Comment

• Tank Cuuters

John,

I've got a set of tank cutters you can borrow
      Rob

You have a PM

John

Comment

• (Out of interest, where did you get your exhaust manifold from? That looks really nice...)

Comment

• (Out of interest, where did you get your exhaust manifold from? That looks really nice...)
          Jon

The exhaust manifold was made by Tony Law. He is based near Leeds.

John

Comment

• John,

I've got a set of tank cutters you can borrow
            Rob

I used a set of tank cutters from work. Job done. Thanks for the offer.

John

Comment

• Induction Update

A quick update.

40mm ram pipes arrived in the week.
              Back plate holes machined out to 45mm.

ITG fitted over 40mm rams.

John
              Last edited by John Hall; 13-01-2009, 18:50. Reason: Edited for missing picture links

Comment

• mint..................
                Too old of a cat 🐱 to be f--ked by a kitten

Comment

• what an awesome looking bit of kit

Sideways Always

Comment

• can't wait to see this finished, looks the part in there John
                    MK2 member 091, RSOC member 2675, RS18 No 001, HRE7724 /50

My Car in the VbGarage and in My Album

Comment

• Originally posted by Dave1800BDA View Post
                      can't wait to see this finished, looks the part in there John

and i bet it will sound the nuts to....
                      sigpiccheeRS paul

Comment

• An absolute work of art John.
                        Autumn Has Arrived by Kevin Frost, on Flickr

CHES'S UNDERSTUDY...........

Comment

• I fitted the two centre ram pipes and tried to fit the air cleaner. But the rams are too long and the air cleaner will not get in between the end of the rams and the inner wing. The only solution is shorter ram pipes of 40mm. The 40mm rams will change the shape of the torque curve, making more peak power and reducing the peak torque figure. But being a 2.3 the torque will be still good.

Can't the torque be brought back to that which you originally invisaged?

The intake resonates in a sinus wave surely? If so this the amplitude of the sinus wave will be replicated one πlater.

i.e. you should be able to shorten those trumpets an extra X (5 mm or so) to get back to the original figures, by moving the place where the positive peak or negative trough of the wave exits the trumpet, I would have thought.

Comment

• very nice

Comment

• Dave

can't wait to see this finished, looks the part in there John
                              Will be out and about later this year, but I want to do the Lakes in 2008 with it.

rwdrs

Can't the torque be brought back to that which you originally invisaged?

The intake resonates in a sinus wave surely? If so this the amplitude of the sinus wave will be replicated one πlater.

i.e. you should be able to shorten those trumpets an extra X (5 mm or so) to get back to the original figures, by moving the place where the positive peak or negative trough of the wave exits the trumpet, I would have thought.
                              To dampen out the pulse wave effect caused by the opening and closing of the intake valves, the optimum length of the ram pipes is 90mm for the 2.3 Duratec. Any length shorter than this will be a compromise and will reduce the peak torque produced. But the flip side of this is, the shorter the ram pipe, the peak torque is increased. Also there needs to be a 25mm gap between the end of the ram pipe bell mouth and the inner wing or air filter. There only is 105mm between the air filter back plate and the inner wing, so 90mm rams plus air filter was impossible. I took a gamble with 60mm rams but I could not get the air cleaner to fit. The spec of my engine is a Raceline 250 and should produce a peak value 190 pound / foot of torque at 5000rpm and 250 bhp at 6000rpm with 60mm rams. Jenvey only make 20, 40, 60, 90 & 120mm ram pipes, so I had to go for the next shortest length of 40mm to get it all to fit. Hopefully the torque reduction will not be too large and the extra torque produced by the 2.3 when compared to the 2.0 and the weight of the car will make up the difference. There is a possibility that when the engine comes out for the engine bay re-spray, it will be mapped on Dyno and I can see the true effect of the shorter ram pipes.

John

Comment

• I like it A LOT !!!
                                RSOC # 15852

New Zealand RSOC Editor

Comment

Working...
                                X