I'm Back... again!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm Back... again!

Well just got back from an amazing few days at the Nurbergring. What an amazing place that it, beautiful, peaceful German valleys tied with carnage death and destruction.

We arrived at the ring on Thursday and go to 'The Showboat' for some viewing, it was a manufacturers test day and 'secret' disguised cars such as mercedes and lexus's were on the track giving it death, literelly. There was a burnt out grass patch right in front of me that someone had crashed earlier in the day, sadly they lost their life and burnt to death right there.

Friday comes and we buy some tickets. We were in a Focus RS that my mate had bought only a few days previous, not only did he not know the new car, but he didnt know the 15 mile circuit nor had ever been on track before. We were noobs.

Time to set off, we put the ticket in the barrier and set off through the coned area, once through those it was foot to the floor time. A very scary lap, we saw cars coming up behind us half a mile away and we were giving way for anything and everything just trying to get round. First lap was very ropey and we managed to do a 11:35 bridge to gantry.

Time to go for a run and cool the car off, we had done 15 miles at 'kill your car' type driving style. We came back to the track, it was shut. When its shut you know something not right has happened. The recovery truck comes loaded with a few expensive but trashed Ducatis. 2 bikers dead.

Track opens! we are go again! we must be nuts. Better this time, just over 11 minutes. We are getting better, lol. Loads more left in the car. Time for food beer and euro trash music. We went with a group of around 40 people from Passionford so we take over a small german bar, pump up the music and talk bollocks.

Friday comes, **** me!!! busy busy!!! millions of people everywhere, roads full of every performance car you have ever seen, everything from Ferraris to pimped up mk1 Fiestas. I came to the conclusion that every BMW within 10 miles were M-powered. Got a few more laps in but its mega busy on the track, we learn more from the car. I am amazed at what a Focus RS handles like under stress. Best of the day was just under 11 minutes. 2 more bikers dead. (thats 5 now)

Saturday, we got talking to a few people and one offered to jump in the back to call out the bends, great idea we set a blistering lap of 9 minutes 36 seconds and this lap was the fastest we went on the weekend and breaking our target of going under the magical 10 mins. Mental note, learn this track on playstation before we go back. Car started to have temperature issues due to a leaking thermostat housing so we bodge it with radweld and off we go again (without the guy in the back) we were shit lol.

Too many people to get a table in a resturant (33 people walking round a sleepy german village) so we split up and go seperate ways. Someone bumps into Mike Rainbird and we book a table in his hotel for 17, excellent meal, steak on a sizzling stone that you cook in front of you (imagine health and safety in the UK?)

Sunday, off to the circuit and the road is blocked in front of us, I get out and spoke to a German, he puts his hand under his chin and waves it back and forth. ANOTHER dead biker, this time on the road 300 yards from the entrance. Helicopters, ambulances etc etc, pack him up, ship him out, its lapping time again!!! We go out after adjusting tyre pressures, car handles like crap and because we were timing again we were trying to beat our record, not a chance, we make a right hash of it and on the last bend the car drops to 2 cylinders we think its game over time.

Left the car running for 15 mins to try and get it cooled down, car is banging and farting, we take the **** and say its a new anti lag system. Fan goes off and we switch it off. Fired it up again and off she goes again. We learn its a safety thing and car drops to 2 cylinders to pump air into the engine, clever.

Next its time to go round the car museam, wow, just wow. millions upon millions of pounds worth of cars. Too much to mention here.

Back to track. I get a passenger ride in a tommi makk evo 6 and go under 9 mins, the Focus could easy go under 9 if we knew where we were going. There are many blind crests and with 150+ corners on the track you have no idea where it goes.

More nice steaks on sunday night, this time in Sabines place with a table booked for 30 plus another 12 blag it in. It was my mates birthday on the weekend and they got him a cake, the whole place sang him happy birthday, good times.

Monday, car still has issues, we call it a day and head for the boat a day early.

Definatly going back, this time we need something that keeps going and going and going. The cars that did this were mainly BMW's so I am on the lookout for a cheap M3 for sure.

Nutty Professor

Great report that! Must be one of the most readable long posts for a while - your enthusiasm is oozing out of the screen as I read it.

I have a mate who lives not far from the ring and used to take his racing Polo there every so often. Trouble is, you forget the circuit too easily. Nowadays, it's best to practice on the Play Station for a few weeks first.

Sad that death and wrecks are an integral part. Mostly not enough practice. Will lead to the ring being closed to the public sometime I'm sure.

Comment

Any pictures Neil?
      sigpic

Comment

good report neil, glad your home safe and sound m8, very sad about the deaths at the ring, glad you had fun and the food sounded lovely.

Comment

Focus RS .. .....
          sigpic

Comment

sounds like a wicked week mate , sorry to hear about the bikers

Comment

There were 4 bikers killed on our local Cumbrian roads over the Bank Holiday weekend .
              sigpic

Comment

great read neil, glad you had an interesting time, i take it the sapphire wouldnt of lasted, a demanding place

yeh shame about the fatilities
                MK2 member 091, RSOC member 2675, RS18 No 001, HRE7724 /50

My Car in the VbGarage and in My Album

Comment

Originally posted by JAVAGREENGUF View Post
                  Any pictures Neil?
                  here are the ones I took...

Nutty Professor

Comment

Brilliant write up neil...sounds like you had a cracking weekend

sad news about the bikers
                    sigpic

Comment

Great report Neil.
                      Just to echo the others on the sad deaths

Comment

nice one neil sounds like fun

Comment

Sounds like a great trip Neil. The deaths must be a bit odd at best though.
                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X