In sad times

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by steven f View Post
    it wont restore all the panels/shell are warped with the heat it takes the strengh out of them sorry to say this its scrap the only value is the logbook for a re-shell/ringer
    I don't want the car to be restored. I will scrap it and the Log Book will be sent to the DVLA for disposal.
    I "May" try & buy back from Insurance. But, Purely for parts only (If there is anything that can be salvaged) I will then have the shell crushed.
    Autumn Has Arrived by Kevin Frost, on Flickr

CHES'S UNDERSTUDY...........

Comment

As a new member I'm quite astounded by the response its a really good thing that people that sometimes only know someone thru a forum can still get on like they've known them for years
      Wish all forums were like this.
      I've only known kev for a year or so thru selling a rc frs and the NOTTS Rsoc and got on straight away truly gutted for him bit like I said in a txt to him he is ok and the wife and kiddies weren't in the mex. its a proper frightening thought being trapped in a fire. I'm still in the stages of welding mine and the small fire I had , had me flappin like an idiot.
      Kev if you do decide a resto I'm only 5 mins from you and would love to help.
      frs2092 trashing tarmac in mansfield
      installer/supplier upvc windows & doors call me for free measure quotation 07725975546

Comment

would be a crying shame and waste to crush the shell imho
        will only have been tosted on the top half

new roof and a pillars and will be as good as
        wouldnt suprise me if theres still paint on the floor

i know i would be gutted if it was mine
        but id still want to fix it

Comment

Afraid I fully agree with Frosty and Steven, the heat damage makes that shell a total loss, it will be twisted and weakened by the high temperatures and subsequent rapid cooling.

Sure Frosty would never feel the same about the car and he will find a good replacement that we can all abuse as much as the last

Son
          sigpic

Comment

But don't you think to "crush" a piece of history is a waste.
            Disposal of the shell is such a shame, the chassis rails surely would be nearly there and put on a jig the shell would be perfectly useable.
            We've all seen some of the projects on this site and what people bring back from the dead is amazing.
            The real cost would be trim etc but to somebody with motorsport in mind or a poor rotton shell it would be a god send.

Yes I can understand you want proper closesure but when the shell has gone, if you didn't keep in touch with the receiver you'd never know.

Comment

I am hoping that the insurance give it a Class A or B write off. Never to be let back onto the road.
              Yes, Probably the shell could be saved but the point is, I don't want it to be saved.
              Autumn Has Arrived by Kevin Frost, on Flickr

CHES'S UNDERSTUDY...........

Comment

Originally posted by Frosticles View Post
                I am hoping that the insurance give it a Class A or B write off. Never to be let back onto the road.
                Yes, Probably the shell could be saved but the point is, I don't want it to be saved.
                Kev
                you do what you have to mate folk will understand
                Difficult roads often lead to beautiful places

Comment

It's still very raw and not actually knowing you personally I surpose I was thinking of the marque.
                  As already said, it's your choice and with all the friends you have within the RS scene you will no doubt have more than enough advise.
                  Just don't act in haste, but dealing with an insurance company should give you time enough, good luck and I hope you return to the RS family .

Comment

Originally posted by NORTH YORKS RS SPARES View Post
                    Im very very gutted for Kev ,

If there is a chance the car can be restored and i can help in any way please just ask

I would love to see it brought back to life

I would never restore a shell like that, once that much heat gets into that steel, it's finished, that's why you're not allowed to gas weld unitary chassis cars. There's no strength left in the metal afterwards

Sad to see it go, like the pics of that Sunbeam that were posted on here last year, a cautionary tale. An extinguisher might have helped, but it's usually too late by the time you notice it.

Sad story.

Comment

Originally posted by rwdrs View Post
                      I would never restore a shell like that, once that much heat gets into that steel, it's finished, that's why you're not allowed to gas weld unitary chassis cars. There's no strength left in the metal afterwards

Sad to see it go, like the pics of that Sunbeam that were posted on here last year, a cautionary tale. An extinguisher might have helped, but it's usually too late by the time you notice it.

Sad story.
                      I absolutely agree with this comment as it will be difficult to find anything of use off this car as the intense heat will have weakened most of the parts. I certainly would not want to recover the burnt out shell either.

Only way forward is to hopefully recover exactly what the car is worth and spend that money on finding another good one, or spend less on a cheaper one and spend the difference on bringing it back up to Kevs standard and spec.

Whatever Kev decides, I wish him the very best of luck with it!

Tim

Comment

Originally posted by Frosticles View Post
                        If cat A or B you cant buy back anyway ,had this with my daughters car recently ,cat B can be stripped for spares but shell must be crushed ie salvage company only not individual.
                        Best thing for it too with that heat damage.
                        CheeRS Neil

Comment

Originally posted by rwdrs View Post

Sad story.
                          Sorry to say but thats rubbish , the shell can be fixed and is not any weaker , The new trend for Group 4 shells is to seam weld them by brazing them rather than mig etc , no way does it alter the shells strenght or they wouldnt do it , Plus how is your roof skin joined to the pillars , wink wink

Doesnt matter anyway as Kev doesnt want it fixed
                          Proud to be the RS500 registrar for www.rs500owners.com

Comment

Working...
                          X