Seats no longer out of date!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seats no longer out of date!

I will be extremely surprised if I am wrong about this.
    Competition seats no longer "in date" so can they legally be re upholstered, new Hologram sticker and Date sticker and legal for competition use again as per FIA regulations?

No! Reupholstering will NOT re-homologate the seats. The FIA homologation is done on ALL the seat components...fabric, foam padding and, more importantly, the seat construction, be it steel tubing, fibre-glass or carbon fibre. I believe it is possible for competition seats to be returned to the manufacturer to be checked over, and if OK, can extend the homologation for another 2 years, but the cost will be more than a new seat!!! You would need to contact the seat manufacturer.

You could sell the seats to help fund replacement competition seats. At the moment the "Out-of date" competition seats can still be used in track days, sprints, autocross, autosolos and autotests.

Comment

Reason for the question is that I was interested in buying his rally car and he told me that this was an option for the seats. Needless to say I won't be buying it as if he thinks that is a solution then what is the car like. I have came across too many rally guys selling duff cars. Too many of them are as bad as dodgy car dealers and will sell you something that can threaten you life!

Comment

Yes, walk away, there are plenty more cars about.

We see many, shall we say unsafe, competition cars presented for scrutineering, and you have to wonder why people bother! When I approach a car before I begin scrutineering the car, I'm looking at it, thinking "Would I be happy and safe in this one?"!!!

We had a rally car recently with out of date belts AND seats, and it had been noted in the Competition Car Log Book on a previous rally! Needless to say, we asked him, politely, to take his car away and come back when it's sorted!

Comment

Having just bought new seats for the Red Baron I'd of been ****ed if this was the case
          sigpic

Comment

Working...
          X