mondeo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mondeo

have been offered a mondeo st24,very tidy car on a R plate 70k,fsh etc.just wondered what they are like,reliability and so on??has anybody had anything to do with them??cheers

cant speak for the st24 in particular but the mk1 mondeos are good solid cars, about as good as anything on the road that age, better than most other makes design and build wise hope thats helpfullish

Comment

i had one on a p, very nice car, comfortable and reliable, but no fun, ABS, Traction stops all but sill behavior. grips like s*** to a blanket, get the suspension lowered & uprated and they go so much batter.

raced a Passat once from MK, clocket it upto 135 and held it for ages.

all round nice car.
      AKA The Dipstick

Comment

Originally posted by delrs2 View Post
        have been offered a mondeo st24,very tidy car on a R plate 70k,fsh etc.just wondered what they are like,reliability and so on??has anybody had anything to do with them??cheers

70k is a lot of money for a mondeo, have a good think about it first

Comment

The thing i know to look for are, water pump impeller giving up and causing head gasket failure, if the head gasket is gone its a shit job, if not replace the water pump straight away with a pattern part with a metal impeller, and inlet manifold runner control buggering up, usually due to wear in the in let runner shaft wearing and sticking that then causes the motor to go,you should easily notice this as the flaps open at 4k and it'll feel flat over this if its not working.
          Also, as long as it is an st24 and not a 200, the wish bone bushes are the same as all the other mondeos and can be replaced, the st200 are different and need to have the whole wishbone replaced and only are available from fords so are expensive.
          Rear brake calipers stick, and the clutch isn't the easiest to replace either.
          They are lovely cars to drive though, handle really well, and as long as the head gasket is OK they are well worth the little money the make now days.

sigpic

Comment

P.S the water punp is **** easy to do as it is at the back if the head closest to the front panel running off its own little belt, it can be changed in about 15 mins.

sigpic

Comment

Had an R plate RSAP back in 2003 ish, as above mine had been traded in with suspect head gasket failure, i bought it from a ford main dealer for peanuts, replaced water pump for new metal replacement and used the car for about 10k miles trouble free
              Part of the Java Green club

Comment

cheers for all ur comments,sorry its £800 not 70k,bin a great help.if i get it will do water pump then just in case.cheers

Comment

Cant go wrong at that price mate.

Had mine on the limiter in 5th gear, indicated 145mph on a private test track of course
                  Part of the Java Green club

Comment

Originally posted by GraemeJ View Post
                    Cant go wrong at that price mate.

Had mine on the limiter in 5th gear, indicated 145mph on a private test track of course
                    the M6 toll road doesn`t count as a private test track

Comment

Working...
                    X