SORN Help needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SORN Help needed

I have a Ttriumph Stag and it was sorned last year and put in a lockup. I got itbrought over to my house and put in the driveway. My mate then refitted the engine but couldnt get it started so we put it round the corner in a parking bay and covered it up.

I think one of myu tosser neighbours reported me to DVLA as I just received a DVLA notice demanding £396 as it was being kept/used on apublic road whilst on SORN.

Can I fight it as it was in a parking bay, covered and not running? Would the police have had to report it or would DVLA act on the snitch?

Car only fired up the other day and we were going to put it in the driveway again to finish it off before MOT'ing. I ALWAYS SORN my cars, never use them on the roads and I Am really ****ed off with this....

Any advice please???

If it's in a public car park (IE not gated and/or is lit by street lighting or NOT off of an un-named road that is off a normal road) then it needs to be taxed
    Been done meself on my housing estate, there are certain carparks they can't touch IE the one that's off an un-named road and had NO streetlighting (street lighting is paid for by public money and that makes the area lit by it public).
    According to Enfield Council N London
    They do act if your grassed up but ask for proof like a pic of it with the reg plate in the picture, if they don't have one tell em to prove it was there (the usually come out and take a pic but you may get lucky.

Comment

no xmas card for them this years then

put a pick up on here of where its parked - there must be so many different scenarios of what you mean by parking bay ? a difficult one this

lots of areas around me that are not technically roads, but are car parking areas with allocated house numbers - is that what this is ?

Comment

I took the DVLA wording to cover me so I will be appealing against the fine....the wording goes '
        If you see a vehicle on the public road (car parks, driveways or housing association parking spaces don’t apply) with an out of date tax disc, you can report it online, by telephone or by post. You don’t have to give your name. Your report will be investigated and enforcement action taken, if needed.'

Comment

good luck with the appeal.... i hope you find the t###er that shopped ya

Comment

reckon I know who it is...but proving it will be impossible...especially when the DVLA let you 'report a vehicle online'...means you dont have to supply any details..completely anonymous!!..fine if someone is a consistant offender but I am meticulous about SORNing my three old cars....and having them MOTd, insured and Taxed

Comment

Originally posted by MalcolmRs2000 View Post
              reckon I know who it is...but proving it will be impossible...especially when the DVLA let you 'report a vehicle online'...means you dont have to supply any details..completely anonymous!!..fine if someone is a consistant offender but I am meticulous about SORNing my three old cars....and having them MOTd, insured and Taxed
              if it goes to court the complaintive must appear with photographic evidence

the only thing there is if you go it could be costly but it will make your neighbour get a wee bit worried!!!!
              www.tpsweldtech.com

Comment

There is something distasteful about a society that has to rely on snitchers to ensure the public abide by the rules of this kind. This is really unfair and unfortunate for you, as you have made efforts to sorn your cars. While I don't condone people breaking the law, I think many a time innocent people are caught out with some of these over the top ideas. There is little consideration for error these days.

Good luck with fighting this.

Comment

Although I am not by any means a Lawyer, I did many years ago study highway law and was a Rights of Way officer for a 4x4 club and sat on two councils Rights of Way committees, so here goes.....
                  Basically a highway is a road maintainable at public expense. The highway authority will be either the County Council if there is one or the local council if it is a Unitary Authority. They are required to keep maps and a register of all the publically maintainable highways in their area. These are public acces documents which you have a right to see by visiting the relevant office or requesting the information you require in writing. There are also Rights of Way (footpaths, bridleways and byways) over which the public have a right to pass, some byways have vehicular rights so by definition a vehicle used on a byway requires a valid tax disc.
                  If you can show that the parking space is not part of a publically maintainable highway then there should be no requirement for the vehicle to be taxed.

Comment

Originally posted by 1558 View Post
                    Although I am not by any means a Lawyer, I did many years ago study highway law and was a Rights of Way officer for a 4x4 club and sat on two councils Rights of Way committees, so here goes.....
                    Basically a highway is a road maintainable at public expense. The highway authority will be either the County Council if there is one or the local council if it is a Unitary Authority. They are required to keep maps and a register of all the publically maintainable highways in their area. These are public acces documents which you have a right to see by visiting the relevant office or requesting the information you require in writing. There are also Rights of Way (footpaths, bridleways and byways) over which the public have a right to pass, some byways have vehicular rights so by definition a vehicle used on a byway requires a valid tax disc.
                    If you can show that the parking space is not part of a publically maintainable highway then there should be no requirement for the vehicle to be taxed.

oh man i must be thick i understood sod all of that

Comment

Cheers everyone for all the advice. I have spoken to a friend in the police and he said to appeal it as the car was in a parking bay. 1558's comments are good as I suspect the local council do not maintain the roads on our estate but I will be checking that out.........

Comment

Working...
                      X