• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cheap insurance..............

maybe he should have bought a Ford

22 March 2011 Last updated at 19:04

Salford teenager describes £33k car insurance shock

Jake Redshaw said his independence would now have to wait until he is 18

A teenager has described his amazement after being quoted almost £33,000 to insure his second-hand car.
    Jake Redshaw, 17, from Salford, bought a six-year-old Vauxhall Corsa for £3,000 after he passed his test earlier in March.
    He told the BBC he expected comparison website insurance quotes to reach about £3,000 - but received a headline figure of £32,819 from the AA.
    The company said the figure was a mistake and should not have appeared.
    'Drop me off'
    Jake, from Eccles, was hoping to use his car to travel to Pendleton College, where he is studying IT, and his part-time job in a warehouse.
    "The average [price] was probably about £12,000, £13,000 and the cheapest was £5,700. And I got £33,000 from AA," he told the BBC.
    "I was amazed because I was expecting to pay £3,000, £4,000, but not that high.
    "I can't insure it. If I want to go out I'll have to get my mum or dad to drop me off to go out. I can't be independent as I wanted to be.
    "At 18 it apparently goes down, so I'll have to wait until then. But it's only a couple of months away so it's not that bad."
    According to the Association of British Insurers (ABI), 12% of drivers are aged 17 to 24 - but they are responsible for almost 30% of accidents.
    Business 'not wanted'
    In that age group, drivers are 10 times more likely to be involved in an accident than drivers aged over 30.
    A spokesman for the AA said the high risk associated with young male drivers meant the average industry quote for a UK male aged 17 to 22 was £2,750.
    The AA said the figure was a mistake
    "Sometimes insurance companies would prefer not to have that business and rather than not quote they quote figures they do not expect to be taken up," said the spokesman.
    "One of the insurance companies on our panel has produced a quote that just should not have appeared."

At least it included free breakdown cover

cheeRS
    sigpic

Madness,,,

This is the reason people choose to drive with no insurance,,,,its cheaper if you get caught

I dont condone this action but the insurance companys need to get there act together
    sigpic

Back with a MK1

Comment

Originally posted by alancdavis View Post
      Madness,,,

This is the reason people choose to drive with no insurance,,,,its cheaper if you get caught

I dont condone this action but the insurance companys need to get there act together
      Very true
      Autumn Has Arrived by Kevin Frost, on Flickr

CHES'S UNDERSTUDY...........

Comment

Outrageous,
        AA have always been expensive same as in 1984 with my first motor a Mexico- group 5 stupid money then.

I am sure the insurance companies premiums are high because of idiots claiming for injuries brought on by scabby claims companies on the TV. We all have to pay for all the nonsence!

Comment

i agree, fines for no insurance are chicken feed compared to that. it will only encourage more to risk it if they are faced with premiums like that, i dont know why insurance companys try to put off the business, the make hundreds of millions of pounds profit a year, think aviva posted profits of £700M in one year

Comment

The police did a stop and check on tax and insurance on the bypass outside my place of work a few months ago,and the amount of innits that had there cars taken off them due to not paying was massive (no suprise i suppose tho!!)

Comment

Working...
            X