Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

reached the peak...........................

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• reached the peak...........................

of Pen y Fan (Brecon Beacons) on the weekend, been living in its shadow for the last 50 odd years therefore thought we would go and see what all the fuss was about,

wished i had done it sooner, amazing experience

and Jaci and Roxy on the precipice, a long long sheer drop

cheeRS
    sigpic

Been up there a few times G, sometimes business and sometimes pleasure, always a superb experience, looks like you picked a good day weather wise, did you go up from the storey arms side? Pics look like the M1 as its nicknamed

Comment

yes taffr, went up from Storey arms, thought we were doing well untill we got to the valley about a third of the way up , saw a few 'gorse bushes' walking around up there in the bracken, most had large backpacks of some sort or another.

weather was absolutely superb, walking like a crab now though..........

cheeRS
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by graham John View Post
        yes taffr, went up from Storey arms, thought we were doing well untill we got to the valley about a third of the way up , saw a few 'gorse bushes' walking around up there in the bracken, most had large backpacks of some sort or another.

weather was absolutely superb, walking like a crab now though..........

cheeRS
        Did you nip over the fence next to the telephone box? steep old start on that section, you gotto watch out for those bushes, you never know............

Comment

Originally posted by taffr View Post
          Did you nip over the fence next to the telephone box? steep old start on that section, you gotto watch out for those bushes, you never know............
          yep, that very starting point, thought i got off to a good start by climbing the fence, "not far to go now" i thought ..............

that is one hell of a drop off the top facing Sennybridge / libanus / Epynt though, eh ?

cheeRS
          sigpic

Comment

yep, that very starting point, thought i got off to a good start by climbing the fence, "not far to go now" i thought ..............

that is one hell of a drop off the top facing Sennybridge / libanus / Epynt though, eh ?

cheeRS
            A few been lost over there in bad weather

The M1 route starts in the lay by further down toward your gaff, say 200m, so called as every man and his dog uses it, a lot easier than the route you chose, one day you should get dropped off at storey arms and walk home over the mountain, a recommended day out, that way you would have done half of what the men in black do on one of their tests, it's a lovely walk back into Merthyr from the top.

Comment

saw a couple of 'men in black' one was quite old, the other much younger.

the 'third' reservoir in the above pic (far distance) is just behind the House therefore will deffo do that walk early spring 2013.

i now understand more fully why a few have been lost over the edge in bad weather , and also why the Air ambulance is kept busy in that part.

we did contemplate the 'lay by ' route which looked more gradual and not so steep, however went the more direct route - straight up.

you ever done the 'Roman run' over the knife edge Taffr ??

cheeRS
              sigpic

Comment

you ever done the 'Roman run' over the knife edge Taffr ??

cheeRS
                Is that the route up from Brecon to the top? Done that one a few times, let me know when you are going to do the long walk home and I'll come along if that's ok, maybe a few others would like to do it too? Corn Du opposite is a good climb, a lot shorter but a lot lot steeper, need a good set of lungs for that one.

Comment

Did you not meet anyone famous up there?
                  RUD1T

Comment

Originally posted by taffr View Post
                    Is that the route up from Brecon to the top? Done that one a few times, let me know when you are going to do the long walk home and I'll come along if that's ok, maybe a few others would like to do it too? Corn Du opposite is a good climb, a lot shorter but a lot lot steeper, need a good set of lungs for that one.
                    yep, also done Corn Du on saturday, and yes, the thin air and very very steep ascent really took it out on me.

will organise a 'Works ' walk for the spring...................

cheeRS
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Hemant Patel View Post
                      Did you not meet anyone famous up there?

Dont think anyone famous would be daft enough to go up there for a walk ............

cheeRS
                      sigpic

Comment

Did the Mutt give you a piggy back cause surely you couldn't have made it up there un aided???
                        Autumn Has Arrived by Kevin Frost, on Flickr

CHES'S UNDERSTUDY...........

Comment

Originally posted by Frosticles View Post
                          Did the Mutt give you a piggy back cause surely you couldn't have made it up there un aided???

'your' Gazeebo wouldnt have lasted long up there Tramp........

cheeRS
                          sigpic

Comment

wished i had done it sooner, amazing experience

cheeRS
                            Any relation?

Comment

same bloke different dogs

Comment

Working...
                              X