Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• helicopter survival course

as a few of us either work over sea's or on the riggs,

ive got mine in hull next week and was wondering what i could expect??
    sigpic

To be sitting on your head underwater, but you've got a diver with you all the time in case you get in trouble trying to get out.
    Murdo DA

Comment

Heres how to do it Louie !

cheeRS

DAVE

Comment

Expect to be cold & wet.
        sigpic

Comment

Grab a suit with no holes,,,,,,,,,,,,,,mine filled with water and made me look like the mitchelin man
          sigpic

Back with a MK1

Comment

i dont need the holes in the suit for that alan
            sigpic

Comment

does ADIDAS make an all in one red wet/dry suit ?

Comment

had a colour change for 2010 grum, get with the programme
                sigpic

Comment

Comment

I have not done it myself but have put a number of my men through the course,one thing to remember when you evacuate the helicopter and surface in the tank is not to hold onto the side of the emergency boat that is in the tank which one of our guys did and was told let go and tread water as how many ****ing boats do you think are going to be at the side of the crash site if you ditch in the Nort Sea

If you are up here for the week Louie where are you staying ? drop me a PM and we can grab a beer I work in Beverley
                    sigpic

Comment

its the big lads that have trouble getting out rob, cold wet and pitch black

Comment

done a few helicopter crash investiagtions in the past and its usually down to pilot error if thats makes you feel any better

Comment

thats reassuring vinny

cheers skids will let you know the details etc
                          sigpic

Comment

Free Advice !

Louie,

Speaking as a North Sea Tiger with vast experience on this subject
                            I'll give you some free advice

At the very start of the training you will be asked if anyone in the group is a non swimmer? at this point raise your hand in the air, you will probably be asked the question again, can you not swim a stroke ? Asure him not a stroke !
                            You will then be given a red hat (the rest have blue) it makes life so much easier. You are assisted in the pool by divers, you get to sit at the big massive door instead of a small window, you are rescued by divers after each helicopter ditch

I tried this last year and it worked a treat !
                            Why make it harder than it needs to be

Please let me now how you get on, best of luck and don't hesitate to ask for any other advice
                            sigpic

Comment

Did mine in Aberdeen and we did;crash on land/ditching in the sea/rig evacuation/fire fighting. One thing to remember is don't panic as you should beable to stand up in the upturned helicopter and you will have a pocket of air (or it may even break the surface).

And one last thing, just hope the fool at the side of you doesn't unclip his/her belt whilst the simulator is turning over

Comment

Working...
                              X