Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many of you use an RS2000 every day?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many of you use an RS2000 every day?

....... and what are they like to live with?

I would love one but have no space to store it as the 3dr is in the garage, so it would be used every day. How many of you do this and whats it like running an old car like that?

Ian.

MODIFIED COSWORTH

GOLD CUP WINNER 2004/2005
    NATIONAL DAY WINNER 2005
    FORD FAIR WINNER 2004/2005

I did for 2 years - dropped to bits LOL....

Plus expensive to run

Comment

I tried to in the summer, but only when it's dry.

For me, it's a novelty... I love driving it, but it's a physical experience and very raw! You can proper feel what's going on through the seat of your pants.

I think it'd be hard work as a true daily driver though, esp in winter cos you do miss modern features like wipers and heaters that work well on a car! If it's a standard 4-speed then obviously it'll rev a lot on the motorway. Don't get me wrong, it's great to drive... but I don't think I'd cope using it every day having been spoilt by modern cars' refinements. Personally, I prefer to enjoy it in the right conditions rather than allowing it annoy me by detioriorating through use in bad weather, etc.

I've got a MK2 Golf GTI as well, which I use as a daily driver most of the time and it still gives an 'in tune with car and road' feeling, but with mod cons like power steering, a good heater and it's a darn site quieter. But it's still got some edge unlike some new cars which to me feel so clinical that you don't know what's going on and it's not much of a driving experience.

Chris.

Comment

i will be using mine most of the time but it be well waxoiled up to the max and have max security on it

Comment

Ian
          I've used my 76 as my daly' for the last 8 years. Its highly modified with an injected V6 and 5 speed box. Its not garaged and sits outside all year. If you discount the fact I'm on my 2nd Engine, 3rd Gearbox, 4 diffs and 2 axles its a costs nufin to run!!. In all honesty, its getting tatty now. Ive just git hit up the arse so I'm having all the back end damage and rust sorted, but in all reality the front end needs stripping as well. The vinyl should come off as wel, its full of bubbles!.
          If you want concours you cant do it. If you enjoy it, do it. I went to Belguim (Classic Ford), Ireland, France, and I'm going to Ireland next year(CF). No problem.
          I treat it as a Penis extention, it might by old and tatty, but it'll p**s all over youger models, and anyone who gets a ride just screams and wets themselves. Need I sat more. !

Comment

I drive my Mex every day to and from work, come rain or shine (its my only car) the 1,6 is ok on fuel now 210 miles per tank. i have only been using it since april tho, so Long tearm cant realy comment. however the heater does begin to work very quickly

More Pics
            1978 RS Mexico
            Rear wheel drive 4 t3h win \\o/

Comment

I had one that i used daily for 2 years, it was rough round the
              edges had a 5 speed and standard diff, the engine was modified
              but ran on a standard carb, it was coated with waxoyl and the bad
              bits really didnot deteriorate in that time. if you remember it is a
              25 year old + car and take this into account i would say you could easily
              use one everyday, all year round. My only breakdown was a flat battery,
              and the only reason i sold it was because the other one was in the
              garage and i felt i could not justify having the 2 of them. I treated it as any other car would park it anywhere and go anywhere with it, i would
              have another to use everyday if i didnot have my red one and would
              say i probably had more enjoyment from the one i used daily than the one i only use in the summer

Comment

i use my 4 door and have done for the past 2 years

its like driving a big rwd mini

air con, PAS, electric windows, etc are all for girls and i frankly dont need them

the only downside is that it prob costs a little bit more to run than a new car,, i get roughly 20 mpg round town from my 1.3 on dcoe's, and about 30-35 mpg on motorways

should change a bit once the type 9 is in, and should get a lot better when theres a pinto injection in it

http://theplateman.com/ - euro/german plates

Comment

I use my 4 dooe everyday too!!! 2.0 pinto on twin choke webber is a bit thirsty tho!!

Comment

Used to run the mex every day for about 2 years. Never had a single problem with it even in winter. Only needed routine servicing. Must have been lucky!!!!!! Even the heater worked properly which is a "First"
                    Autumn Has Arrived by Kevin Frost, on Flickr

CHES'S UNDERSTUDY...........

Comment

My RS uses me every day. It uses me to file it, sand it, weld it, prime it and paint it. It's never grateful and doesn't even clean up the garage after it's used me for a whole weekend.

If I try and ignore it for a while, it develops rust rash in protest at my neglect. It insists on me attending to it more than the girlfriend.

Although it is only 30 years old, it suffers from terible incontinence and expects me to mop up all sorts of unpleasant spills day after day.

After a weekend of it using me I am completely spent. It uses my wallet more than any girlfriend or wife. No matter how much I shower it with gifts it is never satisfied and always wants more.

I think Im going to start a Battered RS Owner's Refuge.

Comment

LOL @ Andrew.
                        Autumn Has Arrived by Kevin Frost, on Flickr

CHES'S UNDERSTUDY...........

Comment

LOL

Only thing to bear in mind is if you take it to work is it parked safe.

A complete novice in the art of car crime could have the best of them away in under a minute. I drive mine most places but I won't take it into town to sit in a carpark. You just know that some YTP or even worse some retired joy rider is going to have a go!
                          We're not Brazil, we're Northern Ireland

Comment

I sold a VW Golf 4motion with all the toys to own and drive a 79 RS on a daily basis. I was looking for a useable classic that I could run & restore at the same time. Its more fun to drive than the golf and lots of people point and wave as they dont see them a great deal. Its just as expensive to run with a std carb (2.1 engine, arent they all !) and 4 speed box as a 204bhp golf. I work with lots of former owners of both mk1 & mk2's and they all have an opinion on something wether its carb's or 4speed vs 5speed. Its ok as a daily driver, just allow extra travelling time and join the AA!!

And no my heater doesnt work either.....
                            :compress:

Comment

pmsl at Andrew!

Thanks for the replys!!

At the minute I drive a £600 1.4 M reg astra which costs buttons to run, but is as boring as my ex wife. :cyclops: :cyclops:

The misses has a Civic Type R and I need something to have some fun in, hence the 2000. What sort of money would a Custom model thats got a few good bits on that I could use every day worth?

Having looked at a few for sale I imagine around the £2500 mark??

Ian.

MODIFIED COSWORTH

GOLD CUP WINNER 2004/2005
                              NATIONAL DAY WINNER 2005
                              FORD FAIR WINNER 2004/2005

Comment

Working...
                              X