gutted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gutted

found out of thursday that it looks very likely that the company i work for (pratt and whitney) are going to be closing down their uk site, we have only been at the new site for 7 years, at a cost of 20 mil to build it and 20 mil to kit it out.
    We are in the 90 day consultation process but it looks that we down the pan, it is currentley costing them 130 us dollars an hr to run the place but we can only charge customers to repair or fix there engines about 75 dollars, so the £ to the $ is killing us. They can move the work else where in the world.
    Never been in this position before and shitting myself in finding another job on the sort of money i'm on now and the misses is only part time
    I even had a mk1 mex lined up but had to let that go and will maybe have to sell the 16i as well.

sorry to hear vinny,cant imagin wat ur goin through

Comment

sorry to hear that vin

hows the fence

Nutty Professor

Comment

Down the pan.

Sorry to hear this m8. I've been there in the past. If you can get a good redundancy package and walk into another job it could be a bonus for you.

CheeRS,

Joe.
        sigpic

Comment

Vin, will they not offer the old uns like you an early pension , always at the end of the phone mate and as I said to you earlier .........move North
          sigpic

Comment

bad news vin hope something pops up for you

Comment

Vin

I was on a nice little earner as Manager at a Rover dealer

2 1/2 years ago I got made redundant

Never since leaving school had I ever been on dole or without a job

I went out and set up on my own as you know

I still struggle to keep head above water but would think 3 times now before I get a "proper" job again

Move to the sunny midlands as I need a partner to open an MOT station
              cheeRS

DAVE

Comment

thats bad news, same thing happened to me back in 98, not a very good experience tho the pay off was good but thats not the point.

good luck m8
                MK2 member 091, RSOC member 2675, RS18 No 001, HRE7724 /50

My Car in the VbGarage and in My Album

Comment

Sorry to hear that mate
                  Isn't aerospace / civil aviation is on the boom though?
                  Surely there are still enough such companies like Rolls Royce or the like where you could find an alternative????
                  There's a fair few companies of that ilk in SW, Westlands (assuming they still exist) was taken over by GKN about 10 years back, RR at Filton etc etc.

Anyways hope you find something, but try to hold on to the mota mate don't give that up without a fight

Comment

hope things work out for you fella, im quite sure everything will work out, if i can do anything from my end i will, although our engine facility closed this year

pm me yer qualifications and skills and i can ask at least

Comment

thanks for all the replys lads, it has got me thinking though of a change of job and scenery - i see sellarfied has a load of engineering jobs going paul and the price of property is very favouable - would be allright for the lakes next year

Comment

Same thing happened to me vinny in 2000 ..got made redundant after being there for 14 years , redundancy package was quite good though and i walked straight into a better paid job , and prob was the best thing to happen although it didnt seem like it at the time.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by vinny View Post
                          thanks for all the replys lads, it has got me thinking though of a change of job and scenery - i see sellarfied has a load of engineering jobs going paul and the price of property is very favouable - would be allright for the lakes next year
                          be careful you'll be coming home like Homer with a test tube full of radioactive isotope 235 I shouldn't go bathing in the lakes up there either

You might start glowing afterwards

Comment

good luck Vin

keep ya chin high and it'll turn out ok mate

Comment

bad news mate,happend to me 11 years ago,the youngest was 2 weeks old aswell,went on to a shiter job with more money!
                              I can see me doing it again in the next 2 years or so
                              sigpic

Too old of a to be F**ked by kittens

RS MK2 CLUB NO/10

RSOC NO/22171

Comment

Working...
                              X