Sensible Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sensible Question

Anyone on here taken ill health retirement ?
    Have been advised by 3 doctors to finish work , including our works doctor.
    Been looking into the money side of things , mortgage etc but wondered if there were any allowances etc that can be claimed. Obviously a big decision to make as despite Spence trying to say different I am only 38.

Serious replies appreciated
    sigpic

If you are put out of work due to Ill health you would be entitled to DLA Disability Living Allowance, depending on condition also Mobility Allowance

info here http://www.direct.gov.uk/DisabledPeo...amp;chk=j4gVFM

at the bottom of that page is also Incapacity Benefit

Hope it does not come to this at your age Paul but best of luck with it all

Citizens Advice know all the things too if you have a meeting with them
    Last edited by Banishit; 28-10-2006, 21:54.

Comment

this lot too

Incapacity Benefit is help if you could not work because of an illness or disability before 31 January 2011 - it's being replaced with Employment and Support Allowance (ESA).

Comment

Brian,
        many thanks for that , some good advice on there. Think I may retire to the Algarve and send back rust free shells to pay my way
        sigpic

Comment

Sorry to hear you may be in this position Paul, best bet would be to go and see someone at your local DSS office I think. There are so many different schemes available I wonder if anyone could make sense of it all from leaflets etc. - best just to explain it all to someone who can tell you exactly what the score is. Your wife/partner might be able to get some sort of attendance allowance for 'helping to look after you' - my partner's sister gets it for helping their father.

RSOC Member - 6960

Comment

as you no paul..."i'm short"...it's due to a bone problem i have got.
            if you need any help with the "DLA" let me no.

as i claim this myself i'm only 33 and i have been in medical retirement
            for 8 years now. but i do need 2 new knees and my wrist's are shot to
            i also have "IBS" due to my short bones so all my meaty bits are stuffed in a small body.

it's not to bad to get the help aslong as you have the help from your own doctor or the hospital doctor as the "DLA" will wright to them for a report
            on your problems.

you will only get help from the "DLA" if you cannot walk far and have pain when you walk.

and the care help is if you need help with cooking help with washing and your toilet needs and other stuff like this.

i got "DLA" for help in getting around they call it cos i carnt walk far or stand to long but i do have pills i take for this when i go to the shows and working on the car.

like i say paul if you need any info or help with the forms or what benifit you might get let me know.

cheeRS
            sigpiccheeRS paul

Comment

Originally posted by arron
              Sorry to hear you may be in this position Paul, best bet would be to go and see someone at your local DSS office I think. There are so many different schemes available I wonder if anyone could make sense of it all from leaflets etc. - best just to explain it all to someone who can tell you exactly what the score is. Your wife/partner might be able to get some sort of attendance allowance for 'helping to look after you' - my partner's sister gets it for helping their father.
              you can only get this allowance if the person is getting the care part of the "DLA"
              not if you only get the mobillty part.

trust me i no alot about this as i have gone through the mill with the "DSS".

you can also claim incapacity benifit aswell you start on a low rate then it goes up the longer your on it....i get £190 every 2 weeks + my "DLA"
              it's not much but it helps.
              sigpiccheeRS paul

Comment

retirement!!!!!!!!!!! ,thought you had.
                HOPE EVERYTHINGS OK MATE,TAKE CARE
                sigpic

Too old of a to be F**ked by kittens

RS MK2 CLUB NO/10

RSOC NO/22171

Comment

Originally posted by RUDDY
                  Anyone on here taken ill health retirement ?

Dave, can we make this is sticky for Pop robson and mr Frost

only joking guys........

paul, hope things work out ok,

cheeRS
                  sigpic

Comment

Paul,

that's called WAO overhere.
                    Sometimes people who (have to) enter the WAO (-scheme) will have to "eat" all their savings and property before they receive any money as compensation.
                    Hope things are different over there.

Good luck my man, take care.

Comment

Incapacity benifit is now means tested so if you're getting a works pension chances are you won't qualify.

DLA is really hard to get unless you are really seriously incapacitated or lie thu your teeth.

Hopefully your works pension will be half your final salary and you should expect a good lump sum of at least one maybe up to three years wages.

Find out if your ill health pension is paid from the pension fund or wether they buy an annuity. If it's the latter you will be able to work part time without having to wear a balaclava.

I wouldn't rely, or put much hope in the Government helping much. Anything from them I would consider a bonus. If you can't live on half wages then you're going to have to use up or hide any savings you have before they step in.

Sorry it's got to this, its not a nice position to be in.
                      Mike
                      We're not Brazil, we're Northern Ireland

Comment

I hope everything works out for the best for you Paul.
                        Autumn Has Arrived by Kevin Frost, on Flickr

CHES'S UNDERSTUDY...........

Comment

Working...
                        X