Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Midland Wheels RS 7"

Has anyone bought a set of these?

I bought a set with nuts for the mk2 round about September and had 2 new Kumhos fitted and 2 Hankook I had.

I then stacked them properly in the garage and covered them up. Around Xmas time I put them on and ran the car along the street but there was a banging/clunking coming as I coasted along at about 5 miles an hour.

I took them off as I wasn't too bothered about messing about and stacked and covered them and put the Superlites back on.

I have now tried them again....2 at a time on the front (changing them over) after taking the MK2 for a run with the Superlites on (no problem with the Superlites). Still getting clunking/banging as if the tyres have flat spots or the wheels aren't true. I have even gone as far as putting my spare 6" RS on one side with the Midland wheel on the other (keeping the Superlites on teh rear) and still get the clunking.

To me it seems like a bad set of wheels but I am struggling to explain it.....

Anyone have any suggestions??

does it spin true when you jack it up and spin em?

are they fouling anything?

would take a fair whack to buckle one of them !!

gonna look for a set of these at donno on sunday so would like to find out whats wrong

Comment

Ive got a set and had the same problem...its the wheel nuts you get with them they are shite

They seem to big and will not fully tighten the wheel to the hub and if you start tightening them past where they're resisting it starts to grind away at the wheel .

Try them on with your original nuts and they should be fine
      sigpic

Comment

Malcolm,

I've got a set but not driven the car on them yet!

Run the car with only the Midlands on the back and see if it still happens!

Check your balance weights for any marking, as I suspect they may be hitting the calliper!

And by the way, 60mm replacement centres fit a treat!

Comment

gazw has put a set of ford centers on his wheels , here is a pic of one of them, hope you don't mind gaz

Comment

Yep shite nuts here too, straight in the bin they went. Absolute nightmare to get over the hub centres on the rears, even with plenty of grease.

Comment

So I need a set of flat non-tappered standard RS nuts?

Comment

Originally posted by MalcolmRs2000 View Post
                Has anyone bought a set of these?

I bought a set with nuts for the mk2 round about September and had 2 new Kumhos fitted and 2 Hankook I had.

I then stacked them properly in the garage and covered them up. Around Xmas time I put them on and ran the car along the street but there was a banging/clunking coming as I coasted along at about 5 miles an hour.

I took them off as I wasn't too bothered about messing about and stacked and covered them and put the Superlites back on.

I have now tried them again....2 at a time on the front (changing them over) after taking the MK2 for a run with the Superlites on (no problem with the Superlites). Still getting clunking/banging as if the tyres have flat spots or the wheels aren't true. I have even gone as far as putting my spare 6" RS on one side with the Midland wheel on the other (keeping the Superlites on teh rear) and still get the clunking.

To me it seems like a bad set of wheels but I am struggling to explain it.....

Anyone have any suggestions??

What about lead weights could they be catching?

Comment

Originally posted by thedman View Post
                  So I need a set of flat non-tappered standard RS nuts?
                  I would say so mate as when i put mine on using the standard nuts everything was perfect
                  sigpic

Comment

Sounds like the nuts may be the problem.....still to try that but will do so in the morning...and guess what....I also bought a set of nuts so I could use the wheels on my MK1!!....so they will be for the bin as well if thats the case.......

Really doing my 'nut' in..pardon the pun but couldn't understand why the Superlites were fine and new wheels and tyres were gubbed!!

Enough to drive a man to drink....

Shows the value of like minded people sharing thoughts/advice on the Web......cheeRS everyone!!!

Will post results tomorrow when I get the chance....

Comment

2 more questions...where do I get decent nuts and where do the 60mm centres come from?

Comment

2 more questions...where do I get decent nuts and where do the 60mm centres come from?

i got a set of nuts from rallyesportlondon, they are on ebay £30 ish

Comment

i found this problem when i put mine on, they were fine on back but the nuts wouldnt tighten on the front. i ground 3mm off with a fine blade and they are ok now. still got plenty of thread on them to tighten up. it saves buying new nuts.

Comment

Malky,

This is the guy I got them from!

He doesn't have any 60mm listed at the moment, but drop him a line!

They were £4.99

Comment

Cheers Thedman!!

Comment

Working...
                              X