Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice please

Hi Guys

needs some advice, as you know i have a mk2 mex that i've just started to restore, but i am having second thoughts about it as i dont have the time (work shifts and 2 young children) and also as the misses is part time we havernt got an abundance of cash.
    I have been thinking of selling up and buying another rs1600 i. i have owned 4 of these cars now and love them (yes i know there front wheel drive)
    I would ideally love to put the mex away and start it when time and money allows and use and enjoy the 16i for a few years.
    I am worried that if i sell the mex i wouldnt get another one or any old school car in the future as the price will keep going up and price me out of the market ?
    I thought about getting someone to do the hard bits on the mex but thats one of the reasons for buying it and if i dont complete it i will feel a bit of a failure and if i just kept plodding on with it when i get time (probarly 5-10 hrs a week) i feel it would take me for ever.
    so what are your thought guys - be gentle with me

tough one mate. If it was me, shelve the Mex but dont let it go.

your right in saying that you may not find one when the time is right for you. The only reason I would only sell now if it was life or death choice. I dont urge for another RS anymore like I did for years & years when I was going through the rest of the RS range (not 100% true, people who know me know what I crave for)

Comment

If you've got somewhere to put it Vinny and don;t need to realise the cash then definitely keep the Mex - they are getting harder and harder to find.

RSOC Member - 6960

Comment

cheers for the replys lads, yes i have somehwere to keep it, gotta try and convince the misses now

Comment

you have already sold one mex which was a rare enough car in its own right, id keep the mex in storage, but how safe is the storage???? as you know many cars are goin for a drive without a trace........ im sure your wife will let you keep it but with some strings attached......best of luck vinny

Comment

Keep hold of the old girl and get the RS1600i and i dont care that they are front wheel drive as i love them

Comment

vinny i know what you are going through i had to sell my lovely signal yellow rs2000 last year for purely finacial reasons,i regret it every day and i gave it away going by the recent prices but if you have to sell it for your family then you have to mate

Comment

I agree, keep the car if you are happy with the car, as long as you have somewhere safe and secure and its not a money thing put it to one side, at least you know it will always be there, god knows what it will be like in a couple of years time trying to find any mk2 RS,

Comment

Originally posted by Trickster
                  Keep hold of the old girl
                  he never said he was binning the missus!

you know my thoughts vinny, we have spoken already, i say sell the mex, release the money, you may go back to it in a few years and it really will be a pile of brown mess, or it'll get nicked, either way you will be out of pocket, buy the 16 ukeleft: sell the golfs and mex

Comment

any more thoughts lads

Comment

Kepp the Mex Vin. Becoming very rare now. Do the honourable thing and get a MK1 Golf GTi
                      Autumn Has Arrived by Kevin Frost, on Flickr

CHES'S UNDERSTUDY...........

Comment

keep the mex!
                        Ex-Chairman of 'The Clique'

Comment

Mex

Hi Vinny,

Don't sell!

It's not a poor car by any means judging by our conversations in the recent past.

Getting someone to do the hard bits (bodywork by any chance!) is the expensive route, although paint needs to be done by a professional usually - which can cost!

Put away and plod away at it - i've let some half finished rare cars go in the past, and still regret letting them go to this day. Hence not 1 but 3 Mexicos! One day soon I'll be bankrupt!

Give me a shout soon - shall try and make National Day in BAY 150T hopefully, so might see you there!

Paul
                          Member number 248

Comment

Get it done Vinny

has the missus given up on a new car now then LOL

Comment

I say get rid Vinny.
                              Got rid of ALL my stuff and cars,as you know,and although i did regret it for a few weeks,i'm well over it now,alot happier and i dont keep fretting about buying that ever elusive next bit.
                              Got a good deal from Darran,and it paid to put a new bathroom in my place plus pay off 3 credit cards!! And i still had change to buy a t-bar MR2.
                              I'm now in a postion to put loads by each month (where as before i was squandering cash on parts) and i will buy a Mexico that someone has minted for me and save me all the aggro.
                              Listen mate,i know everyone on ere is pally pally,and thats cool.But it is only a car mate.Trust me.

Comment

Working...
                              X