Shipping a nosecone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shipping a nosecone

Can anyone recommend a method of shipping a nosecone, I have used Paisley freight previously for a tailgate but a nosecone is a bit more fragile does anyone have any ideas.

cheers Kev

i'd go for a flat rectangular piece of hardboard as a base and two uprights of wood screwed from the bottom to support the inside of the slam panel bit,then plenty of bubble wrap packing around it with brown tape to finish off stating FRAGILE "FIBREGLASS STRUCTURE INSIDE"on the top - its gonna cost ya i guess ................ where's it going as a matter of interest .................. sometimes theres more than a friendly few on here willing to drop things off

Comment

this bit of artwork is also for sale at £150.00 ................... i can get Ari Vatanen to sign it for you too, add another £200

Comment

Hi,

I posted a nosecone last year to the UK. Made a 5 x 2 x 2 ft MDF box with foam (polystyrene) glued to the inside. Wrapped the nosecone in thick bubblewrap and supported it inside the box with some more foam-blocks.
        Total weights was 28 kgs and the buyer arranged for UPS to collect it all from my home. Packaging materials cost about GBP 40 + you need some hours to put it together.
        See photos.

Leon.
        Attached Files

Comment

you and Grum ever thought of going into business together Leon...........

cheeRS
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by graham John View Post
            you and Grum ever thought of going into business together Leon...........

cheeRS
            Leon does the coffins and I'll do the headstones

Comment

I would have thought some serious HD corrugated cardboard box would do it, i.e. furniture (bed, table etc) box.
              I've sent an axle casing in one of those HD boxes, no problem. maybe a couple of sheets of extra HD corrugated cardboard inside (double walling it) and some struts, e.g. a cut down broom handle ought to be enough.

There's no need to go mental, i.e. a real belt-and-braces-job. I even sent a Mk 1 Focus RS rad grille to the states once (which is seriously fragile), and only used foam and cardboard to reinforce the box I chose, and it arrived fine.

I suppose if you're sending mint NOS gear, it might be worth the extra weight/hassle, but usually, if you think about the dynamics of what you're sending and pick the right box (and reinforce/pad it well enough) you can usually avoid complicated and expensive solutions.

As far as the cost and courier goes, it might be worth giving this lot a try Shiply

Comment

I forgot to mention, it is also often quite a good idea to get a second, slightly smaller box so that if the item moves around a lot in transit, it can puncture the wall of the box it is in but will have to make it through the second box, including reinforecement and/or padding to suffer any damage.

Nothing I send ever gets damaged in transit, I just can't be doing with the stress of dealing with people on ebay saying that their item either hasn't arrived or has arrived damaged.
                Not only that, but I know what a massive pain it is when you get something that somebody has p*** poorly packaged and has sustained damage in transit .

Comment

Originally posted by rwdrs View Post
                  I suppose if you're sending mint NOS gear, it might be worth the extra weight/hassle,
                  Jamie, the nosecone was a NOS item!

Comment

Originally posted by Miniliteman View Post
                    Jamie, the nosecone was a NOS item!
                    Hence the qualification

Comment

cheers for the replies guys, I am actually on the look out for a nose cone and usually they are mostly down south and pick up only, so just looking for options that would be simple for the seller if I find one

Comment

Originally posted by kev14 View Post
                        cheers for the replies guys, I am actually on the look out for a nose cone and usually they are mostly down south and pick up only, so just looking for options that would be simple for the seller if I find one
                        Was that before or after I sold the F.O.R.D. one from the car!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by thedman View Post
                          Was that before or after I sold the F.O.R.D. one from the car!!!!!
                          lost me Darren

Comment

Originally posted by kev14 View Post
                            lost me Darren
                            I sold the one off the car (banger/scrapper/nail) I bought, you never said you were after one!!!

Comment

Ah I see, not really been looking as such Darren, the one on mines has been painted and I would rather have one that hasnt.

Comment

Working...
                              X