What is agood compressor set for a beginnner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is agood compressor set for a beginnner

Hello all, am thinking about giving learning to spray cars a go, now what is a good beginners type compressor and spary gun to go for, bearing in mind I may want to eventually paint a whole car????

Thanks

Lee

Best left to the experts mate harder than it looks i painted the bay & underside of mine turned out good but i don't think i would try again

Comment

It is only to do the inside, as the outside will be done by an expert...

Lee

Comment

Agree with scooby, although I've also done a lot myself.

If you're maybe planning to do the engine bay etc., then the compressor isn't too important. Just average "industrial" B&Q job would do. If you're spraying a lot (like an entire car) then you need to get into moisture traps and oil traps and cubic throughput. Then you're into big compressors which tend just to get in the way and tear the skin on your ankles for about 362 days a year. Consider even hiring one.

As regards spray guns, then I would definitely buy the absolutely best one you can afford. DeVilbiss, Sata etc. The new generation is HVLP (high-volume, low pressure) They work on 2 bar as opposed to the normal 4 bar, don't get so much overspray and they're kind on the compressor. Look at around £150.

The you get down to paint .... It's getting increasingly difficult to get 2-pack over the counter due to health laws.

Don't forget you'll need some ventilation, good masks and goggles etc. 2-pack paints are often loaded with carcenogens and cyanide so they are potentially lethal, although I must admit to not letting that worry me for the odd bit I do.

Don't underestimate the amount of spray mist you'll get - it's PHENOMENAL! If you're painting a wing with the garage door open, you'll find that colour on cars 200m down the road - REALLY! Some neighbours don't like that!

DON'T paint in the garage with doors closed - if a spark ignites the spray mist you'll beat the Americans to Mars.

I've been painting car bits but, above all, professional display models for most of my life on an amateur basis and yes, I still get runs, orange-peel, hairs in the paint and all of the other joys.

For my own car I'm going to do all of the ground work, priming, sanding, filling, sanding, filling, sanding etc. myself but take it to a shop for the topcoat. Suggest you consider this route.

Sorry if you're really up to it and the above sounds patronising, but I know so many people who have wanted to "give it a go" and I've seen battle tanks with better surface finishes!

Last, but not least, remember the joys of cleaning out the spray gun after each run - think of stripping down a carburettor and you've got some idea!

Whatever route you take, best of luck!

Comment

thats very good info dasa

after watching Richard do my car and the amount of time and prep it took, considering I did most of the flatting primer blah blah, you need real time patience and practice, I would love to do mine but kow its beyond me at the mo, and equipment to

Comment

not being funny, but back in the summer PRACTICLE CLASSICS did a product test on these electric spray stations now available, and one for about £70 gives unrecognignisable results to a spray gun, and you can buy them from argos!!

Comment

check it out wide boy!!!!

Buy Product not found at Argos. Thousands of products for same day delivery, or fast store collection.

Comment

Hey thanks for that, may have to look into that....

So, once again, thanks cow head!

Lee

Comment

lets face it, with the best gear in the world, you're still gonna **** it up!!!

seriously, this gave good results in the mag! i'd have a practise first mind, but for £70 quid....... you cant loose. do you fence after!

Comment

Thank you for the vote of confidence!

Yes, could always do the fence after!

Lee

Comment

Originally posted by leeadams
                      Thank you for the vote of confidence!

Yes, could always do the fence after!

Lee
                      ............. yes you've got :iroc: 426 bhp, so let the pro's do it eh!
                      sigpic

Comment

There is no way on this planet that I would attempt to do the exterior of the car.....I am only thinking of the boot area, the interior....

Lee

Comment

Working...
                        X