Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

160 Miles before AA call out...Not Bad!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 160 Miles before AA call out...Not Bad!!!!

Well ive had to have the AA out to the car today ,Ive done 160 miles since getting it back together so thats not too bad

Battery is not holding charge so looks like i need a new alternator and or battery

Are these still readily available for mk2's ?

cheers
    sigpic

I bought a new battery for my last car, I think it was about £40 (ish). I've also just bought a new alternator (exchange) for £69 +VAT. That was for a 72 amp job which I think is a good idea.

Another £100 down the pan eh Gaz ? Easy come - easy go !

RSOC Member - 6960

Comment

Tell me about it , i wanted to use that £100 for other bits for the car

Hopefully it will just be a bad earth so im going to check the earths and go from there
      sigpic

Comment

Best thing you can do is get down to your local spares shop and get them to do a battery/Charging check Should be free of charge. Battery you need is an 085.
        Autumn Has Arrived by Kevin Frost, on Flickr

CHES'S UNDERSTUDY...........

Comment

The AA chap did a test today and said the alternator is not charging the battery , he also said to check the earths as it could be that .

Before the AA came out to it i flashed the lights to a mate and the rev counter dropped right down , which indicated the alternator was ****ed , but since the AA got it going for me again ive tried flashing the lights and everyting semms ok, i.e no drop in the needle on the rev counter.
          sigpic

Comment

.... get them to do a battery/Charging check; Should be free of charge.
            LOL !!!

If the battery's free of charge, the bill won't be!!!

Comment

Diesel Mk2 Granada battery same size and only a little more in price and more powerful - best bet for any RS2?

Comment

Alternator brushes?

Voltage reg?

Belt tension?

My alternator looked like it had done similar to your last year at the old skool trackday - bought a spare for £20 at AVO day, which got me home no bother.

Took the old alternator to the autospark and it was perfect.

Only conclusion - the connection at the back of the alternator was probably dirty and wasn't allowing current to pass properly. Changing the unit cleaned it.

I have good spare alt. though
                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                X