Ford track control arms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ford track control arms

Anyone tried to buy track control arms from ford lately?
    I have just been told no longer available, although a few people have said you can still get them. GMS capri was one of them,
    Anyone know where i can get FoMoCo ones?
    sigpic

you can get ford one but they are £145 a pair unless you can get discount

hardly worth it when replacements are £20 a pair

Comment

Can get discount mate works in ford dealer but says NLA
      For concours project
      sigpic

Comment

Depends on the £20 or £145...

LOL

Ones at £145 are that much better plain as....

Comment

I have never had any problem with a £20

Comment

Originally posted by dingy
            Depends on the £20 or £145...

LOL

Ones at £145 are that much better plain as....
            IM with Dingy..........read this.............................................. ...........

With the limited choice of TCA's about now, it seems many brands are coming from the same production line.

The particular ones I have had the misfortune of buying, have oversize holes where the swaybar passes through.

The hole is around 3mm oversize in diameter.

The rubber bushes fitted as supplied do not match as they are still standard size. However they are glued with contact adhesive to prevent them from flopping around before they leave the shop. Obviously contact adhesive will not withstand suspension forces.

Currently available aftermarket urethane bushes do not resolve the excess clearance issue.

Additionally, the OD of the bush also has negligible support compared to the OEM part and the webbing thickness at the middle of the bush is thicker.

The downsides are reduced roll control, reduced bush roll force capacity, reduced bush brake force capacity, reduced brake force control and negative castor.

All the arms I have seen so far with the problem, have the number 603 on the arm.

Cheers

John
            .................................................. .................................................. .....

Do QH have 603 on them?

MG

.................................................. .................................................. .....

Well some things that were in a QH box do, among others.

Cheers

John

John,

Where is 603?

Can u tell differences??

Usually markings on bottom tin cover on ball is give away

RM in Adelaide

.................................................. .................................................. ......

RM,

On the vertical webbing of the I section.

Push the rubber out of the swaybar hole and measure its diameter.

Any sign of glue around the edges of the bush.?

Cheers

John

I had the same problem just recently...

I hunted around but couldn't find any that had the same shape/size in the Caster bush hole as the OE ford items. I modified the hole to match the SuperPro bushes and OE ford detail. See the picture below.

Note that these also had the 603 on them.

The arms were overall VERY badly finished. The same as John discovered above the "webbing" on the arms I had was also thicker by about 2.4mm approx but it varied. The hole was oversized by about 3 to 4 mm, and again this varied between the arms.

I made some spacers that were a press fit into the arm and aided with a bit of loctite retaining compound. Each spacer had to be made a specific size to match the arm. The "webbing" in the arm was machined down to match the thickness of the OE ford arms (which was about 7.1 mm). This was extrememly difficult to do as it is very hard to mount the arm on a mill bed. Also the hole detail around the caster bush was too small so the SuperPro bush did not fit in properly so this had to be enlarged out slightly and neatened up at the same time as taking the thickness down to 7.1 mm.

This is my working out - but given that the arms vary so much not much use to anyone else.....

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

All in all a "bit" dodgy I know but I couldn't think of much else to do....

Kris White

.................................................. .................................................. ......

Kris,

I've thought about doing something similar on the rubbish I bought. Concluded cost of bauying and then fixing is not worth it.

Suspension place is looking at doing poly bushes to suit as the avilable arms with reasonable life balljoint all seem to have same problem.

As you say they are dodgy with variation from arm to arm. If joint QA is like QA of the rest of the arm I can't see them lasting long, contrary to claims.

Could be equally bodgy and pump gap full of poly-u in a tube, just need to find hard setting poly-u, maybe sikaflex panel adhesive poly-u. Goes aginst the grain though.

Cheers

John

.................................................. .................................................. ........

John,

Here are better pics of roadsafe units above.

It apears they have yellow glue on rubbers.

603 cast in eye beam recess too.
            RM in Adelaide

[img][/img]

Comment

i have got a pair of both and when i tried to fit the patern ones they just don't sit right so i put the genuine new ford ones on and they fit 100%
              you can still get them from fords as i only got a pair in jan of this year
              i piad about £115 each with the VAT....
              sigpiccheeRS paul

Comment

Working...
              X