X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welsh rallye hit by axed grant

Rally threat after £2m grant axed

Ministers had signed a deal to back the rally until 2011

The future of this year's Wales GB Rally is in doubt after the assembly government withdrew £2.2m a year funding. Organisers say they were "shocked and disappointed" at the move, despite a contract to back the event until 2011.
    International Motor Sports Ltd (IMS) plans to sue for breach of contract.
    The assembly government said the 2010 rally without world rally championship qualifying status was "not the type of event" it had agreed to sponsor.
    In a statement, IMS said the 2009 rally was now "under threat".
    It said: "This unprecedented action towards WRGB by the Welsh Assembly Government has been instigated without any prior notice or consultation.
    In fact the Deputy First Minister, Ieuan Wyn Jones, himself noted the importance of the event in 2007

IMS chief executive Andrew Coe

"It is in breach of the existing contract between IMS and the Welsh Assembly Government that was signed on 30th March 2006 for the period up to and including the 2011 Rally.
    IMS chief executive Andrew Coe said: "Our preparations for October's Wales Rally GB are progressing well, with the event scheduled to be launched to the media and public by the end of April.
    "Therefore we are shocked and disappointed that the Welsh Assembly Government has taken this position, without even any prior notice or discussions between us, particularly as there is a firm and binding contract in place until 2011.
    Mr Coe said the event had met "and in many cases exceeded" performance indicators laid down by the assembly government under the terms of the deal.
    He said the rally, which has several stages across south and mid Wales, was looking forward to continuing its "extremely positive relationship" with the team at the assembly government.

Please turn on JavaScript. Media requires JavaScript to play.

The assembly government has said it will withdraw £2m from the Wales GB Rally

"In fact the Deputy First Minister, Ieuan Wyn Jones, himself noted the importance of the event in 2007 when he said 'The event ensures a high profile for our country and helps drive forward continued growth of our automotive sector,'" said Mr Coe.
    According to a cabinet paper from last October, assembly government support for the Wales Rally GB is £2.2m for each of the three financial years from 2008-2009, with funding from the department for economy's budget.
    An assembly government spokesman said: "Wales Rally GB was intended to have World Rally Championship qualifying status each and every year.
    "But as a result of a Federation International de l'Automobile decision this is no longer going to be the position.
    "In particular, the 2010 event is not going to have qualifying status and as such is not the type of event which it was agreed that the Welsh Assembly Government would sponsor."
    But Conservative heritage spokesman Alun Cairns AM said the decision undermined the assembly government's commitment to attracting major sporting events to Wales.
    "Only yesterday ministers were talking up the importance of the Ryder Cup to the Welsh economy and to tourism," he said.
    "Twenty four hours later those same ministers pulled the plug on £2m in funding for an equally prestigious event which Wales has hosted with distinction for many years."
    A Cardiff Council spokesman said if true the council was "both surprised and disappointed" as the rally is a "major economic vehicle for both Cardiff and Wales".
    The rally has several stages across south and mid Wales

"We understand the assembly government and IMS had entered into a contract which runs until 2011 and we will work with both organisations to try and ensure this successful event continues in Cardiff and Wales until, at least, that date," said the spokesman.
    Liberal Democrat economic development spokeswoman Jenny Randerson AM said if Wales Rally GB were right they had a contract until 2011 then the decision was "truly astonishing".
    "If legal action is successful, then it will end up costing the taxpayer and the stretched public purse even more than it would have done by continuing the funding," she said.
    Former Welsh Secretary Peter Hain, a keen motor sport fan, said he was "horrified" and said the funding had a multiplier effect which was worth five times more in spending on the local economy.
    He urged a rethink and said he was writing to First Minister Rhodri Morgan.
    Last December, a report to ministers warned Wales had to "raise its game" if it was to become a serious player in the global market for major events.
    The news comes a day after the assembly government decided to relinquish one of its two hospitality boxes at the Millennium Stadium when the current contracts expire later this year.
    The boxes, which are located in prime position on the halfway line in the stadium were inherited by the assembly government following the 2006 merger with the Welsh Development Agency and the Wales Tourist Board, who used the boxes to entertain potential investors.
    Since February 2007, they have been used for the twin purpose of entertaining key potential business investors in Wales, but also to reward and recognise those who have given outstanding service to the community.
    According to the assembly government, the two boxes have, over the past five years played a part in generating about 1,500 new jobs promised by inward investors, many of them being high value jobs paying high value salaries.
    Difficult roads often lead to beautiful places

What ever next????

Comment

good,pinning the rally to south wales has killed this once great event,lets hope the rally now moves about abit more with different stages being used

Comment

Rally GB

I agree Tim,lets get back to a proper rally ,one that covers more of GB.Like Yorkshire and Cumbria !

