Laptop/internet issues. Help needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laptop/internet issues. Help needed

I've not been able to get on the internet on the laptop for about a week, but i can still get on on my iphone.
    Whilst checking it today it came up with this

I've been on to sky about it and they can't help!
    I've also tried using the ethernet cable into the router,and it still wouldn't work.
    Any ideas guys?

Cheers

Plug the ethernet cable into the router
    Go to START/PROGRAMS/ACCESORIES/COMMAND PROMPT
    - a text window appears
    Type "ipconfig" and hit Return
    You should see "default gateway" and an IP address starting: 192.168......
    This is the address of the router and if you open Internet Explorer (or Firefox - whatever) and type in this address, you can log in to the router and interrogate it to find out where the fault lies. Let us know how you get on...
    Cheers
    CHRiS

Comment

Thanks
      I did what you said and run "sky test" and it says "DSL line is OK. You are connected using IPoE"
      But i still can't access the tinterweb

Comment

I don't think that's right. I believe you should be connected using PPOA or PPOE.
        When you log in to the router (I assume you are using a Sky router?) and go to the Maintenance section - under "Router Status", it should show hours and minutes "up time" .
        Can you post what the stats are under "ADSL LINK" / CONNECTION SPEED (up and down)/LINE ATTENUATION / NOISE MARGIN
        Cheers
        CHRiS

Comment

I can't see any of those on the router status menu?!

Comment

Found them
            Connection speed up 798kbps down 2703kbps
            Line attenuation up 35.0db down 57.5db
            Noise margin up 9.6db down 12.8db

Comment

Those stats look ok actually - in which case its more likely to be a prob with the laptop. What Windows are you running? If Vista or 7, you can right click on the network icon (bottom right of screen) and select "Network and sharing centre". This gives you a graphical picture of your connection. If you have a red cross on your link, click on it to select "diagnose problem"
              Cheers
              CHRiS

Comment

I'm on windows 7
                Just done as you said and it came up with

Comment

And then this

Comment

Out of interest, are you using the Sky broadband to connect to your iPhone or is it using its own connection? If its using Sky, the router must be ok. I'm assuming that you've rebooted the laptop?
                    Cheers
                    CHRiS

Comment

Yes i'm using the sky router on my phone and its fine and quick
                      I've tried several times rebooting the laptop over several days

Comment

OK. so its a laptop problem then. You need to do a "system restore".
                        START/PROGRAMS/ACCESSORIES/SYSTEM TOOLS/SYSTEM RESTORE.
                        Select a restore point on a date when the laptop was working ok and do the thing. Will take a few minutes to run the restore, then see what ytou get.
                        Cheers
                        CHRiS

Comment

I don't think i've ever backed up the computer!
                          But on the internet icon on the bottom right of the screen now it says it got internet access but still won't connect

Comment

You won't lose any of your data. It just sets Windows back to a time when it was working properly. The only thing it affects is any software that was installed between the restore date and now and will just have to be reinstalled. But your documents etc will be safe.
                            Its going to be just a file or something that's been corrupted and a restore should sort it
                            Cheers
                            CHRiS

Comment

Ok thank you!
                              I'll try that tomorrow. Now i'm off to bed, early get up for work and all that

Comment

Working...
                              X