Importing a Car - Form Filling Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Importing a Car - Form Filling Advice

I'm importing a car from Germany and would like to speak to anyone who has experience filling out the NOVA and V55/5 forms that HMRC and the DVLA require before they will allow the car to be registered.

If you can help please PM me with your contact number and a convenient time to call you.

Thanks in advance
    Cheers

You can do the NOVA part yourself if you are registered with HMRC i.e. you have filed your tax return online at some point. Its the same government gateway ID.
    Its very straight forward and takes about 10 minutes. You usually get a declaration issued straight away unless you need to pay any import duty or VAT.
    HMRC automatically notify DVLA of the vehicles arrival using the chassis number you declare.
    If you haven't a Government gateway ID, you can apply for one off the website,but i think they send the log in details out by snail mail,so it could be a little bit of a delay.
    Or you can use the services of an agent registered with HMRC for NOVA.
    If it helps here is the email address for the HMRC car team in Salford.They will probably be able to give you the name of a local NOVA agent to you.

ecsm.nchcars@hmrc.gsi.gov.uk

DVLA will only issue a V5 if you send in all of the following:
    completed form V55/5
    completed application for road tax
    current valid UK MOT cert
    current valid certificate of insurance
    documents to confirm you identity usually photocopy of your photo driving licence and one to confirm your address such as a household bill or bank statement.
    The foreign vehicle registration document, original one not a copy.
    And of course the fee's..... best to check what the current fee's are from the web site.

The way I did it was to get the car MOT'd first then sort out the insurance cover. Then send off all the documents etc.
    Be prepared it will take some time for DVLA to process it and issue the V5. Also you can't SORN it until the V5 has ben issued.

Hope that helps

Comment

Thanks for the reply

I've managed to find a girl that worked in my local DVLA office in Carlisle who is going to make sure it is filled in correctly
      Cheers

Comment

Working...
      X