Comment

have heard that Newcastle maybe used as a base for the stages of Kielder and the Borders

Comment

Originally posted by Tim View Post
            good,pinning the rally to south wales has killed this once great event,lets hope the rally now moves about abit more with different stages being used
            Well said that man!!! We used to follow it every year for 15 years without fail and for the then full 5 days Before it turned into the farce it is today, Dont get me wrong Theres some cracking stages in South wales and had some great times there , But bring back the Sunday stately homes and race tracks (mickey mouse yes but great for the once a year rally fans) keilder and the lakes again with WRC cars cant see it happening but we can live in hope
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by paul mex View Post
              Well said that man!!! We used to follow it every year for 15 years without fail and for the then full 5 days Before it turned into the farce it is today, Dont get me wrong Theres some cracking stages in South wales and had some great times there , But bring back the Sunday stately homes and race tracks (mickey mouse yes but great for the once a year rally fans) keilder and the lakes again with WRC cars cant see it happening but we can live in hope
              Tim & Paul totally agree with you my feelings as well, we will never get back to the old days however why not have it based mid UK ,remember "it started from York"
              Even if alternate years it moved between wales,Scotland,Yorkshire,Cumbria,it used to use all of them on the same Rally so there are no excuses for Organisation issues ,just the tree huggers and Suits that will find problems.
              sigpic

Comment

the welsh assemberly was only a sponsor like Lombard,network Q etc were and had the added bonus of offering service area.
                If a title sponsor was found (hard i know at these tough times) i would of thought most big citys would want to host a big sporting event to bring money into the local area.
                Just a shame the FIA have such tight guide lines to how the event can run.

LONG LIVE THE ROGER ALBERT CLARK RALLY

Comment

I think the comments on here are a little premature, and there is a lot of speculation at the moment

An assembly government spokesman said: "Wales Rally GB was intended to have World Rally Championship qualifying status each and every year.
                  "But as a result of a Federation International de l'Automobile decision this is no longer going to be the position.
                  "In particular, the 2010 event is not going to have qualifying status and as such is not the type of event which it was agreed that the Welsh Assembly Government would sponsor."
                  But Conservative heritage spokesman Alun Cairns AM said the decision undermined the assembly government's commitment to attracting major sporting events to Wales.
                  "Only yesterday ministers were talking up the importance of the Ryder Cup to the Welsh economy and to tourism," he said.
                  "Twenty four hours later those same ministers pulled the plug on £2m in funding for an equally prestigious event which Wales has hosted with distinction for many years."
                  A Cardiff Council spokesman said if true the council was "both surprised and disappointed" as the rally is a "major economic vehicle for both Cardiff and Wales".

The rally has several stages across south and mid Wales

"We understand the assembly government and IMS had entered into a contract which runs until 2011 and we will work with both organisations to try and ensure this successful event continues in Cardiff and Wales until, at least, that date," said the spokesman.
                  Liberal Democrat economic development spokeswoman Jenny Randerson AM said if Wales Rally GB were right they had a contract until 2011 then the decision was "truly astonishing".
                  "If legal action is successful, then it will end up costing the taxpayer and the stretched public purse even more than it would have done by continuing the funding," she said.
                  Former Welsh Secretary Peter Hain, a keen motor sport fan, said he was "horrified" and said the funding had a multiplier effect which was worth five times more in spending on the local economy.

The local Welsh news is saying that the 2009 event will be run because it has WRC status, however it is the 2010 event that is in jeopardy due to possibly not having WRC status, however there is speculation that Wales Rally GB WILL have WRC status and be included in the 2010 WRC, and if this is the case, the sponsorship is likely to remain.

BTW, expect Epynt's Tarmac to feature heavilly for 2009

cheeRS
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by graham John View Post
                    BTW, expect Epynt's Tarmac to feature heavilly for 2009

cheeRS
                    1 day isnt heavilly

Comment

Originally posted by Tim View Post
                      1 day isnt heavilly
                      it's one day more than there has been for a long time and when the ratio of (reletivly cheap ) tarmac mileage v gravel (expensive Forestry commission roads) is announced it may well be a bit more than heavilly

cheeRS
                      Last edited by graham John; 17-04-2009, 15:27.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skids View Post
                        Tim & Paul totally agree with you my feelings as well, we will never get back to the old days however why not have it based mid UK ,remember "it started from York"
                        Even if alternate years it moved between wales,Scotland,Yorkshire,Cumbria,it used to use all of them on the same Rally so there are no excuses for Organisation issues ,just the tree huggers and Suits that will find problems.
                        Don't you mean "From Harrogate it started". Whilst the event has been based in York itself 6 times it is the 1971 event that is remembered, through the Barry Hinchcliffe film, for a very snowy event won by Blomqvist in his SAAB 96. Of course it was the following year that Clark won it in LVX.

I particularly remember 76 when it was based in Bath and Waldegaard spent most of the event without the back end on his Stratos until the police took exception.

Used to spend the time living out of the back of the car and driving all over the country to watch the top boys compete - this welsh 12 car we now have is an absolute travesty of an event.
                        Richard
                        sigpic

Comment

Rally GB

Stopped going there two years ago..its crap now...even the coverage concentrates more on the visiting "celeb" than on the rallying....

I am sooo looking forward to following the Roger Albert in my new car......

Russ.
                          [/quote]

Comment

Originally posted by Rallyman72 View Post
                            Don't you mean "From Harrogate it started". Whilst the event has been based in York itself 6 times it is the 1971 event that is remembered, through the Barry Hinchcliffe film, for a very snowy event won by Blomqvist in his SAAB 96. Of course it was the following year that Clark won it in LVX.

I particularly remember 76 when it was based in Bath and Waldegaard spent most of the event without the back end on his Stratos until the police took exception.

Used to spend the time living out of the back of the car and driving all over the country to watch the top boys compete - this welsh 12 car we now have is an absolute travesty of an event.
                            I stand corrected ,you are right ,they are not far apart though are they
                            I had my Yorkie head on as York is just down't road from where I live ,
                            I too remember the RAC's of the 70's got out of school early one afternoon as the full field drove through the little town where I live on their way up to the Yorkshire Forests ,Mikkola and the like throwing advertising stickers out of the window for us as they drove past ,wish I still had them,but stuck them all over my school books.
                            sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X