Any Sparkies on here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Sparkies on here?

Quick Q, just been in the garage to fire up my compresor, it ran for a while and then tripped out the circuit breaker.

Checked the CB and its only 16A, my CB is a crabtree starbreaker with mini MCB's. Q is can I swap out the 16A MCB for a 30A one and if so can I just pull it out without powering down the whole unit?

Thanks,
    Mark
    [/quote]ford-rs.co.uk

Mark
    Ex X-pack owner

Whats the motor amps, has comp been running ok before, is it tripping out on start up. could be you need a motor rated breaker.

Comment

mark, the obvious person is on your doorstep
      MK2 member 091, RSOC member 2675, RS18 No 001, HRE7724 /50

My Car in the VbGarage and in My Album

Comment

Sidney, it has done this before in a previous garage that had a CB fitted, the compressor is fine.

Dave, I don't know anyone on my doorstep, who did u have in mind?
        [/quote]ford-rs.co.uk

Mark
        Ex X-pack owner

Comment

If swopping the breaker to 30A you will need 4mm cable installed to the compressor as a 16A circuit will normally be in 2.5mm cable . The breaker is tripping as there's a fault on the circuit or too much load from the appliance (compressor in this case) .
          Compressors draw a higher current when 1st fired up and this surge can trip a "B" type circuit breaker so you could fit a "C" type breaker instead but you need to know the load of the compressor 1st to be sure .
          sigpic 2.1 ATMO YB POWER .
          Tick tock goes the clock and the clock don't lie .
          12.4sec to 109mph With NO turbo , NO gay trailer , NO slicks , NO gas , NO race fuel and NO bits missing . Beat that !!!!

Comment

i know a guy from dorset whos sh*t hot with electrics (literary!)
            sigpic

Comment

If your compressor got a 13amp plug on it it should run fine on 16amp,your 16 amp mcb is protecting the cable supplying your sockets you need to know what size cable and whether its a radial or ring main circuit before fitting larger mcb

Comment

Are you shore the compressor isnt trying to start under load ie compressor fault not motor

Comment

UMM ITS ALL VERY COMPLICATED...

The sockets in my house are all on a 30A MCB so I could run an extension lead into the garage and see if that works as I don't want to risk anything.

Just read compressor manual, it only mentions 3 phase compressors must be connected to a 16A 3 pin plug.

It ran fine for about 10 mins then tripped whenthe compressor motor restarted to refill the tank.

thanks for all yr answers.

<M>
                  [/quote]ford-rs.co.uk

Mark
                  Ex X-pack owner

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
                    UMM ITS ALL VERY COMPLICATED...

The sockets in my house are all on a 30A MCB so I could run an extension lead into the garage and see if that works as I don't want to risk anything.

Just read compressor manual, it only mentions 3 phase compressors must be connected to a 16A 3 pin plug.

It ran fine for about 10 mins then tripped whenthe compressor motor restarted to refill the tank.

thanks for all yr answers.

<M>
                    3 PHASE are you sure you have ran this compressor on a 3 pin house hold plug 3 phase is industrial

Comment

Originally posted by rs new boy View Post
                      3 PHASE are you sure you have ran this compressor on a 3 pin house hold plug 3 phase is industrial
                      lol mine isn't 3 phase, the manual says if the compressor is a 3 phase one......

worked fine in the old house but that was on old fuse wire not CB's.

I will have a play tomorrow, as doing a bit of googling it could be the check valve.

bang goes my 2 days of working on the car
                      [/quote]ford-rs.co.uk

Mark
                      Ex X-pack owner

Comment

As Garry mk1GAZ said change to a type C circuit breaker (mcb) 20A should be fine if it came fitted with a 16A plug top. Its just power surge on start up.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave1800BDA View Post
                          mark, the obvious person is on your doorstep
                          Originally posted by fast eddie View Post
                          i know a guy from dorset whos sh*t hot with electrics (literary!)

Dave, Mark aint Dorset anymore, and Ed, you're a funny guy

Comment

update,

Checked compressor this morning and it does state 16A, so thats why the CB was tripping.

so workaround, plug ext lead into kitchen from garage and power compressor/welder lights of that.. easy... but a PINA.

thanks for yr replies, think I might try a 61C20 MCB when I find one.

<M>
                            [/quote]ford-rs.co.uk

Mark
                            Ex X-pack owner

Comment

Mark, surely trying the 61C20 MCB bypassing the dc current of the compressor will negate the ac surge being experienced via a 30A MCB in the board when drawing on 16A through the single phase unit until the motor 'canny take anymore Jim'

Comment

Working...
                              X