Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• garage building:- ideas

hi guys im looking for some ideas.
    myself and a couple of joiner mates will be building a garage beside my house soon so i can work on and store the mex and im wondering if theres any way of making it more mex friendly and if you guys have any suggestions as to what i can do with it to help preserve the car, ventalation, lighting, storage and paints etc.

ive never had my own garage so do i make it a sealed warm place with loads of insulation or do i have plenty of ventalation to let air in?????
    its going to be block/frame built with a smooth concrete floor, 4 skylights for light ( no side windows in the sides ), 1 garage door, 1 walk in door and im hoping that i can make the roof high enough that i can have a floored storage area in one end of the roof/rafters.

we do have a budget so nothing expensive!!

please let me know whats best and if you could pics of what you mean would be ideal too.

thanks
    david
    cheeRS

we've put in electric underfloor heating from screwfix, not to expensive to fit/ run,

Decra do tin sheet roofing system that look like tiles, strong & light, (see Mcdonalds roofs for an idea)

fit as much insulation as you can, Celotex or simular.
    AKA The Dipstick

Comment

why not build in a pit so you can work on the under-side of the mex

my_car_in_the_vBGarage

Comment

Originally posted by RS2kSX View Post
        we've put in electric underfloor heating from screwfix, not to expensive to fit/ run,

Decra do tin sheet roofing system that look like tiles, strong & light, (see Mcdonalds roofs for an idea)

fit as much insulation as you can, Celotex or simular.
        i have to tile the roof the same as the house, its in the building regs.

im hopfully going to insulate the walls and roof and then maybe plaster board the whole lot, id love to fit some sort of under floor heating but i dont think i can stretch to that

Originally posted by hotrs2000 View Post
        why not build in a pit so you can work on the under-side of the mex
        i would love a pit it would be very handy but i have a big river along side our garden and i think it would flood or not be safe.
        cheeRS

Comment

you can have a pit as you dig the hole tank it then block on flat then water proof the out of the block plenty of lights and sockets needed never have to many or way up the price and get a small 2/4 poster secound hand from ebay instead of pit nothing worse than lying on ya back in the cold winters build outer skin with 4in block then dry line the inside insolate the plaster board and as its a garage trapper edged board and tap the joints iave just finished one at home
          Difficult roads often lead to beautiful places

Comment

Think you can come and build me a garage andy.
            SOONER HAVE A BOTTLE IN FRONT OF ME,THAN A FRONTAL LABOTOMY

Comment

Plenty of lights and sockets. Fit fluorescent lights at waist height also around the garage if you can (a mate did this and he can work inside his car without any handheld lamps )
              Cheers

Comment

I've put flourescent lights on each side wall at ankle height, now when I'm under the car I rarely need the lead lamp

Comment

that does look nice

Comment

Originally posted by Andyc View Post
                    plenty of lights and sockets needed never have to many or way up the price and get a small 2/4 poster secound hand from ebay instead of pit nothing worse than lying on ya back in the cold winters build outer skin with 4in block then dry line the inside insolate the plaster board and as its a garage trapper edged board and tap the joints iave just finished one at home
                    sounds really good do you have any pics???

Originally posted by smoov View Post
                    Plenty of lights and sockets. Fit fluorescent lights at waist height also around the garage if you can (a mate did this and he can work inside his car without any handheld lamps )
                    Originally posted by plentysideways View Post
                    I've put flourescent lights on each side wall at ankle height, now when I'm under the car I rarely need the lead lamp
                    i was talking to fiona about this tonight shes going to speak to some one at her work to see what we (i) need
                    cheeRS

Comment

Plenty of sockets, good lighting ,kettle, fridge for the beer, air conditioning, descent work bench, and plenty of room for your storage in the roof space sounds a great idea.
                      Sound proofing is great if you like your neighbours otherwise plenty of windows to let the noise of angle grinders air chisels etc- keeps them on their toes!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by jimmer View Post
                        Plenty of sockets, good lighting ,kettle, fridge for the beer, air conditioning, descent work bench, and plenty of room for your storage in the roof space sounds a great idea.
                        Sound proofing is great if you like your neighbours otherwise plenty of windows to let the noise of angle grinders air chisels etc- keeps them on their toes!!!!
                        sounds good!! appart from the air con, its cold enough here already!!
                        cheeRS

Comment

Working...
                        X