice to have got it sorted though!

Comment

• Just fired her up!!!

Did a last minute distributor swap a couple of days ago. When flames came out of the carbs, I knew what I'd done wrong!! Quickly turned the dizzie around 180° and, after churning the engine over long enough to get air-free petrol up to the carbs, flatten the battery etc, it fired up after only half a dozen or so cranks (with battery charging inbetween )

Bloody hell, those twin 44IDF Webers are very throaty and aggressive after 15 years of modern fuel injection cars!

It's a bit lumpy at tickover - can't quite remember if it used to be like that. Suppose it's OK considering it's got a big-valve, gas-flowed stage 3 type head, Group 1 cam etc. Smooths out above about 1700 r.p.m.

No leaks, no unusual noises. Am well chuffed.

Comment

• congratulations...................

another milestone, bet you are well pleased,

cheeRS
                          sigpic

Comment

• nice one andrew

Comment

• pics please

Comment

• Well done mate, nowt better than the first fire up
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X