Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going to scrap an RS2, what now?

Hi,

a mate bought a Mk2 RS2000 from the UK in the early 90's. Brought the car over here, put it on Dutch plates for a while then used and abused it in motorsport. The shell is about to be scrapped as it is beyond repair but he still has the English V5 for it.
    I searched on the net (DVLA) and asked some normally reliable persons using this BB on how to make some money from the V5. I wanted to put the reg on retention (unknown overhere) as it is an interesting plate for Scooby-owners but since some time the DVLA wants to see the car before they agree to putting the plate on retention. And as a non-UK citizen I/he cannot apply for retention anyway.
    So, does anyone have an idea how we can get the reg on retention? Any help appreciated.

Thanks, Leon.

yes,let me have them for free!!!!!!!!
    sigpic

Comment

Thanks Eddie for your help!
      I will send it all to you, postage will be a couple of 100 £ though ...

Does the DVLA buy reg numbers or do they just sell the ones people send back to them?

Comment

for a reg to be put on retention, pretty sure the vehicle has to have a current ( or recently expired) tax disc, and current mot certificate.

see link......

Last edited by Mark M; 06-04-2008, 21:19.
        😯

Comment

Think you'll find once a car has been "disposed of" (scrapped) the vehicle registration is never used again. If you sell the no plate then it can be transferred but if you tell the DVLA that the car no longer exists before transferral it's not re-issued.

The DVLA only "sell" new plates AFAIK

Comment

Has the car been declared scrap? If so the plate is lost to DVLA, if the car is still registered it needs to be presented on a car for inspection(having a current mot). No body would know if it were the right car if the vin tag was changed at the same time, and the chassis stamp on the strut top was missing. Alot of work if the plates not worth much!
            sigpic

Comment

Working...
            X