Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are your thoughts on re-shelling totalled RS cars then??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are your thoughts on re-shelling totalled RS cars then??

I mean if a Mk2 Mex or RS2 gets totally written off in a full body smash then is it a problem to rebuild it using a mint shell that you have laid about??

I went to look at a Roger Clark car in New Zealand and it had been resheeled into a 16 Sport body, and it was still for sale at £60,000.

The rally boys did it all the time, so is it acceptable?

Can anyone guess where this is going???

CheeRS
    RSOC # 15852

New Zealand RSOC Editor

Originally posted by BigDave View Post
    I mean if a Mk2 Mex or RS2 gets totally written off in a full body smash then is it a problem to rebuild it using a mint shell that you have laid about??

I went to look at a Roger Clark car in New Zealand and it had been resheeled into a 16 Sport body, and it was still for sale at £60,000.

The rally boys did it all the time, so is it acceptable?

Can anyone guess where this is going???

CheeRS
    Yeah

Comment

What have you gone & bought besides the Lancia????

More money, more toys, you win the lotto??? i think it becomes a problem when a car is being sold as the genuine article instead of telling the new owner it was a reshell....i know of a mexico (reshelled into a 1300xl shell i think) that sold recently & the new owner has no idea.....i think thats wrong even if the work is spot on

Comment

A shell is merely a "spare" part - no probs with a re-shell

What the main concern is, is the origin of the replacement shell

If someone uses a stolen shell/car and hides its identity with a total loss vehicle then this is Ringing - big no no
        cheeRS

DAVE

Comment

alot of the cars dave werent The RS shell anyway and they did use off the peg shells as they were only going to be modified anyway.

Even logged as sports as well
          MK2 member 091, RSOC member 2675, RS18 No 001, HRE7724 /50

My Car in the VbGarage and in My Album

Comment

Seriously though, if you've got an original RS shell and the original shell is absolutely ****ed then it's justifiable.

Takes the p.... somewhat of the blokes that restore such shells though, either to keep it original or can't get their hands on or afford a repair shell.

I'd always try to retain the old shell as long as poss, for one thing, if by some freak the old shell gets wound around a lamp post or whatever then you can always use the new shell, once a new shell gets ****ed then that's your lot.

I don't believe in using blingy stuff myself just for the sake of it, especially as much of the old parts can be repaired and brought up to a very good standard anyway.

It's just robbing the market of parts, that others desperately need as their car is missing these parts or just need the odd bit to sort them, especially VGC v low mileage cars, sseems a waste to me to renew stuff that's in fine working order in the first place

If I wanted to buy a genuine rally car as something for my personal pleasure / collection the car would have to have the original shell, or else "it's not the car that won XXX rally" and Vatanen, Clark or Waldegard didn't drive it etc etc, which surely is the point in buying such a car these days.

Very few would buy such a car to rally it, as there is better technology available these days and usually at more reasonable prices too!

Comment

Is MTW still for sale then? it's been up for sale for a few years now.

Other than VLE there is unlikely to be a works car left in the word still on it's original shell.

Comment

So say for arguments sake, A "friend" of mine happened to own a Mk2 Mexico that was absolutely beyond repair in any shape or form what so ever. Then this same "friend" just happened to have built up a semi Gp4 spec Mk2 shell from a mint Sport. If said "friend" were to register said Sport shell as a Mexico (If he had the tags and V5 that is) for his own personal use with no intention of selling. Then this would be fine??

This "friend" would never do it with the intention of ripping anyone off as the car in question is not for sale and also quite well know anyway. My "friend" just wanted to be incuded in RS shows and felt a bit left out like.

This "friend" also has an envelope with some rusty flakes, dust caps and of course the VIN and Body tags for three Mk2 Rs2000's as well.

But he quites like the idea of naming his car "MEXIGO", and thats not a typo.

So what would you sugest I, err I mean He does in this case??

CheeRS
                RSOC # 15852

New Zealand RSOC Editor

Comment

Originally posted by TimGR View Post
                  Is MTW still for sale then? it's been up for sale for a few years now.

Other than VLE there is unlikely to be a works car left in the word still on it's original shell.
                  Yes it was back in 2005 when I was looking, I had themoney at the time but bottled out of it. WOuld have been atthe expense of buying my house when I came back to the UK. I have some nice pics on my lap top some place, will have to dig them out?
                  RSOC # 15852

New Zealand RSOC Editor

Comment

well ford it it all the time, take a 1300 gt shell a few strengthening plates here and there and hey presto type 49.
                    as dave said if you can prove the shell your using isnt stolen than whats the problem.
                    theres the old saying , original broom but its had seven handels and 5 heads, some of these cars that get restored now and far from being original i.e with new inner and outer wings, floors, qtrs etc etc.
                    surely all those people are doing is transferring there id onto a new set of body panels ?
                    so many people get hung up about it but the mg boys etc have been doing it for years with their heritage shells etc and they still retain the original reg etc ?

Comment

So say for arguments sake, A "friend" of mine happened to own a Mk2 Mexico that was absolutely beyond repair in any shape or form what so ever. Then this same "friend" just happened to have built up a semi Gp4 spec Mk2 shell from a mint Sport. If said "friend" were to register said Sport shell as a Mexico (If he had the tags and V5 that is) for his own personal use with no intention of selling. Then this would be fine??

This "friend" would never do it with the intention of ripping anyone off as the car in question is not for sale and also quite well know anyway. My "friend" just wanted to be incuded in RS shows and felt a bit left out like.

This "friend" also has an envelope with some rusty flakes, dust caps and of course the VIN and Body tags for three Mk2 Rs2000's as well.

So what would you sugest I, err I mean He does in this case??

CheeRS
                      As I say, if the shell's just gone too far no-one's got anything against a re-shell.

It's not even really got anything to do with anyone else. Only if the car is re-sold should the prospective buyer be told that there's been at least one re-shell.

If Gp4 style mods have been done it starts to blur any lines that may be drawn anyway, I'd just get it done if I was you ......errr.. I mean your friend

Comment

I had a "friend" who had a MONTEGO will that do ?

Tell you "friend" Just Do It - He wont be the first and he certainly wont be the last !
                        cheeRS

DAVE

Comment

I have no inlking on this thorny subject whatsoever.

I'll ask the and get back to you. Ok?
                          sigpic

Comment

Cheers, I knew, err, he knew you would understand!! AT least this way nothing is hidden I suppose.

I personally own both the Mexico and 16 Sport, with both cars being registered in my name. Along with three RS2000's, but thats another story. SO I am not ripping anyone off nor cheating anyone but myself at the end of the day. I can always swap back??

MEXIGO it is then...
                            RSOC # 15852

New Zealand RSOC Editor

Comment

Oh yes, most of the slavage did not just get binned. Its all over in Eire and going towards making a tired Mex over there live again. SO not all in vane!

CheeRS
                              RSOC # 15852

New Zealand RSOC Editor

Comment

Working...
                              X