im afraid to touch it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• im afraid to touch it

.....i want to get the mex resprayed but am afraid that if i start to strip it i will go down the road of a full resto....i would be getting the underside, exterior & engine bay done...thus leading to a sparkling finish with rough black finish underside (axle, springs etc) and an untidy looking rusty nuts etc engine bay....i dont want it to be a long term job at all and couldnt afford to pay somebody to do the whole job.....so were does it stop? any advice on this one guys

Aaron, dont want to put you off, but in my experience its never ending.. as you complete one bit, it leads onto the next. The you find something you had done 6 months ago isn,t up to the standard of the piece just completed. You look for detail, then when you achieve it, you go looking for more, . Thats all well and good if you want a show car. If you dont, stay well clear. Thats my advice anyway

Comment

I agree with Ian. You start off and you think it is ok,good, spot on and then your standards move on. Then that part is no were near. Did the under side of mine. Cleaned the tar off and cleaned it, was spot on. Now taken to bare metal knock any dent out (no matter the size) and there are still days i think it could be better. A classic i have had three set of door panels and still looking for a set with no holes in....But i think i may need to see a doctor OCD on my car... Hope this helps
      Andy

Comment

Originally posted by andym View Post
        I agree with Ian. You start off and you think it is ok,good, spot on and then your standards move on. Then that part is no were near. Did the under side of mine. Cleaned the tar off and cleaned it, was spot on. Now taken to bare metal knock any dent out (no matter the size) and there are still days i think it could be better. A classic i have had three set of door panels and still looking for a set with no holes in....But i think i may need to see a doctor OCD on my car... Hope this helps
        Andy, i saw a doctor and he said, "get rid" so i did

Comment

that dont really help me in anyway lads....the car will need doing at some pint & i dont want to wait til the day comes & ive to start replacing panels etc...the o/s q panel needs a small patch of welding just under the window rubber and there are some blisters here & there but nothing at all major...NOW... ....i think a good steam clean, repaint the car & underside & leave it be for now...tackle the engine at a later stage as i dont have to open the bonnet at any shows ....hide the dirt

Comment

ian i just wouldnt have the money you spent on the mega machine you built....top job & fair play for doing it....i enjoyed the resto tread on it...the car isnt that much of crowd pleaser but it makes me smile...

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron P. View Post
              ian i just wouldnt have the money you spent on the mega machine you built....top job & fair play for doing it....i enjoyed the resto tread on it...the car isnt that much of crowd pleaser but it makes me smile...
              Aaron, if i had your Mex at the mo, that would make me smile tooooooooooooooooo

Comment

Iain, I think i will go to the doctors.... Do the small jobs.. i thought my was going to be cheap, i didn't need anything...wrong. You will take the window out and weld and paint and then say it could do with a new rubber and glass is marked, i will just look for a replacement whilst it is out and that the paint is better on that panel, i will just spray the next panel to match... and so it starts....
                Andy

Comment

Better to do preventative work so the car doesn't suffer from rot down the road, but unless you find something structural, I'd just do the paint work, then get it back on the road and enjoy the car. Unless you want a show car (and I take my hat off to some phenomenal conc cars), I'd enjoy giving the car a good thrash! Laurie
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by yellowxpack View Post
                    Better to do preventative work so the car doesn't suffer from rot down the road, but unless you find something structural, I'd just do the paint work, then get it back on the road and enjoy the car. Unless you want a show car (and I take my hat off to some phenomenal conc cars), I'd enjoy giving the car a good thrash! Laurie
                    well i think i thrashed mine once, to get the CN,s to grip off the drive, the garage still smell of the damm thing. I think its haunting me

Comment

Originally posted by ian parker View Post
                      well i think i thrashed mine once, to get the CN,s to grip off the drive, the garage still smell of the damm thing. I think its haunting me
                      You need a nice red base model to enjoy, now get your wallet out son
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by RUDDY View Post
                        You need a nice red base model to enjoy, now get your wallet out son
                        you know my tel number Paul...

Comment

Give it a coat of paint and drive it.

Comment

i'm afraid to touch it......

that's what frosty's mrs says to him about his manky nob
                            Ex-Chairman of 'The Clique'

Comment

Sell it and buy a nicer one . Much easier , quicker and usually CHEAPER
                              sigpic 2.1 ATMO YB POWER .
                              Tick tock goes the clock and the clock don't lie .
                              12.4sec to 109mph With NO turbo , NO gay trailer , NO slicks , NO gas , NO race fuel and NO bits missing . Beat that !!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X