end of a legend.................

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• end of a legend.................

R.I.P. ole friend, have appreciated your illumination via my lead light over the years

It is light, bright and has been around for 120 years. But from Tuesday the 100 watt bulb bows out from Britain.
    Under new EU rules the manufacture and import of 100 watt bulbs and all frosted bulbs will be banned in favour of the energy-saving variety.
    According to the Energy Saving Trust, compact fluorescent lamps (energy-saving bulbs) use 80% less electricity than standard bulbs.
    They could also save the average household £590 in energy over their lifetime of between eight and 10 years, and if all traditional bulbs were replaced, the carbon saving would be the equivalent of taking 70,000 cars off the road.
    Good reasons. But while cutting carbon and cheaper bills might entice many, others are less happy.
    Commonplace complaints about the new bulbs include they take too long to warm up, they are ugly, they give off poor light and they contain mercury - making them potentially hazardous and hard to get rid of.

cheeRS
    sigpic

you bored then
    Difficult roads often lead to beautiful places

Comment

I thought you were stopping going to the pub

Bill

Comment

just thought i would enLIGHTEN you with some latest EU policies,

cheeRS
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by graham John View Post
          R.I.P. ole friend, have appreciated your illumination via my lead light over the years

It is light, bright and has been around for 120 years. But from Tuesday the 100 watt bulb bows out from Britain.
          Under new EU rules the manufacture and import of 100 watt bulbs and all frosted bulbs will be banned in favour of the energy-saving variety.
          According to the Energy Saving Trust, compact fluorescent lamps (energy-saving bulbs) use 80% less electricity than standard bulbs.
          They could also save the average household £590 in energy over their lifetime of between eight and 10 years, and if all traditional bulbs were replaced, the carbon saving would be the equivalent of taking 70,000 cars off the road.
          Good reasons. But while cutting carbon and cheaper bills might entice many, others are less happy.
          Commonplace complaints about the new bulbs include they take too long to warm up, they are ugly, they give off poor light and they contain mercury - making them potentially hazardous and hard to get rid of.

cheeRS
          So being around for 120 years makes them no good does it?............some of the best ideas are the old ones. A marvelous simple idea that has been around for yours that works so well, easy to produce, works really well and easy to dispose of.

Where is all this mercury going to end up, probably people will just chuck them in the bins, how good is that for the invironment?..........it's putting dangerous toxins into the hands of every idiot! There is also concern that our eyesight will deteriorate with this new lighting and that some people will have adverse affects/reactions with these lights.

The public being told what to do again and all in the aid of being green!

Comment

lighten up guys he is only passing on some light information

Comment

i'm taking a very dim view of things

Nutty Professor

Comment

WATT !

cheeRS
                sigpic

Comment

r.i.p old friend

gonna plant mine in the garden ,hopefully more will come up in the spring
                  sigpic

Comment

i may have a go at wiring up a few to get them glowing brighter

this bloke got the right idea ......................

Comment

Originally posted by modena green View Post
                      gonna plant mine in the garden ,hopefully more will come up in the spring

remember to water them LIGHTly

cheeRS
                      sigpic

Comment

things will never be the same.............

cheeRS
                        sigpic

Comment

Saw the thread title and thought it was about AndyC
                          sigpic

Comment

I can see you guys are in your element. Glad to see you're not incandescent with rage at the passing of the old fellahs.

Comment

Originally posted by RUDDY View Post
                              Saw the thread title and thought it was about AndyC

funny you should say that....................

cheeRS
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X