Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What makes a shell working class concours?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What makes a shell working class concours?

Just wondering what judges look for in a bodyshell when they judge a working class concours car. A good bodyshop can make it difficult to detect a replacemed panel but what about things like rear arch repair panel that can be seen from inside the boot etc.. Would the car not be able to win a working class concours because of this and for this reason do people go to the lengths of fitting a rear quarter to repair a rear arch or would a car needing rear arches be considered not worthwhile doing?

Re: What makes a shell working class concours?

[quote="Sean Warburton"]bodyshell when they judge a working class concours Just wondering what judges look for in a car.
    Cleanliness is the main thing Sean.
    sigpic

Too old of a to be F**ked by kittens

RS MK2 CLUB NO/10

RSOC NO/22171

Comment

i think they look for a $50 in the glovebox !!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

no on a sensible note a working car should be just that a car is in REGULAR use and not just to and from the show

all panels should looklike it was when she rolled out !!!!!!

if you are serious about showing your car in working class speak to RS2000 custom (dave) as he is the working class hero :grin: :grin: :grin:

Comment

I have entered my MKII in the all new concours classification for 2004.

SHOW and THRASH !! - lol lol lol
        cheeRS

DAVE

Comment

Reason I asked is I bought a 1980 RS2000 Custom last week that has been unused and sat in a garage since 1984/85, I paid for it without going to view and I'm now wondering what I'm going to see when the car arrives ( I've got a car collection service collecting it ).

I know that the car has a hole on the front edge of the bonnet ( how common is this ) and scabs on the lower doors but other than that it's supposed to be 'clean' and totally original. I've worked in the motor trade for twenty years so I know that somebodies description of a car isn't really worth much so I might have bought a peach or I might have bought a basket case.

I spoke with the lad I bought it off on Monday and he was saying that someone with a Mex had spotted it from the road the other day and knocked to ask if the car was for sale, he says that he looked close to tears when he told him it was sold, so that gives me some hope.

I don't know what sitting in a garage ( a cold garage ) does to a car, does it rot less, does it rot more or does it make no difference ( i'd appreciate hearing the experiences of people who've found cars like this ). The big question in my mind is how far gone would the car have to be to make it not worth restoring to working class concours, like I asked originally would a rear arch repair panel noticeable from inside the boot stop it winning if the car was mint ( you couldn't see this when it left the factory ).

Comment

Weather or not to restore depends on your willingness to hand out money or your ability to do the work ?

also what did the car cost ? then the cost of new original parts seems to be going daft to me £400+ for 2 front wings £600+ for inner wings £400+ for quarter panels, £ couple of hundred for doors then of course thousands on engine and the like

I'm trying to get mine to be able to go for another 23 years unscathed all original panels and just about all the interior but theres lots of things to do and not the £3000+ to do it a fella I know spent somewhere around £13000 doing up a MK2 then sold it for 7,5k which in my book is maddness

Brian

Comment

I suppose until the car arrives and I see what I've bought I won't really know what to do.

It's a difficult call, do you just run them and enjoy them or make them so mint that the kids can't go anywhere near them and you don't sleep at night in case someones trying to nick it.

I know they aren't the easiest cars to stop rusting, when I left school in 83 I worked at a bodyshop and we used to tart cars up for the local sports car dealer and a lot of the cars where RS's at that time which I suppose would only be 3-7 years old and they were already prone to getting scabby.

Comment

Working...
              X