TV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TV

We are in the process of buying a new tv for the living room, there seems to be so much choice, i bought WHICH mag yesterday, even more confused now !!. The new Panasonic seems a popular choice, any of you have recent experience good or bad or some advice on which to go for. I have an existing surround system which ive been assured will simply re-plug in via the scart. Would prefer Plasma, no more than 42" etc etc.

I have always bought Panasonic stuff but buy more and more Sony stuff as it seems often better. I've got a 7 year old 100Hz 28" tube Panasonic, and about a year ago I had to get it repaired, on the other hand I've got a Panasonic portable stereo (pre Cobra-Top) bought in 1989 and it still works fine.

If buying a TFT (which is the future) then obviously high contrast, low reaction time and high brightness value is what you're looking for.
    I wouldn't go for Plasma as it's high power consumption and after a while the pictures get "burned into" the screen like in the Atari days.

I would make sure it's HD ready too, I don't know if many programs are available in HD in the UK but it is the new high definition standard and will come in slowly even in the UK, not to forget a built in digital tuner.

If you do plump for a telly with HD usually the audio outputs aren't through the Scart anymore, but doubtless you'll be able to connect up to your system, best ask I suppose.

Comment

Had my panasonic plasma for 3 years, it broke once but i found the fault was a common one with early pannys and ordered the part

would deffo buy another, great picture quality

Nutty Professor

Comment

panasonic viera here too. very pleased with it.
        heres a site worth looking at , loads of info..........

😯

Comment

Would only recommend Panasonic or Pioneers.

I have had a Pioneer 43" Plasma for 3-4 years now and only had one fault that was with the controller software I discovered an issue when using the Xbox (first one) at Pal60 on scart, pioneer developed a patch for it and never had the problem again. I would have another Pioneer again.

I must say, alway keep HD in mind as many service will be changing to HD over the coming years as the old TV system get turned off.

never seen a LCD screen that can cutting against a plasma of any size.

I wouldn't go for Plasma as it's high power consumption and after a while the pictures get "burned into" the screen like in the Atari days
          Thats crap ! never seen burnin in my time with my Plasma, there is a period of run in time (just like an engine) where its best to run the first 100 hours on lower contast setting than you would normally use.

Ian if you need any help you have my number, been around home theater far to long for my bank manager to like (Topaz is the same I think), I was one of the first 20 people in the country to had what we call today Dolby Digital in the home back in late 1995, DVD was just being showcased to the trade at the time as a development case.
          Last edited by Guest; 24-07-2007, 11:25.

Comment

Originally posted by Kel View Post
            Thats crap ! never seen burnin in my time with my Plasma
            get out on the wrong side this morning did we?

I haven't been impressed by the sets I've seen, very pixelated and I'm not making anything up, it's a well known phenomenon.

Most of the large monitor/TV set manufacturers are running down production of Plasma sets as they are far more complex as power consuming than their thin film equivalents, that have the same performance.

Panasonic and Pioneer aren't the only providers of quality AV electronics and like I say I've had a couple of bad experiences with Panasonic, despite having bought their products year after year previously.

Comment

Originally posted by rwdrs View Post
              get out on the wrong side this morning did we?

I haven't been impressed by the sets I've seen, very pixelated and I'm not making anything up, it's a well known phenomenon.

Most of the large monitor/TV set manufacturers are running down production of Plasma sets as they are far more complex as power consuming than their thin film equivalents, that have the same performance.

Panasonic and Pioneer aren't the only providers of quality AV electronics and like I say I've had a couple of bad experiences with Panasonic, despite having bought their products year after year previously.
              oh dear, what have i started now could always go back to talking about conc....maybe not

Comment

thanks for the imput guys.

Comment

Originally posted by rwdrs View Post

Panasonic and Pioneer aren't the only providers of quality AV electronics
                  This is very true but there are only a handful of companies that make the glass panels that are used for plasma screens. its usally the driving electronics that let the panel down.

I had all the same concerns when buying my set but most of them have proved to be wrong going buy my set. I have never seen a LCD based screen they made think thats better than a plasma apart from an NEC 65" screen. personally I woundnt even think of a large format screen unless you are planning to have a video source that compliments it (720 Progressive or above).

Ian, the best test if your thinking of buying one is watch a football match where the team is in red that will really show up a crap setup by leaving ghosting behind and the red colour moves over the green. The next thing to look for is how black is black, panasonics are good at this but lake a little detail where a Pioneer is good at detail but lacks a true black leave compaired to the panasonic.

if you fancy spending a bit more on getting it right after a 100 hours of use get someone from a certified company to calibrate the screen. CEDIA companies are the ones to look for or anyone that is a THX certified installer (something I always wanted to go for)

talk to someone like http://www.musical-images.co.uk/home/default.asp I used these guy when I got my Meridian setup from.

I hope your not as fussy with A/V system as you were/are with Worthers
                  Last edited by Guest; 24-07-2007, 12:59.

Comment

I have a Panasonic 42" plasma viera screen (mine bought with no tuner, just panel monitor but running through sky), brilliant picture, no problems, hooked up to a Arcam AV amp with built in tuner, Arcam DVD player and full monitor audio radius speaker and sub package, trually awesome visuals and sound!

Hope this helps!

Daz

Comment

I have a sony Bravia and its great, if not I would have had the Panasonic, or the New Samsung the black framed ones are really nice picture too now and a damn sight cheaper than theothers, my 2 brothers have bought these Samsungs in the last couple of weeks

Comment

Originally posted by Kel View Post
                        This is very true but there are only a handful of companies that make the glass panels that are used for plasma screens. its usally the driving electronics that let the panel down.

I had all the same concerns when buying my set but most of them have proved to be wrong going buy my set. I have never seen a LCD based screen they made think thats better than a plasma apart from an NEC 65" screen. personally I woundnt even think of a large format screen unless you are planning to have a video source that compliments it (720 Progressive or above).

Ian, the best test if your thinking of buying one is watch a football match where the team is in red that will really show up a crap setup by leaving ghosting behind and the red colour moves over the green. The next thing to look for is how black is black, panasonics are good at this but lake a little detail where a Pioneer is good at detail but lacks a true black leave compaired to the panasonic.

if you fancy spending a bit more on getting it right after a 100 hours of use get someone from a certified company to calibrate the screen. CEDIA companies are the ones to look for or anyone that is a THX certified installer (something I always wanted to go for)

talk to someone like http://www.musical-images.co.uk/home/default.asp I used these guy when I got my Meridian setup from.

I hope your not as fussy with A/V system as you were/are with Worthers
                        Kel, i just want to watch Corri

Comment

Originally posted by ian parker View Post
                          Kel, i just want to watch Corri
                          never mind corrie, get in that garage with a can of this...

Nutty Professor

Comment

Originally posted by topaz View Post
                            never mind corrie, get in that garage with a can of this...

pmsl Not me Neil, i,ll send a case up to Tony at Moorlands

Comment

Originally posted by ian parker View Post
                              pmsl Not me Neil, i,ll send a case up to Tony at Moorlands
                              blank cheque

Nutty Professor

Comment

Working...
                              X