woops, broke it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• woops, broke it

not too sure what wrong yet, after a very gentle drive home from beds meet tonight car ran very well untill i stopped at motorway exit for a quick chat with fellow carfull drivers.
    car sounds like ring gear is very loose and starter just spins with an accompanying 'ting'.

after a little push from above friend car starts and drives fine, gears ok, clutch ok....

gearbox is very noisy in 5th so guess i have to strip down to change & repair now...
    AKA The Dipstick

.................................................. . but dont ya just love 'em

good luck

Comment

Is the rear seal leaking ? if it is it emptys 5th gear first as it's at the back
      clump the solenoid with some wooden object it may be stuck

Comment

sounds like somthing loose when you try to start it, gotta pull it ou anyway. just as well got a gearbox from Uxbridge show on sunday
        AKA The Dipstick

Comment

yes, rear seal is weeping a bit, was quite a bit but only a little now (probably empty)
          AKA The Dipstick

Comment

bummer that

Comment

not good, hope you sort it soon
              MK2 member 091, RSOC member 2675, RS18 No 001, HRE7724 /50

My Car in the VbGarage and in My Album

Comment

May get chanct to look at it later, other helf just said what else do you expect with bloody old cars.....

very understanding woman
                AKA The Dipstick

Comment

Hope you get it sorted mate......Uxbridge Show put a curse on us two me thinks

my_car_in_the_vBGarage

Comment

opened up garage tonight, looked at it, it's still there, closed garage.....
                    AKA The Dipstick

Comment

i had a mk1 mex yonks ago, once when i started it up in a garage fourcourt, the starter ring jumped off the flywheel, so i drove straight home with a constant schwinging noise, i had it welded on after that.....LOL

Comment

ok, had starter motor off, slight marking to inner edge, ring gear sitting on bell housing no obviouse damage.

get it moved onto drive over this weekend and get enging droped and whip out g/box...

been advised not to re-fit old one
                        AKA The Dipstick

Comment

All done,
                          old box out,oh such an easy job.....
                          dropped cross member down to change and it was a lot easyer.
                          clutch off and cleaned, ring gear went on with pair of gripps....

now spot welded on both sides.

cleaned up replacment gearbox and fitted, rad flushed & re-fitted.

was too late to test (kids in bed)

will update tomorrow with pics if i can get em off phone.
                          AKA The Dipstick

Comment

Working...
                          X