• Time
  • Show
Clear All

respect to all nice touch dave
    sigpic

www.oscars.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by fox2fox View Post
      i take my hat off to them,past and present, RESPECT TO YOU ALL!!!!!taff or andy c is there a website for this sort of thing do you know about??? reguarding the history of the poppy and the reasons behind it? my daughter is doing a project about it at her school and she wants to learn and read about it,cheers lads..

My cars in the VbGarage

Comment

Originally posted by fox2fox View Post
        i take my hat off to them,past and present, RESPECT TO YOU ALL!!!!!taff or andy c is there a website for this sort of thing do you know about??? reguarding the history of the poppy and the reasons behind it? my daughter is doing a project about it at her school and she wants to learn and read about it,cheers lads..
        here you go mate
        Difficult roads often lead to beautiful places

Comment

Free entry to the Bovington Tank Museum tomorrow and a number of special events/remembrance activities there, some aimed at children, as it's the nearest weekend to 11/11.

As for TV feature programmes with celebs searching the history of relatives who fought in WW1, I have a bit of a problem with it. If these "celebs" are really so interested in their relatives war record, surely they would have done something about it before now? Are they just cashing in on another opportunity to promote flagging careers? The similar programmes featuring ordinary people are more convincing but still leave some concern as to why these people are suddenly emotional now about long lost relatives. I'm afraid I get the urge to slap some of them round the head for showing all this emotion on TV when they clearly have made no attempt themselves previously to seek out what happened to their grand fathers etc. and had been totally immersed in their own vacuous lives.
          From as young an age as I have any memory of, I was made aware a relative had been ground crew to the famous Cdr Samson of the RNAS during his attacks on air ships.
          Incidently, Tony Pond used to stay on in Ypres after the rally to visit WW1 battlefields.

Comment

one thing you all should do if you ever get the chance is go over to france, belgium,holland and germany to visit all the places where all these heroes are laid to rest, fields and fields and fields of gravestones each one kept in tip top condition all year round, only then can you get the full scale of what happened many years ago, i'm quite lucky in my job because we often go over for maybe a week at a time to visit all the famous areas where all these things happened, there are many organised coach tour companies you can go with to visit these areas, it is well worth it if you have never been, a few pics from t my last trip, all centrered around "OP MARKET GARDEN"...............................

Comment

Been to Passchendaele, Hill 60 etc a few times now, unbelievable what those guys went through (especially the guys in the tunnels) The book "The underground war" is an eye opening read. The Last post is played every night under the Menen gate in Leper (Ypres).... Very moving
              sigpic

Comment

Richyc and me have done the Normandy beaches, Pegasus Bridge and few others on trips back from Le Mans back in '95 '96

Comment

Originally posted by taffr View Post

one thing you all should do if you ever get the chance is go over to france, belgium,holland and germany to visit all the places where all these heroes are laid to rest, fields and fields and fields of gravestones each one kept in tip top condition all year round, only then can you get the full scale of what happened many years ago, i'm quite lucky in my job because we often go over for maybe a week at a time to visit all the famous areas where all these things happened, there are many organised coach tour companies you can go with to visit these areas, it is well worth it if you have never been, a few pics from t my last trip, all centrered around "OP MARKET GARDEN"...............................
                  true courage!!!!!!!!!!!!. its funny how our so called government can find the money to bale out our excessive banks,but fail to properly equip our armed forces in their wars My boy is really enjoying the army cadets at the mo,
                  and ive promised him a trip to normandy and holland so any advice really appreciated mr taff.
                  Last edited by RS2000CUSTOM; 07-11-2008, 20:39.
                  we,re here for a good time-not for a long time!

Comment

whilst we may laugh at Blackadder 4 and the antics, i thought Rowan and Richard Curtis / Ben Elton caught the futility and senslesness of such wars perfectly.

Watch it again (Black adder goes fourth, Goodbyeee) and wonder if lessons have been learnt, and i defy you not to have a lump in your throat at the very end of the final series when they go over the top, and no- mans land turns into a field of poppies.

we should never forget any of our servicemen, regardless of the campaign.

respect

cheeRS
                    sigpic

Comment

ch5 NOW

Op Market Garden
                      cheeRS

DAVE

Comment

Originally posted by graham John View Post

Watch it again (Black adder goes fourth, Goodbyeee) and wonder if lessons have been learnt, and i defy you not to have a lump in your throat at the very end of the final series when they go over the top, and no- mans land turns into a field of poppies.

we should never forget any of our servicemen, regardless of the campaign.

respect

cheeRS
                        All in order

Part 1

Enjoy the videos and music that you love, upload original content and share it all with friends, family and the world on YouTube.

Part 2

Enjoy the videos and music that you love, upload original content and share it all with friends, family and the world on YouTube.

Part 3

Part 4

cheeRS

DAVE

Comment

It's this time of year I think about my Uncle Stewart. I only knew him when I was little in the 60's. He had this funny little blue car he used to drive which looked different and sounded funny compared to all the other cars on the road. He used to drive through a narrow gate and park it in his back garden.

I asked mum one day why he had this car, and her answer was because he had no legs dear, and this was a special invalid car for him to get around.

Apparently he served in the army at Dunkirk during the war. On one occaision he had been working through several days without any sleep, and in charge of several soldiers, he fell asleep while riding his bike, which resulted in him falling off and bashing his legs. He could not report this, as he would have faced disipliniary action being in charge of the men at that time.

Eventually Gangerine set in to his legs and he had to have them both amputated. I remember him as a decent man and and wonderful craftsman who's job was building the Welsh Bardik Chairs. He was never intitled to any compensation as he never reported his accident. It eventually cost him his life when he died in the 1960's at the age of 38, leaving a dear wife and 3 young sons.

Lets not forget all who have suffered in the wars, past and present!

Tim.

Comment

On the Classic Ford Tour one year, we called to Ypres on the way to our destination. Loads of history, but not enough time. After out tour of Belgium, some of us called to Dunkerque on the journey home. Very humbling.

Ypres:

Last edited by Aled; 08-11-2008, 04:56.

My cars in the VbGarage

Comment

Originally posted by alminera View Post
                              On the Classic Ford Tour one year, we called to Ypres on the way to our destination. Loads of history, but not enough time. After out tour of Belgium, some of us called to Dunkerque on the journey home. Very humbling.

Ypres:

Sorry got the wrong one, should have been Dunkerque and not Dunkirk. Thanks Aled.

Comment

Total respect to past and present.
                                There was a knock on the door one evening this week. I opened it to find an old soldier in his 90's, being wheeled around in his wheelchair, wearing his beret and medals, selling poppies, as people answered the door, he got out and stood up to greet the people answering the doors. When I answered mine, I filled up, shaking his hand, haven't done that in a long time.

This is why I like Iron Maiden, they do "real" songs and are very patriotic.

[youtube]TuIOfc7rITY[/youtube]

Comment

Working...
                                X