My stink wheel on the dyno

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by richie View Post
    What's betting mk1 Gaz will be along later to put you all right !
    The clock is ticking lol

Comment

40mm carbs are too small for higher revs. I would try to use 45's (38 or 40 Venturi) carburetor, and used L1 cams. The problem is the crankshaft (max 7000 safe) in your setup.

Comment

I wont up size the carbs for another 500 rpm. If the engine has to be built again i will consider a steel crank.

I like having the OE 40's on

Comment

It looks a good useable street motor.Whats the point in tuning it to a standstill with massive carbs and thus making it a pig to drive?

Comment

It might have been a good plan to gor for a steel crank as, unlike pinto cranks, the cast item isn't bullet-proof. As regards larger carbs if set right tractability should be very similar to using smaller carbs.
            Poor set-up and choosing the wrong cam for road use is what'll get you a pig to drive.
            As kas says though, there's no need to squeeze every last drop of performance out of an engine, the extra outlay is often not worth it and you can't use it legally on the roads most of the time anyway...

Comment

Not the size of the carburetor makes the drivability. I currently have a Pinto with 50er carbs in the workshop. Drives better than most Pinto with IDF carbs. My 1760 X-Flow with 45mm carburetors and more than 160hp is driveability from approx 2300 revs. With 3.77 and T9 box, 175/70-13 tires, it is very nice driveability on the street.

Comment

I was speaking figuratively when I mentioned big carbs
                I should of known to cover all bases when posting on here!

Comment

Working...
                X