Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you solve this riddle about cars

Taken from another forum

The mysterious, 140 year-old, never-changing automotive part.
    RAY: In the 1870's, there came into existence something that I would have to call a fundamental automotive invention. And this is fascinating, because it pre-dated the discovery of the automobile by a couple of decades.

You might think the automobile was invented, but it was really discovered. The light bulb was invented. The radial arm saw was invented, but not the automobile.

This device was not developed for the automobile, but it wasn't long before every single automobile manufacturer began using it. In fact, every car driven everywhere in the world today uses this device-- and not just one of them, but several.

Here's the interesting part: In over 100 years of use, the basic design has not changed. Even more interesting, in the 1890's or 1900's, when the thing began to be used widely, it cost a dime. In 2006, it costs a dime.

There are plenty of hints here, and hardly any obfuscation, but I'll give you one more hint: Most cars today use 6 or 7 of these.

What is it?

Dont know the answer yet as its not been given out

Some guesses are bulb, tyre valve, wiper blades , fuse, air for tyres
    sigpic

I'd say it was rubber (or a rubber tyre, to be exact). Process of vulcanising was discovered more or less by chance and was then developed initially to waterproof ponchos and the like in the wild west.

Comment

6 or 7 on the average car........?? we've got 2 left over dasa

Comment

Yeah, next time I'll read the question! Anyway, don't you have a spare?

Come to think of it, tyres cost more than a dime, too! Must make a note not to do quizzes before me cuppa!
        Last edited by dasadrew; 07-05-2006, 16:05.

Comment

a schrader valve

It's a little valve that keeps the air in your tyres.............. amongst other things......air con being another.
          Regards
          Stan

God Looked Down At Me, Smiled,

Then SHITE All Over My Life.............

Comment

A Seat !

Hasnt changed since the beginning

Arse on base of seat and back on rear of seat

Design hasnt changed !!!

cheeRS

DAVE

Comment

Working...
            X