Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Copyright question

Hi all,

I know I cannot reproduce genuine articles and sell them on as the original.
    But, can I take a photo of a famous painting and print that out at home, frame it and hang it on the wall?
    I know I can ... but is it violating copyright?
    Now what if I use my photo of the painting have it printed 25 times and send these out to friends as a XMas gift; is that violating copyright?

Thnx, L.

Shop by department, purchase cars, fashion apparel, collectibles, sporting goods, cameras, baby items, and everything else on eBay, the world's online marketplace

Ebay is usualy red hot on copyright infringement and they allow these to be sold
    cheeRS

DAVE

Comment

Well Leonardo (Leon) da Vinci is not around any more to send a dozen lawyers to that ebay-seller but what if the maker of "my painting" is?

Comment

Originally posted by RS2000CUSTOM View Post
        http://www.ebay.com/bhp/mona-lisa-painting

Ebay is usualy red hot on copyright infringement and they allow these to be sold
        it's nothing to laugh about
        what i need is a high horse like the others have !

Comment

Also, what if the photo I took was of a (licensed) reproduction of the original painting?

Comment

Shop by department, purchase cars, fashion apparel, collectibles, sporting goods, cameras, baby items, and everything else on eBay, the world's online marketplace

Originally posted by morcheen View Post

it's nothing to laugh about
            Tell me where anything of my statement is laughing
            cheeRS

DAVE

Comment

Originally posted by Miniliteman View Post

Well Leonardo (Leon) da Vinci is not around any more to send a dozen lawyers to that ebay-seller but what if the maker of "my painting" is?
              Leon you need to stop talking in riddles and say exactly what you mean ??

I dont know if anyone on here is a copyright lawyer so people will only have an opinion but what is the "your painting" you are concerned about ?
              cheeRS

DAVE

Comment

Copyright is retained 'in perpetuity' by the author, artist or originator of the work and there subsequent estate and beneficiaries. It is whether they chose to pursue an infringement on those rights. Usually if there is a monetary gain off the back of the use, or a damage / harm is caused to the 'estate'. a claim would be brought or pursued ie. a burger joint with a Big red capital M called Muckdougal's would definitely be asking for a legal kicking even though the majority of people would know its not the other lot! Pictures of pictures doesn't absolve the user of their responsibility to the originator in law!

Comment

Thinking of making a calendar with prints like these:

Comment

Thinking of making a calendar with prints like these:

If you are copying other peoples work then you are always wise to obtain permission off them first! Producing calendars from their work which could be sold on is even a bigger reason to obtain their permission! Some work around is copyright free, but you need to find out for definite. If in doubt then you need to ask!

Comment

The fella that did those originals is still around - Lives in Wales

Comment

Originally posted by Alan View Post
                        The fella that did those originals is still around - Lives in Wales
                        Yes I know; will contact him to discuss my idea.

Comment

Yes I know; will contact him to discuss my idea.
                          I think these would make a great calendar if you can get his permission.
                          sigpic

Comment

der

Tell me where anything of my statement is laughing

wow! sense of humour bypass so not heard of the phrase 'enigmatic smile' then ?
                            what i need is a high horse like the others have !

Comment

Contacted Keith Davies and the problem is that he is not the copyright owner for the painting he was commisioned to do and that are most of them.

Comment

Working...
                              X